1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Homphobic Experiences...

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by ascenseur, Sep 29, 2010.

1. ascenseur

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Hey Everyone :slight_smile:

I have been trawling through documents online, and a statistic from the charity Stonewall has really struck me hard.

It said that 96% of teachers had recieved no training whatsoever in how to tackle and challenge homophobic bullying.

I've been given the chance to do a training session with teachers on behalf of the peer-mentoring group I run, based on the fact that I pushed and pushed it with the principal.
    I'm ecstatic about this, as it means I can really make a difference :slight_smile:

However, I am going to have to use different ways of educating them than I did for other groups, so I was wondering if you could help me.

Have you experienced Homophobic Bullying in an Educational or Work Situation (be it as a student or as a member of staff - I would love to have some from both sides)?

If so, could you please either add them to this thread, or if you dont want them posted far and wide, PM me?

None of them will be identified by name, but I would be really grateful if you could help me with this.

Big Hugs to all (&&&)

Joe
    x

2. booby

okay , im still at school so i still get bullied

actually , even teachers bully me : ive heard remarks from teachers like 'stop talking rainbow boy' , 'you seem to like to sit on guys' laps' ? (thats funny xD) or 'you eat alot of cucumbers , dont you ?' its annoying , and teachers actually point and laugh at me sometimes

When i first moved to a new school , guys wouldnt sit next to me because i was gay , i would always end up sitting in the corner , it's sad .. there was this one guy who when our eyes met , would look at me from top to bottom and have this disgusted look on his face (as if he looked better than a groomed gorilla) and say hurtful remarks like 'what are u looking at faggot' or 'go get fucked'

when a shirtless guy came up in a book or someone took of their shirt/pants (hell , shoes!) ppl would turn around at me and say things like ''ooh , he's smiling'' or ''he likes this'' and the teacher would be in class and it's so embarrassing

im lucky to not have been physically hurt alot , but emotionally it has caused me alot of stress. there were 3-4 guys who would always punch my shoulder really hard or just hit me or kick me because it said it would make me a man .. my shoulders became purple and i could only wear long shirts (even in my house) and i was beaten so hard i went to the bathroom crying and alot of guys followed me and some teachers it was so humiliating

i know i dont get treated differently , alot of guys point and try to grope me and threaten me (especially in ksa , some old guy said that he would tell the principal and the authorities about me .. talk about freaking out)

im sure this isnt even close to what others have been through but im still in grade 8 (staring grade 9 in a couple of days) so im sure there will be more bullying in the next 4 years :S

3. OontzOontzOontz

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    My eighth grade year was pretty bad for bullying. I made the mistake of asking a girl (a very straight girl) out and she outed me to my entire class. I never had any issues with teachers joining in on the bullying, but they didn't exactly help when I asked for it.

I always wore guy clothes. There were a couple of boys who used to tease me about it and used to ask me if I wanted to be a guy. They'd wait until it got real quiet in the classroom and then they would ask. I always had to look up at the ceiling or at the floor in the locker room after gym to avoid trouble. Some girls would purposely move their desks away from me (more than just a few centimeters) and give me a disgusted look and then laugh with their friends.

There was always plenty of verbal insults in my direction. I know that some of my teachers heard the comments, but more than likely chose to ignore them or pretend like they didn't happen. I went to the counselor and the principal multiple times, but they didn't really do anything. Most of the time they just told me that if I ignored the teasing, it would stop. Unfortunately, it's not easy to ignore stuff like that and it doesn't stop.

4. Celestial

Celestial Guest

I'm the type of person who usually and has beat the living shit out of homophobes or racists. :slight_smile:

<3 Bodybuilding.

5. Alex1705

Not out,but my chem teacher made it PRETTY clear she hates "queers".
    She said she wouldn't be teaching somebody if they were gay.
    Little does she know.

6. Pepsi

Pepsi Guest

I never personally experienced any homophobic experiences in school but a health teacher in the high school I went to once said of homosexuals "Well we just have to put up with them I suppose." It really sickened me that a health teacher, any teacher really but especially a health teacher, would say something like that. I often wonder of how many gay/lesbian/bi/etc. heard him say something like that.

OH and of course, I would love if teachers stopped students from saying fagot, fag, gay (when used to describe something in a negative way), and other words like that. It always upset me that teachers just sat there while students screamed such obscenities. Students would get in a lot of trouble for saying the N word but most of the teachers I had would probably have said fagot themselves. I only ever had three teachers my entire time in high school that would say something if someone said a derogatory term for gay.

7. peaceandlies

I'm in school, and I just came out there. On my first day, my tutor said 'You better not come in wearing that t-shirt here again. It would send the wrong message about who you are'.
    I said 'What, you mean the rainbow?'.
    'Yes. You do know what it means?'
    'I am a lesbian, if thats what you're asking'.

She'd been my teacher for three years, and she's acted very differently around me since then. I also compared notes with friends, and she's still acted the saem around them. I got a dentention today for not handing homework in, when five other people in the class didn't either. They got a 'bring it in tomorrow'.

My english teacher, upon the discovery that I'm Gay, has been making very pointed comments about various gay people in history, insitunating that members of the british royal family were gay, and ignoring my questions. She also points very sexual comments at me.

Since I came out, there's actually been less queer related bullying, but in the past I got tonnes of it. I couldn't walk two steps down a corridor without 'Dyke' or 'Faggot' being hurled at me. since then, i've started using both those names to describe myself, not in a self hating way, but part of pride.

8. British Lad

British Lad Guest

I have never Had any homophobic bulling because A. everybody likes me B.I have a brown belt in Jujitsu and If I got pissed of enough I would break there arm or batter them or something.

9. Frer3

I got spit on the other day. I'm not out to the world yet, but this one kid suspects. I was taking a nap during lunch and this kid sat down on a nearby bench, called me a fag, and spit on me and my stuff.

10. Alex19

ok r all u for real? i cant believe these stories... theyre so fuckin horrible. if i were u guys i would seriously b in bad shape. i hate to say it, but no wonder kids go and shoot up schools. of course.

luckily for me the high school i went to was very very very accepting and pen minded. nobody had an issue with gay people and if they did they kept it a secret cuz THEY were the minority. i never went through any bs whatsoever even tho my straight friends told me that everyone in the school knew i was gay. lol!

also, i guess it depends where u live. i live in new york/ the north so stuff like that is pretty uncommon here. if i lived in the south or some places in the midwest i suppose it would b a diff story

11. djt820

One time, this kid was telling me "YOU TAKE THINGS UP THE BUTT, FAG" so I turned around, punched him in the fucking face and knocked him out right then and there. And then I said "NEXT TIME IT WILL BE IN YOUR ASS MOTHER FUCKER."

12. yourillusion

Man, I was closeted all through school. Now I know why. I feel like I should apologize to you folks for hiding all through school and hiding from myself too. You all are far stronger than I ever was to put up with all of that, I admire you.

13. Pseudojim

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    when i was dressed as ziggy stardust at a party, makeup and all (only thing missing was one brown-coloured contact lens), a friend of a friend was making veiled homophobic comments toward the end of the party, when everyone was well and truly drunk. I usually let all of them slide, good to be philosophical about things... but in this case i was drunk enough for it to stick in my craw, and i stood up and called him a bigoted fuck and if he wasn't afraid of someone he calls 'faggy', he wouldn't mind stepping outside with them and proving it.

He backed down, and actually apologised, but it's still not quite my style. Going back in time, i'd have handled it differently.