1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Westboro Baptist Church to protest at my college

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by EWU2012, Oct 4, 2010.

1. EWU2012

So I just had a friend send me an IM on facebook saying that the church will be picketing at my University on Oct. 21st. I was so shocked because it is such a small University in a small town. Both of us are on the student government here so we are already trying to figureout what we will do when they come. I also told another friend who works in the Pride Center for the LGBT here on campus and he is also trying to decide what to do. I know this will definitely be a topic of discussion at our upcoming meeting.

Here is what they say about my University on why they are picketing:

"WBC to picket Eastern Washington University to preach the only Gospel truth the students and faculty of this cesspool masquerading as a university will ever hear.

These college students spend more time pursuing their drunken sins than their academic studies. Their professors happily teach them the ubiquitous lie that "it's OK to be gay":bang: and its just fine to flip off God and mock His servants. The full time occupation of both the professors and students is to make provision for the flesh, all day, everyday. WBC is coming to Eastern Washington University to tell you what the Lord your God has to say about that, to wit:"

They pretty much say the same thing for all colleges but what gets me is that they call my university a "cesspoll masquerading as a university" I am just really fired up now. :tantrum: And people wonder why kids get the idea that being gay is "wrong" and decide to take their lives.

Here is the link to their page with their schedule:

http://www.godhatesfags.com/schedule.html

2. yourillusion

Wow, I'd never ventured to their website before. That's so screwed up. I think a nice counter-demonstration would be if nobody came outside at all. Like the whole campus went inside buildings and dorms, drew the shades and ignored them entirely. The best would be if the media did the same, but you know they won't. :\

Good luck, keep us updated!

3. British Lad

British Lad Guest

lol I got a blank page

4. Miss Bubbles

:***::***::***::tantrum::tantrum: Those S***** motherf******!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! OH MY GODDESS!!!!!!!!! I am going to steal my mas car and drive my happy fag ass over there and show them a thing or two about loving thine neighbor!!!!!!!!!!!! And by love i mean bash their flipping heads in with a branch!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! People like them are so counter-productive!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! As more people think we are ok they come along and start spouting bullshit!!!!! Don't they understand man can't speak for their lord!!!!!!!!!!! It goes against what they believe in. Man is so fallible!!!!!!!!! I mean even their angels can't change even a syllable other wise they are damned for eternity!!!!!!!!!! I mean come on they make me sick thinking that its ok to tell people they are worthless and disgusting!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I am so pissed right now!!!!!!!!!!! :***::***::***::tantrum::tantrum::tantrum:

5. Revan

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    All I ask...is that you please have a peaceful protest if you do so. Though I would just ignore them. They're like the homeless of South Park, you give them attention, they multiply or at least get stronger and more news coverage. They thrive on this....

6. Miss Modular

This. And remember that they've had years - maybe decades - of doing these protests. They know exactly what they can and can't do. This is their job. They're relying on people to get upset and argue with them. It gives them validation. Ignoring them is probably your best bet.

7. djt820

[​IMG]

8. peaceandlies

Counter demonstrate. get everyone you can, including straight people who might stick up for your rights, and prostest. PEACEFULLY. without messages of hate.

personally, i just wouldn't be capable of ignoring them. if you ask me, it makes the world think we arent able to stand up for ourselfs. we'll have a much better image with a peaceful demonstration

9. AlyssWonderland

This. They're attention whores, any form of contact with them will just make them stronger and more dedicated... I wouldn't even counter-protest (as much as I do love the funny signs people come up with).

10. EWU2012

I know it probably is best to not give them any attention but sorry I just can't do that. Someone has already created a facebook event page for a counter protest. Why not show the WBC that our college doesn't agree with their views. Plus we don't plan on being violent in any way. It's just to let them know how strongly we disagree. Some people are also talking about just making it a big party feeling around them with Lady Gaga music blasting because we all know how much they love her!! haha

11. OontzOontzOontz

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    They came to my university a year or more ago. I wasn't a student at that time, but people did counter-protest. The guy who was spewing his hatred in the amphitheater didn't really care what they were saying to him, but from what I saw in the pictures, a lot of people (heterosexuals and homosexuals) came together. It was a relatively peaceful counter-protest and it was nice to see students from various walks of life unite against WBC's bullcrap.

12. Lady Gaga

Lady Gaga Guest

Be a dear and punch them all in the face for us all ^-^

Punch them in the face with words, not fists though! :grin: That way you don't get arrested for assault and there is a probability..that is rather high, that they will do something stupid and get themselves arrested. ^___^

13. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    First, it's worth knowing that they send press releases all the time, but don't show up for more than half of the places they say they're going to protest.

Second, the thing they want more than anything else is for someone to stage a counter-protest and for a bunch of people to come out and make a spectacle. So if you email everyone on campus and encourage them to completely ignore them -- don't listen, don't respond, don't counter-protest -- THAT is the one thing they hate, and can't do anything about.

I know there's an overwhelming urge to go out and show them they're wrong, but... they are looney tunes. Even the baptist association wishes they'd go away. So the less attention you give them, the better.

(BTW, this is not only my advice, but the thoughts of gay groups at several schools where they've previously protested, and is exactly the way that Oberlin handled their planned visit (to protest the appointing of a "fag" football coach). What happened was, the WBC people got wind of the fact that there would be no protest and an organized attempt to ignore them, and so they decided not to come. Which was exactly the best solution... no opportunity for them to spread their hatred.

The sooner people learn that, the sooner these dirtbags will become irrelevant.

14. Shevanel

Teehee.

15. Frer3

Cruised their site. GOD, THESE PEOPLE ARE IDIOTS!! CAN THEY ACTUALLY BELIEVE THAT GOD HATES EVERYBODY WHO DOESN'T BELONG TO THE WBC?? God created everybody. He can't hate somebody for being who He made them. God loves me. I never doubt that even for a minute.

16. gazwkd

gazwkd Guest

I think the best thing that can be done in regards to these idiots is not to react at all. It's what they are after as a counter demonstration will just cause media interest and be a good PR coo for them.
    If they are ignored they will just be an annoyance more than anything.

17. RaRa

I'm with Chip. If these losers came anywhere near my school I'd tell everyone exactly that- ignore the fuckers because it'll make them cry.

18. booby

well , ill probably throw rocks at them .. but that's just me :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

19. Pseudojim

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    they're retards, ignore them. "don't feed the trolls".

20. tijuana212

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Seconded. WBC is the best troll irl ever.
    Behave as if they aren't there if they do show up.