1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

born it

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Joppo, Jan 17, 2006.

1. Joppo

is ppl born gay or jus happens wenever?

2. Paul_UK

Paul_UK Guest

That's a really good question. I don't think there is a definitive agreed answer (experts never agree anyway), though I think the balance is towards "born gay".

Religion of course has completely different views (which are of no interest or relevance to me, but obviously are important to some people).

It'll be interesting to hear what people here think.

I think I was probably born gay, but I can't be certain. For a while I thought that my experiences at an all-boys boarding school when I was 11 to 16 made me gay. I now think it is more likely that they made me realise that I was gay, and that I would have realised sooner or later anyway.

Of course it is impossible to know because I am not going to get the chance to relive those years in a mixed-sex school. Since I was sent to the boarding school due to being a bullying vistim in mainstream education, I wouldn't want to relive those years at a regulat school anyway!

I told my parents that it is how I was born, just like some people are born left-handed, because this way they are less likely to blame themselves.

Ultimately though, it doesn't matter. Whether I was born gay or whether I became gay due to something in my upbringing, it is how I am and it is something I can't change (again I don't believe the religions who claim that I can). So for me there is no point in wondering how it came about. What is more important is accepting the situation as it is - which I finally did when I was 27.

3. Well, I think genetics (being born a certain way) probably plays a major role. I'm not sure if that is the deciding factor. For example, during the Human Genome Project, where scientists catalogued all the different genes Humans have and what they do, they found there is a gene for "faith." Now, this doesn't mean your genetic code commands you to believe in God, it means that if you have it, you are more inclined to want some sort of other thing to believe in and rely in, and as society formed, this would have lead to the creation of religion (because regardless of if there is a God or, a bunch of gods, or none at all, religion was made by people).

Aside from that random fact, my Grandfather is gay (he came out only a few years ago, and I'm guessing that when he was younger, and before he was married it didn't appear as an option to him to come out...that or he didn't realize it, but regardless of all that, he had a family and is now gay, that's the point). And here I am, not caring about genders when I'm attracted to people. Not a definite connection, but y'never know.

That's my two cents anyway.