1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Does anyone speak fluent Spanish?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by GhostDog, Oct 13, 2010.

1. GhostDog

Hey! I'm really sorry if this is a bad place to put this, but the girl who said she'd translate something for me hasn't been answering her phone all day and I'm in a bit of a bind. >.<

If you speak fluent Spanish and have a thorough enough understanding of it to know what language level kindergarten through fifth grade students would be at, would you be willing to translate some directions and simple information for me? :X We're doing an art activity night thing and some of the students don't speak English very well, so I thought it would be good to have some written directions in Spanish on a poster for them.

I was kind of counting on having them translated by now, and I need them in the next twelve hours so I'm sort of in panic mode and posting this everywhere I can think of. If anyone could be of assistance, you will have my undying internet-love!

2. Frer3

I'll try. I know some. Hit me.

3. GhostDog

Ah dang, I was going to PM you but it won't let me. So I'll just copypasta in heres. Don't worry about anything not in quotes. If you're like "homg, I'd need a dictionary and 2 hours to do this", don't worry about it, but I appreciate the volunteering! <3

For the Mola station -

"From the Kuna culture, from Panama and Colombia. Molas are colorful and patterned pieces of cloth used in clothing.

Directions -

1. Pick a large fabric square.

2. Cut out shapes, or pick some shapes from the table.

3. Use shapes to create a pattern or a picture on the square."

For the Papel Picado station -

"From Mexico. Papel Picado is the art of papercutting. Artists make many patterned pieces of paper and hang them like flags during holidays like Easter, Christmas, and the Day of the Dead.

Directions -

1. Fold a square of paper in half, and in half again.

2. Fold it at the corner.

3. Cut out shapes.

4. Unfold it."

For the Guatemalan Worry Dolls station -

"From Guatemala. Children create one doll for each worry, and tell the doll what they are worried about before bed. They put the doll under their pillow, and the doll is supposed to worry for them.

Directions -

1. Pick a piece of wood.

2. Make clothes for your doll with felt.

3. Make a face for your doll with markers.

4. Decorate your doll with anything else you want."

For the Brazilian Carnaval masks -

"From Brazil. The Carnaval is a celebration held 40 days before Easter. People make masks to wear for the festival.

1. Pick out a plate

2. Decorate the plate with markers, feathers, glue, or anything you want.

3. Glue a popsicle stick to the back. Wait for it to dry.

4. Wear your mask!"

For the watercolor Dia de los Muertos station -

"From Mexico. Dia de los Muertos is a holiday to pray for and remember friends and family members who have died. Colorful skeletons are used to decorate for this holiday.

1. Draw a skeleton with a white or light crayon.

Skeletons are often dressed in colorful clothes, or doing things that living people do. What is your skeleton wearing? What is your skeleton doing?

2. Paint with watercolor. The paint will not stay where the crayon is!

3. Finish your painting however you like."

4. Chandra

I'm not fluent enough to help, but if you get really desperate you could always use Google Translate. I can vouch that it generally does a pretty decent job translating between English and French, and the same is probably true for Spanish.

5. GhostDog

I may have to resort to that. I may get lucky and the girl will check her email in the next twelve hours, too, but as the night grows later I think the likelihood less and less. o_o Thanks for the recommendation!

6. Dewey

Hey, if you need some relatively quick (and accurate) translations go to Lang-8.com (I feel like I'm advertising something...and I guess I am :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:). It's basically a language learning site where people of different language backgrounds correct each others work. For you, since you need a translation, you just need to ask an english speaking spanish person to translate your work. I don't know how long it usually takes for spanish people to reply as I don't know how many use the site. But it's worth a try. Good Luck!:smilewave

---------- Post added 13th Oct 2010 at 10:39 PM ----------

Oh, and by the way, try not to use google translate (although it IS a good tool to have for small translations). From an online translator point of view it does a pretty good job, but from a linguistic point of view it sucks horribly.

7. Frer3

I'm clueless. It's been to long! *Runs away pulling hair*

8. Danny19

i do.. idk if u still need help tho

9. GhostDog

I got it translated. Thank you though. =)

10. IsItSo

Out Status:
    A few people
    I do - in my imagination. My Spanish knowledge is limited to understanding it only if the person speaking it is speaking really slowly.

11. peaceandlies

If this isnt too late, I'ev lived in spain for 8 years, and have spanish qualifiacations. pm me/ ask me here