1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I helped the BEST customer ever today at work.

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by MusicIsLife, Oct 23, 2010.

1. MusicIsLife

Sooo FYI I work at a bookstore. I was on the second floor where we keep our sociology/psych/self help/business etc books and I was checking to see if there were any books from my department to put away.

Suddenly one of my coworkers comes over with a customer and starts typing in a search, looking kind of uncomfortable as he said, "So that's transgender right?" I perk up and tell my coworker I know exactly where those books are. He looks so relieved and I take the customer.

So its this middle aged woman, who tells me shes a social worker, and wants a help book for one of her older clients (she referred to them as "he" but I didnt ask whether it was ftm or mtf, I didnt feel i needed to know). So I show her what we have, which isnt much, and I kind of tell her my own story with coming out and such, and cartain websites she might try, while shocking her that I knew about PFLAG and several other local groups. She gave me her card "In case I ever need to talk" as she put it, and went on her merry way.

The thing that excites me is that this woman wasn't exactly young, but she discussed trans and queer issues with me as if it was a conversation about the weather. No big deal. If there's anything that gives me hope for less hate crimes of the LGBT community, it was her.

2. beckyg

beckyg Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    What a great coincidence that you two met up like that! That's what I call a "PFLAG moment!" :slight_smile: