1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Anyone Know Portland. OR at all?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Blueeyes, Oct 2, 2007.

1. Blueeyes

Blueeyes Guest

I think I'm applying to Reed college out there and I was wondering what the weather is like in Oregon, or more specifically in portland

2. beckyg

beckyg Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Well, it rains quite a bit there but I think it would be worth it. Portland is a fabulous city with lots of culture and very gay friendly. My son is currently living in Hillsboro which is on the outskirts of Portland. It's one of the beautiful bigger cities that I have visited. Of course, I may be biased. :icon_wink

3. ampthejazz

Oh I got excited. I live in Portland, Maine, not Oregon.

4. bvtsjm116

bvtsjm116 Guest

Hmm, I also thought there was a portland in washington cause when our family visits seattle for my dad's business trips there (usually once each summer and we tag along :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:) I remember seeing it in washington...

But I think it'd be rainy in Oregon.

5. /thread hijack/

I was actually planning on applying to Reed next year. Even if it is uber-expensive, Reed definitely seems like a good school that has a lot of opportunities to offer.

/end hijack/

Anyway, I'm not exactly knowledgeable about the Pacific Northwest, but according to Wikipedia:

"Portland's climate is temperate and seasonal. The rainfall averages 36.3 inches per year. Portland averages 155 days with measurable precipitation a year. Snowfall is uncommon, generally occurring no more than a few times per year, although the city has been known to see major snow and ice storms thanks to cold air outflow from the Columbia River Gorge. The city's winter snowfall totals have ranged from just a trace on many occasions, to 60.9 inches (154.7 cm) in 1892-93. Although it lies in the Marine west coast climate zone, Portland shows many characteristics of a Mediterranean climate. The city has mild, wet winters, and hot, dry summers. The summer months (June through September) mark the driest period, averaging no more than one inch of rain per month, but it is not uncommon for summer months to receive little or no precipitation. November through April is the rainy season, with 80% of the total annual rainfall occurring in those months. Winter low temperatures hover around 35 °F (2 °C), and summer highs average around 80 °F (27 °C), however summer heat waves with temperatures exceeding 100 °F (38 °C) do occur. But for the most part, the Portland summers are very pleasant with abundant sunshine. The lowest temperature ever recorded in Portland was −3 °F (−19 °C), set on February 2, 1950. Portland has recorded a record high temperature of 107 °F (42 °C) numerous times, and temperatures of 100 °F (38 °C) have been recorded in each of the months from May through September."

HTH. Good luck with your application! :slight_smile:

6. Blueeyes

Blueeyes Guest

thanks guys, portland sounds like a cool city so i think i could live with the rain. plus reed seems like a really cool and liberal school, though its more of a safety and i prolly wont end up there if things go my way....

7. pianoguy

ahh
    I'm about a 2 hour drive from Portland
    I love it there , I have family down there
    it is very wet during the fall/winter so be prepared for that
    hahah
    but you come to like it, at least I have
    don't know much about the gay community there
    (the general Pacific northwest is like that )