1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

i need a pianist! (again)

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Pseudojim, Oct 29, 2010.

1. Pseudojim

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hi all!

So, i'm trying to teach myself piano. It seems, through some observations of some musically inclined friends, that i'm very nimble and quick with my fingers, and i can play some pretty complex stuff very quickly... but i struggle with what i'm told is called dynamics, specifically in my left hand. It's really really hard to get the weight on the key just right, even if i slow it down and concentrate. Are there any exercises i can do to improve this side of my playing?

2. Helen

Helen Guest

Hmm...maybe try starting with concentrating on the right hand, and making THAT more pronounced, as opposed to just focusing on the left. That will get you used to the sound, and it might just shift the balance by itself.

Or perhaps it's to do with how your fingers are positioned, are you using the pads of your fingers? If so, you should try to curve your fingers more. Try squeezing a tennis ball for a few seconds several times. That's the kind of hand position you want to achieve.

Good luck! :slight_smile:

3. Pseudojim

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    i am playing both at once, i don't actually play anything just with one hand... it's just that my left really sucks at getting the dynamics right where my right hand seems to get it fairly well.

and yeah i think my wrist is okay, and fingers. They did suck but i got some good advice from a friend on how to properly position them when i play

---------- Post added 29th Oct 2010 at 08:58 PM ----------

if it helps, the piece i am trying to play at the moment is The Heart Asks Pleasure First by michael nyman. I've learned a lot more simple stuff, but i wanted to learn something a bit more difficult as a stepping stone to the kind of stuff i really want to play

4. Helen

Helen Guest

Well if you aren't playing ANYTHING separately, I would recommend that you do that. It's great that you've picked up playing things hands together so fast, but you do need to treat them like separate entities. If you know the piece well, it won't hurt for you to practise the left hand on its own, and it will probably help you control the dynamics.

5. Pseudojim

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    so i should learn both parts separately, and then join them?

[edit] it always seemed so natural to me to learn both together, and it's come fairly quickly... am i missing out on finer details though?

#5 Pseudojim, Oct 29, 2010
    Last edited: Oct 29, 2010
  6. Helen

Helen Guest

You probably are missing out the finer details, yes. There really isn't much of a point in just learning it all at once. When I was first learning I could pick it up very quickly as well, but my teacher always made sure that I practised the parts separately. And it was for just the same reasons; my hands were very unevenly balanced in terms of dynamics, it was all thumpy and completely lacking in musicality :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

So yes, separately is the way to go :3 Like I said, it won't exactly hurt, and it will improve the sound massively.