1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New York City

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by runkidrun1988, Nov 1, 2010.

1. Well, I've often dreamt of moving to New York City. It just seems like such a great place. I know I should visit first and everything. But does anyone here live in New York City? What should I know? And another thing, I'm currently in college and I'm thinking of being a teacher. What kinds of careers, aside from teaching, which is needed everywhere, are big in New York City?

2. Shevanel

New York City is a very large city. Where exactly do you want to live?

3. Umm...haha. I guess that would be something good to look into. I know Manhattan is crazy expensive. I'm honestly not sure....where would you recommend?

4. Shevanel

I lived on Long Island for around 17 years of my life (my first 2 years were in Whitestone NY, a part of Queens). Where I lived on Long Island is approximately half hour (depending on if you're taking a train in) from Manhattan.

Yeah, Manhattan IS crazy expensive. I know that Williamsburg in Brooklyn is a really up and coming part of NYC. Trendy, artsy, and hippy types I guess, sorta like The Village in Manhattan? (I actually haven't been here yet, only going off what my dad told me about it, telling me I'd like it and stuff) It's also right across from Manhattan. Prices are going up fast there though, I know that much.

You should really research more though, how far you could settle on living and stuff from NYC. Tons of people commute from NJ and Long Island and upstate NY each day to work in the city (which is what I assume you want to do), and it's kinda hard to live far away from NYC if you're living in that area anyway. If you want to live in the actual CITY portion of the NY Metro area, then just read into each of the Five Boroughs and check prices and crime stats and make sure you're not getting yourself into a crappy part of Brooklyn or something.

The whole area can be very expensive though, NYC and Long Island alike.

#4 Shevanel, Nov 1, 2010
    Last edited: Nov 1, 2010
  5. I would want to actually live IN the city. I love city life. I'll research the boroughs.

6. Pepsi

Pepsi Guest

Avoid Staten Island. I'm saying this because you clearly want to live in the city, as I one day hope to, and although Staten Island is technically part of the city it isn't really. Its really more like a suburb. Other then that I don't actually know much about living in the City part of the city.

7. Black Cat

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Well I'm in the exact same boat as you. In fact I'm currently starting to save cash now to move there in the future.

I'm afraid the only advice I can offer (being the country-stranded Pennsylvanian that I currently am) is this: Do as much research as you can, the more informed you are about anything the better off you are.

8. Frer3

When I get out of College, I'm going to move to the Village. :grin:

9. Shevanel

Gather lots of moneyz.

10. TheRoof

Me too! (!)I really love love new york. But my sister absolutely loathes manhattan-she lives in upper west side; she says traffic is awful, and you can't take cars at all, high prices...blah blah blah
    oh well, nyc still is like a dream city for me...someday ill live in manhattan like carrie bradshaw lol (<3 sex and the city)

11. Frer3

I wanna live with other fabulous people.

12. Shevanel

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AB-S-gSK0QE[/YOUTUBE]

13. Zach1992

This is my dream too. If I can't get a job in the city then I'm aiming for somewhere just outside of it. Like Jersey.

Hell, I'll take anywhere that'll get me closer than 4 hours away. :lol:

14. Beertruck

For those of you who want to live in New York to live the Sex in the City lifestyle - be prepared to live there for a year or two while blowing all your money and then have to move away when you realize you can't afford it anymore. It's happened to many people I know.

Also: any neighborhood that you've heard of in a cool/great place context is going to be completely unaffordable. This goes double for Manhattan. So unless you have $2-3k to throw around for a one-room apartment, you probably won't be able to afford places like the Village (both East and West), Soho, Chelsea, the Upper East and West Side, Williamsburg, Park Slope or DUMBO in Brooklyn, or really anywhere below 110th Street on Manhattan

Right now, I commute in from New Jersey while trying to save up the money so my commute won't be 2ish hours every morning. Your best bet is to find some nice neighborhood that you haven't heard of until you get to the area - I'm personally aiming at Astoria or Sunnyside in Queens.

15. Shevanel

lul Sex and the City. What a trashy show xD

16. Beertruck

Tell me about it. :rolle:

17. Lexington

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    >>>I wanna live with other fabulous people.

Fabulous people are everywhere. You just have to go looking for them. :slight_smile:

That said, NYC definitely has a "vibe" that I don't get in other cities. It's elusive. Not necessarily bad or good, just different. I think it has at least something to do with piling people on top of one another due to lack of space, rather than other cities (which can fan outwards). I like experiencing it when I'm there, but I'm actually quite happy I live elsewhere. Nice place to visit and all that.

[youtube]J_wi5IhvkKo[/youtube]

Lex

18. GoinStag

In Loving Memory

Yeah, I went there was I was 10 or 11. Manhattan is probably the most amazing place I've ever been to in my life. I loved it.

I'm not gonna say "I'm gonna move there", 'cause it is ridiculously hard to afford living there and everything. I'd like to aim for that, though. I would of course be living in a cheap studio apartment, at least to start out.

I would like to start in Greenwich Village or Soho. Very expensive. I've seen studio apartments in the village for like $700+ :dry:

19. AlyssWonderland

Future starving artist here. I dont really care. :slight_smile:

20. TWestside

TWestside Guest

NYC is the best city on the Earth for me. I wanna live there since i was 6 or 7. Not just because it seems cool and perfect, i feel like i belong there, i have to be there.. :grin: