1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

A question for my bisexuals

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Courtneyyy, Nov 3, 2010.

1. Courtneyyy

So in my teach social studies class (aka, how to teach social studies in k-8 classrooms) my professor asked the class if we knew what LGBTQ stood for and the like. So we got on that topic. My friend is an RA (resident assistant, aka like in charge of people in dorms) and at their training before school started they talked about this and they said that bisexuals don't like to be called bisexual, but the new term was bicurious. I was confused because I'm pretty sure those aren't the same thing, and bicurious is just that, curious.

She said that bisexual sounds so sexual and like you will do anything/anyone. And that bicurious just sounds better and like you're curious about people (wtf)

Question: do people interested in both genders prefer the term bicurious, or bisexual?
    or i guess what term do you prefer?

2. Austin

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm pretty sure it doesn't matter what they prefer. They are two different things.

Bicurious - Straight, but might be interested the same sex.
    Bisexual - Interested in both sexes.

At least that's how i perceive it.

3. Shevanel

Bicurious =/= Bisexual in the slightest. Saying that Bicurious is the "correct" term basically says bisexuality isn't real and that we're "Confused" and that who a bisexual ends up with is what really determines their sexuality.

So of course not, that person is dead wrong. Heterosexual and Homosexual sound sexual too according to that person's way of thinking.

4. TheEdend

TheEdend Guest

Exactly what they said. Also, I kinda just gave up explaining or even saying that I'm bisexual at this point xD Its so ridc how people can't handle the concept.

And while we are on the topic, I got my first biphobia(?) comment today. It came from one of my e-board members. I was truly disappointed, but after confronting him about it and explaining he apologized for saying it the way he did.

5. Courtneyyy

That was pretty much my thought. But she "went through training" and "has like 8 gay friends" so she's in "with the community"
    ^^ her words, not mine.

6. Numfarh

Numfarh Guest

Ha. No. Definitely not. Bicurious is a term adopted by people when they trying to figure out their sexuality. I'd be incredibly offended if people tried to label me as bicurious.
    But then again, I don't identify as bisexual anymore. I hate the term and all the loaded baggage that comes with it. I hate having to justify my sexuality.

Now I just follow Gonzo's lead...
    [YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pwN5683FXIQ[/YOUTUBE]
    Skip to 6:49 for the bit.

7. Shevanel

I miss that movie ^

8. x2x2x2x2y2

I've always wondered why bicurious couldn't mean you like the same sex but are curious about the opposite sex. I mean it makes sense when you think about it. I think it should mean both.

9. musican

See, but it's assumed that everyone likes the opposite sex because that's what is "supposed to happen". You don't have to come out as straight, but you do if you're gay or bi for the same reason; it's assumed that you like the opposite sex.

Also, I hate when there's a "new" or "more acceptable" way to say something because people will find a way to be offended. It's ridiculous that we have to constantly change the words that we use simply because people are too sensitive. Don't get me wrong, there are words that I definitely find unacceptable to use when talking about a human being, but some people take it to ridiculous extremes.

#9 musican, Nov 3, 2010
    Last edited: Nov 3, 2010
  10. x2x2x2x2y2

So....what's you point?? I don't get how that has anything to do with what I posted.

11. Numfarh

Numfarh Guest

So where do we draw the line? Is it at the n-word? How about at dyke? Is my reluctance to identify as a bisexual hurting anyone? Should I be forced to associate with a term that often draws fear from both the gay and straight communities? What about the fact that most bisexuals are really pansexual (I'm speaking from personal experience with other bisexuals; I have no statistics to back up this claim) and we choose not to use the term out of convenience? Explaining pansexuality is heck of a lot harder than explaining bisexuality since you have to chuck gender variance into the mix as well. Just as a lesbian shouldn't have to call herself a dyke, bisexuals should be able to choose whatever feckin' label they want.

So I identify as a queer. Big blanket term and I'm okay with that. Why does it bother you so much that people want to choose an identity without negative stereotypes associated?

12. musican

I guess I didn't explain what I meant clearly so if we could disregard my post or even delete it, that'd be great.

13. GoinStag

In Loving Memory

This makes me laugh. I have black friends, that doesn't mean I know what it's like to be black lol.

14. Pseudojim

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    i usually refer to myself as bi or queer for simplicity's sake, but i couldn't give two shits what word people want to use

15. x2x2x2x2y2

Hell, I don't even know what it means to be mexican(and I AM mexican!!).

16. crystaltriforce

wow how did you NOT smack her?

17. GlindaRose

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Bisexual: Interested in both genders
    Bicurious: Interested in one gender, with a curiosity as to what it would be like with the other gender.

18. Mogget

I could use it in that sense. I definitely like and prefer guys, but I wouldn't mind experimenting with a woman. And there's a few I really wouldn't mind experimenting with *wanders off to drool over one of his classmates*

19. kroozz

i'm bisexual...but i prefer not to say it sometimes because ppl just assume i'm gay and i'm too scared to come out completely of the closet and i also hate that when i say i'm bisexual someone looks at me like i'm the most promiscuous person in the world...i love your interpretation of bicurious...

20. AlyssWonderland

I would not want to be called bicurious, it sounds too stereotypical. Like I'm just confused or its a phase. Bisexual sounds more serious, less stereotypical like that.