1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DEBATE: should america finally make english its official language?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by surfrboykai, Oct 4, 2007.

1. surfrboykai

first off, let's set up some rules: no personal attacks! i know this is like, a touchy subject, but remember to be respectful of the opinions of others. basically, no flaming of others, please. if you are flamed, don't gp back and forth. don't try to get the last word in. just stay on topic.

that being said, let the debate begin!

i think we should make english the official language. i realize that there is a huge influx of immigrants from non-english speaking countries, but i believe that they should have to learn english, even though it was never official, this is an english speaking country. i'm no anti-immigration, in fact, i fully support immigration. but please, learn our language.

my grandparents on my biological father's side are from two countries in which english is practically the farthest language you can get. my grandmother is from the phillipines, and my grandpa is from tonga. they moved to america (hawai'i) in the 50s, separately. they both set out to learn english practically immediately. they had no problem learning it in terms of the technical aspect (like, the retaining of the information. like how they say it's more difficult to learn a new language the older you are) and they had no problem learning it because they were proud to become americans.

PLEASE REMEMBER THE RULES OF THIS TOPIC!!!

2. ALieToDieFor

Texas City,TX but Huntington beach,california atm
    Converting every single person in the entire world to speaking english would cause more problems than it would solve.
    For everyone to know english there must be a large group of people who speak english and some other language(s).
    Even then, the cost of teaching them english would be great.
    Having english as a universal language would be great but considering there are over like I believe 1,300 or 13,000 different languages, I find it highly improbable, if not impossible.

3. NkyJ

I think we should respect the beliefs of the founding fathers and keep it the way it is. I see no problem at the moment that would require a law to be made stating that it is the official language. It is understood that when one comes to the United States that English will be the most common spoken language. Every state pretty much already has English as its official language (de facto). Even if English was the official language, it would not make immigrants any more likely to learn English.

4. Jim1454

I didn't know that you didn't have an 'official language'. Isn't every official government document / form produced in English?

In Canada, we have two 'official languages' - french and english. It was made official to protect and encourage the french language here.

5. NkyJ

The United States was created without an official language and ever since there has never been a law put into place stating that English is the official language, although there have been bills presented. English is used for legislation, regulations, and other official communication. Some states have adopted English as their official language.

6. 24601

I don't really see a reason to change how things are now, although I generally think immigrants should be expected to learn English for practicality's sake.

7. rorotherara

rorotherara Guest

:] I rather encourage people to learn other languages so that interaction between cultures can be consisent.

8. surfrboykai

it's one thing to learn another language for that reason, and another to have someone that can serve as a translator so that a business can conduct business. to me, there's no reason that i should have to call over someone to translate what i'm saying as well as what the customer is saying so i that i can interact with said customer.

9. Bryan

Does having to speak to people in Spanish in south Florida annoy me, yes. Is this unconstitutional, yes.

10. surfrboykai

if yer talkin about instating a "national language" then i full on disagree. i think it helps make things better for everyone living here. it's not just a matter of annoyance in having to translate in the work place. it's also a matter of saftey. what if someone who doesn't know english enters an area with a sign that says it's dangerous or whatever, but that person doesn't know what the sign says because it's in english?

that's a horrible example, but you get the idea, yah? it goes beyond being a hassle to people. there are safety issues that should be taken into consideration.

11. Psych!

Psych! Guest

I think that for immigrants to learn English is a good idea, but not of the grounds of forcing them to do it (which is what it sounds like what you believe must be done). Sure, it would be easier for most people to communicate here, but if they have to learn English to communicate with everyone here, for business's sake, why doesn't the American Corp. learn their language if they really have to make a deal? You'd be taking away from someone's culture if you enforce a language, other than their native language, upon them. Making English a national language might sound fair to people that have English as their first language, but people that have different native languages won't see it the same way.

12. NkyJ

Making English the official language (when it already is de facto) will not change the current problem with immigrant language issues. They would still do the same thing they're doing now.

13. Psych!

Psych! Guest

Exactly, they would still speak their own language.
    So, enforcing English by making it the official language for EVERYONE won't exactly work.

14. surfrboykai

i don't mean to sound like a bastard, but i think we should make it more difficult on people who don't speak english so that they will, in essence, be forced to learn it.

15. Psych!

Psych! Guest

Well I'm sorry, but it isn't fair.

How would you feel if someone forced you to learn Chinese?
    (Which is now evolving into a very popular language)

16. surfrboykai

if i was living in china, i'd be doing it without being forced to. why? because i moved to their country, in which chinese is the language

17. Jerr

Was going to say that...

lol

Well... It should be mainly because it just makes it soo easy for the illegal immigrants to be all hunky dory in our schools. If you don't know english we will make sure everything is catered to you!... Why? The kids get passed even if they fail what is required to pass the grade.

My mom is a teacher at a school that has a TON of Illegal Mexicans... how can you tell? Because they don't have a SS number... we can't deport them for that... a school can't get someone deported based on the information given to the school... anyways... When we tell them they have to have a SS number and they don't have one... we have to tell them to go to the Social Security Office... apply for one... then we tell them that once they are denied... and you will be because you aren't a citizen (doesn't faze them... they either don't understand most of it or they don't care... they don't bother lying to you. lol) you bring the paper saying you were denied then we can enroll your child into the school.

Momma has to go to a translation site and translate all notes that go home because the parents don't know English... Like get your shots and things like that. (One instance turned out bad because it roughly translated from "get your child's shots up to date" to "shoot your child" or something like that...

Use to (long time ago) one would need to learn a decent amount of English to survive... now... not so much. lol (Just ask the Mexicans at my moms school... they have it nice... Now not all of them are Illegal!... just most... the vast majority...)

18. Ty

Ty Guest

I thought it already was the offical language o.0.... thats weird, it should be....

19. Jerr

The United States has no Official Language... Although it REALLY should.

20. surfrboykai

and that's so fuckin jacked up. i'm all for people gettin an education, but if you wanna live in this country, a: do it the legal way, and b: learn the language. and yer absolutely correct in sayin that we cater to them. and we shouldn't.