1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

A question for anyone who lives in/has been to Australia.

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by MusicIsLife, Nov 13, 2010.

1. MusicIsLife

This is a question for my NaNoWriMo novel, hence why it sounds kind of insane.

I need my characters to start walking from the Sydney Airport to Queensland, in the deserty 200km between houses kind of area.

Can anyone give me a general idea how long that could take?

2. starfish

I've never been to Australia. However in town at a leisurely pace I average about 3-4km in a hour. I'll assume you have a good supply of water will spend 6 hours a day walking. So I would say it take about about 11 days or so.

3. SAGUY84

SAGUY84 Guest

Its roughly 500k's from Sydney to the QLD border in a straight line......

Guess its out of the question for your charicter to takre the bus? :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

4. Pseudojim

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    it's close to 700 kilometres between sydney and the tweed river just across the QLD border, as the crow flies... over 1,000 by road. That's along the coast though.

if you wanted desert to be involved your character at some point would have to cross to the west side of the great dividing range (mountain range, this is), which lies about 50ish k's west of sydney and runs up the length of the country... otherwise if he/she were sticking to the coast, there wouldn't be any desert at all, it would be nice and green.

[edit] i can tell you ALL about the airport too if you need, i worked there for quite some time.

#4 Pseudojim, Nov 13, 2010
    Last edited: Nov 13, 2010
  5. starfish

Oh I did my estimate based on 200km. If we are talking about 1000km we're talking on the order of 2 months.