1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New Look

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Seth, Jan 24, 2006.

1. Seth

Board Member Full Member

Hello Everyone!

I had our designer work today on making a new skin. I told him that we needed something more lively and fun. I thought the old diggs looke too drab.

What does everyone think so far? Do you have suggestions you would like to see?

I know we need to get the resources page back in the navigation, but I thought we would iron out the look first that way we can make that match.

The designer is going to work on the icons tomorrow. The ones on here now are carried over from the old design. Let me know your thoughts!

Thanks,
    Seth

2. hawkeye

I guess i had posted my comment in the wrong place before, but anyways, i like the new colors. It looks more up-beat.

3. Micah

Hey Seth,

Thanks for the new design! I love the whole blue design, but judging from a few responses, I think the blue side colour (behind the username/avatar as well as behind the log-in panel) may be a little bright.

As for the width, there have been different opinions. Some like the skinnier version, others prefer the older one. Maybe come to a compromise and add .5-.75 inches to each side (ok, obviously not going to be the same for all resolutions- but you get the idea).

Other than those minor things the changes are awesome.

Dave

4. Seth

Board Member Full Member

Is this better? Is it too dark now?

5. Seth

Board Member Full Member

I added some more interesting post icons. When we do new posts you can pick an icon that is topical so that on this page: http://www.emptyclosets.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2, for example, you can get an idea for what a thread is about. I did a few for some of the older topics just to show everyone how it works :slight_smile:

I hope you like. I think they are fun and can actually be useful if people use them when starting threads.

6. goratrix

Ok, I have a 1280x1024 resolution, so I have like two 2.5 inches blank spaces at the sides of the page. I love the fact that it's centered and not aligned to the left.

Perhaps that space can be covered with something... perhaps some menu? news? I don't know...

I lave the color scheme though... :slight_smile:

7. nisomer

i like it :slight_smile: except i think its a little too skinny...maybe go with goratrix's idea of covering the space with something....just too much open space i think.

8. Paul_UK

Paul_UK Guest

I like the current blue better than the one yesterday. With the new brighter header and light background it does look a lot fresher. The bright light outside the closet rather than the gloom inside....!!

I'm pleased to see the Resorces link is back too. I guess the resources page will be revamped to the same style as the forum in due course.

My laptop screen is 1400 by 1050 and that does leave rather a lot of space at the sides (nearly half the screen space is wasted). At 1024 by 768 it fits fairly well. I wonder if it can be scaled to say 80% of full width rather than a fixed number of pixels?

I see the point about reading wide lines of text though, and sometimes have to highlight as I go with the mouse, so I can see that point. I'm pleased we are using the vBulledin "traditional" layout with the poster details to the left rather than the current style with them above each post.

9. joeyconnick

joeyconnick Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hi there,

I really don't like the new thread icons... for one, they're big and rectangular. For another, they just look... clunky.

10. joeyconnick

joeyconnick Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I think yesterday's skin had a slightly bigger default font, which was nice.

11. Paul_UK

Paul_UK Guest

Agreed. Sorry.

12. Paul_UK

Paul_UK Guest

Yes, I noticed that too. It is still Verdana, but I think it needs to be one or two points bigger.

13. Seth

Board Member Full Member

Hello,

I have increased the font size and removed the post icons.

I was a little suprised that you all didn't like the icons. I though they were pretty fun and colorful and would liven up this site for the target audience. It just seems all so grown-up in here to me, lol. I was trying to come up with some ways to liven it up and get new folks to find it fun and want to post. Sorry for misreading it so badly.

We can take the width back to full screen. Over half of the web is still on resolutions of 800x600 or lower. This forum is the exact same width as Yahoo, MSN, AOL, Paypal and the other big guys. I, personally, think the benefit of reading vertically outweighs the downside. But... you guys let me know. You wish is my command.

14. joeyconnick

joeyconnick Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Well I think the smileys are pretty cute/fun/non "grown up." My dislike of the thread icons has to do with them being (or having been) relatively wide, present on every single thread, and simply graphical representations of words. They reminded me very much of how the web looked in the late 90s. And that, as Martha Stewart might say about her time in the slammer, is not a good thing. :lol:

I DEFINITELY like the narrower way things are now.

Are you serious about more than half the web being 800x600 or lower? Still?! I find that really surprising. I could see it being a still-significant proportion but wouldn't have thought it was more than 50%.

Thanks for listening to our feedback!

15. Seth

Board Member Full Member

Actually, the website I was using was a bit dated. I think this source is a bit more authentic and timely. It shows 20% with a possible 26% if you assume the others are lower than 800x600.

http://www.w3schools.com/browsers/browsers_stats.asp

Anyway its curious information and its good for passing the time. he he

16. Paul_UK

Paul_UK Guest

The font looks right again now, thanks Seth. I think it's only one point size, but it makes all the difference.

I normally design websites for 1024 x 768 maximised now, and accept that anyone using 800 x 600 will have to live with horizontal scroll bars. Just for interest, I've started a poll here http://emptyclosets.com/forum/showthread.php?t=408 asking what resolutions we all use. :icon_razz

17. Paul_UK

Paul_UK Guest

Absolutely - smilies can be great fun! (!)

18. Micah

:eusa_danc

That is all.

19. hawkeye

Just a little feedback: I like how the homepage was removed and linked to the forum. It was a bit pointless before.

20. joeyconnick

joeyconnick Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Yeah, splash pages are SO 1997. :biggrin: