1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Family waits to see if mother, accused of blasphemy, will be hanged

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Shevanel, Nov 18, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Shevanel

News story link.
    I bolded the section that explains WHY she's received the death sentence.

So human rights peeps, whatdya think?

I can't wait till someone gets the balls to tell these countries that they won't let them do stuff like this.

2. partietraumatic

It's a sad indictment of the state of affairs in many countries of the world that nothing about this article surprised me.

3. Lady Gaga

Lady Gaga Guest

I love how no one in Pakistan sees that hypocrisy.

Or should I say..no one in power.

4. Connor22

Hypocrisy? in the government? NEVER!

5. booby

im not sure .. i really dislike blasphemy of any kind and for that foul-mouthed lady to insult the Prophet (peace be upon him) i think it's incredibly rude of her

killing her would only give people the wrong idea about Islam :frowning2:

now i havent studied law but she deserves to to be punished .. maybe community service or an apology (im getting very mad every time i remember what she said , i dont blame the villagers for their reaction)

6. Charme

Charme Guest

I thought she'd have been stoned by now.

7. lostinthought9

I recognize that there is a difference in cultures here, but I just can't understand how insulting someone's beliefs (or belief system) should result in a death sentence.

If this woman would have came up to me, insulting God, and saying every cuss word in the book, I would still not believe that is fair grounds for her to be hung.

This may sound like a stupid question but, is there anything that an international organization can do? I mean, am I the only one here that thinks this isn't right?

8. Shevanel

Of course you aren't, Ron. The problem is no international organization is going to go into a country that is entirely run off of a religion's rules, to go against said rules, and get away with it without repercussions. They'd need something like the UN to back them. But if the UN won't do shit about genocides happening in front of their fucking noses, then why would they do something about one woman?

It's fucking sad. Shit needs to be changed.

9. ANightDude

Contaminated by a non-muslim... what would happen? They'll turn into a white person? Just because she had a difference in opinion doesn't mean she deserves any kind of punishment.

10. Shevanel

No such thing as free speech :slight_smile:

11. RedState

They will only offer lip service...the UN is worthless and are ball-less cowards to boot. It would be too politically incorrect to dare say anything negative about Sharia Law.

I'm sorry but this has to be said: These radical Islamist kooks that want to hang women for crap like this or want to blow up a cartoonist's house for drawing a picture of Muhammed are savages and are an insult to the human race. The fact that the entire world is outraged that the US would dare submit some scum radical Muslim terrorist to...gasp...waterboarding and yet remain silent on half the shit this crowd pulls is simply beyond me.
    Yes, I know that it is not a reflection on the entire 1.1 Billion Muslims out there, blah blah. But this is getting to be a very bad trend. it is estimated that close to 10% are radicalized...that means there are approx 100 million nut jobs out there that want us to conform to their warped nutsy view of the world...or kill us. Gee, nice bunch of folks....remind me to invite them over for my next cookout.

#11 RedState, Nov 20, 2010
    Last edited: Nov 20, 2010
  12. Frer3

Screw Sharia Law. Screw the UN. This is the reason the US has separated Church from State. So nothing stupid would happen just because some idiot had an iffy moment.

13. Trystan

She was actually insulted. In return, she insulted what they believe.
    I'm not saying either direction of insult was right, but surely insulting a FELLOW HUMAN is far worse than insulting what someone believes. (And don't get the idea that I'm saying beliefs are worthless; I myself am christian.)

She should never, never, be punished for this - what she said was essentially wrong, but think about this: the muslims can brush off what she said without a second thought. But what do you think is now going through her mind? She probably now feels rejected, angry and hurt, possibly by people she was friends, or at least friendly, with.

And let's be honest, she only said what she believes as well. She's a christian. She would say that muhammad wasn't a prophet.

14. peaceandlies

If there were ever a time for the UN to interfere, this and case like this one should it. If peaceful means don't work, then they should send in an army. And I'm not just talking about one person.

The family of some friends of mine live in Pakistan. They're christians. This could be them. I care.

15. RaRa

The US has separation of church and state what?!?!

16. Pseudojim

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    in god we trust ... one nation under god ... etc

the separation seemed to start coming to an end about 60 years ago. Before that even, i suppose... There are bible verses etched in stone all over the federal buildings and monuments in Washington, D.C

but yes, regarding the issue at hand, this is to be expected in poor, nigh-on totalitarian nations.

17. Lady Gaga

Lady Gaga Guest

Every country should be modeled after France's policy on seperation of church and state.

Every French foreign exchange student and student teacher (we have at least one or another every year) is absolutely surprised that we say the pledge in school. At least, the "Under God" part.

18. Pseudojim

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    not just french people either, it AMAZED me when i found out

19. RedState

What's wrong with saying the pledge in the classroom?
    I see nothing wrong with it or saying "Under God"
    Every day both The House and The Senate open with a prayer by each Chamber's respective Chaplin.

20. Numfarh

Numfarh Guest

Er... Really? Is that because you happen to be Christian?
    Would you feel as conformable if they mandated the five prayers a day as in Islam for the House and the Senate? Or what about if they required E-meter readings for all the elected officials? Or how about that each piece of legislation passed must be followed by a reading from a Hindu holy book?
    The problem with a state supported religion is that it can quickly become a state enforced religion. Like in these Islamic nations where we hear about these nonsensical blasphemy laws.

The USA is not a nation under god, no matter what god you happen to believe in. Not only is it forbidden in the constitution, but you know... that would require a god to actually exist. But I suppose that is another argument entirely. :lol:

The laws to separate the church and state are meant to protect the government and the church from interfering with each other. The government is kept safe from silly superstitions and the church is protected from state sanctioned persecution.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.