1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Positive..homophobia?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Lady Gaga, Nov 20, 2010.

1. Lady Gaga

Lady Gaga Guest

I don't really know what it's called. I'll explain it through racism.

Positive 'racism' would be someone saying all asians are good at math. It's racism, but that's not an insult. It's a complement. But equally insulting regardless.

Positive homo'phobia' would be someone saying, "Oh my god, you're gay! I like you so much better now!" or "Oh, you're gay! You must be really good with fashion!"

What are you views on positive homo'phobia', how does it make you feel?

And can someone come up with a better name please? lol

2. Moonstrike

Moonstrike Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    This has never happened to me so I am a bit careful to say that I would definately react negatively to such a thing. But, going by the two examples you gave, I am against it in principle and would probably be embarassed if someone said the first one to me. If someone said the second one to me I would be much more offended and I would also be sad that the person who I was with didnt know me at all.

I would, however, have a non-negative reaction to someone saying "Oh yay you're gay now we can talk about how good looking guys are!".

3. Lady Gaga

Lady Gaga Guest

Yeah, I don't care about that either. It's not really singling out stereotypes.

When I came out to my friend Alexis, her reaction was, "Oh, yay! Now I have another gay bestfriend! I like you so much more now! Now we can go shopping, talk about guys, do make up, and all that other stuff!"

Hearing that was just as insulting to me as it was to hear another friend go "Ew, you're gay?" when I told them.

Also, keep in mind, I knew her for about a week before I told her I was gay. The minute I told her she made me her bestfriend. (Also, I normally don't tell people that early. She had a crush on me so that's why I told her.)

Singling people out just because of who they are even if in a 'positive' way is just as insulting to me.

4. kem

kem

I think you don't understand the terms you use fully.
    "all asians are good at math" isn't a racist statement. It is prejudice = an opinion (or opinions) formed on false presumptions. Racism is a form of prejudice, and it's definition could be simplified to discrimination of a person based racial, ethnic, cultural or other such characteristics and refusal to accept one's biases as false".

Similarly, what you've used as examples can't be considered homophobia, but I would say they are positive biases or positive prejudice... Homophobic comments would be such "I'm not comfortable around gays because I fear they'll hit on me or sexually abuse me" or "Don't go near that queer or he'll harass you"
    Like the word homophobia suggests, the term is used to describe fear of homosexuality and homosexuals.

5. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Stereotypes generally come about for a reason, and every one of us, at some point, hold them and act based on them. Many are completely unconscious. As humans we have a natural tendency to categorize and organize information, and the stereotypes we create about humans are simply another way of categorizing and organizing that information. As long as we don't adhere to the stereotypes but instead recognize them as such, there is no problem that I can see.

If you watch Carlos Mencia's old shows on Comedy Central, he embraced and exaggerated these stereotypes and did so with humor and understanding, under the theory that if we can all understand the quirks and idiosyncracies of each other, and laugh at ourselves, the world would be a better place.

6. booby

isnt ''all Asians are good at math'' a generalization :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: ?

7. Moonstrike

Moonstrike Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Racist statements do not have to be negative or untrue by definition. Making a statement based solely on someones race is racist.

Yes. But we all know thats not what it actually means.

8. kem

kem

You're right. I can't edit my post, but I think prejudice isn't the right word, stereotype is. I shouldn't post at this hour.

9. Rikudo

I hate this one soooo much. I don't think there really is such a thing as a good phobia. It's still a judgment on a person based on a single factor.

10. Connor22

Yeah the fashion thing, I HAVE NO IDEA ABOUT FASHION I JUST GRAB THINGS IN THE WARDROBE!

11. Lexington

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    >>>"Oh, you're gay! You must be really good with fashion!"

Nobody with functioning eyes would ever say this to me. :slight_smile:

Lex

12. yeahyeah

yeahyeah Guest

I dont think is positive homophobia. Is like prejudices and marked stereotypes.

13. Allecto

I came across a blog by some guy who seemed to think that lesbians are all super radical feminists who are more ~*enlightened*~ than other people. I found it funny considering I don't really know any lesbians who fit that particular stereotype. The closest I've ever come to fitting that stereotype is complaining about Thanksgiving and Columbus Day and joining my college's Diversity Club and LGBTQ club. -_-

14. Holmes

Well, whatever about the terminology, and it'd be stereotype or generalization, not homophobia, it's not something I've got, probably because I'd never come across as someone who's into fashion. Don't mind the odd musical, but I'd never come off as a musical geek either. I'd imagine in most cases, when thinking of a particular gay person, someone wouldn't really hold with that type of generalization, unless they thought there were some sort of basis in the particular.

But speaking of clothes, I really need to get a new jumper, I've been wearing the same one for months.

15. malachite

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I think stereotyping pretty much covers it

16. Nomad187

reverse homophobia

17. Mr.Pushover

Well, technically I have a pretty amazing fashion sense ;D
    Most of the time at least.

18. TheEdend

TheEdend Guest

Mah, I can't really decide whether it bothers me or not.

Comments like that have bothered me in the past, but sometimes I just find them hilarious.

One example would be Kathy Griffin talking about "the gays" which could be totally offensive, but I find it funny for some reason.

In the other hand a girl came up to me and told me that she wanted to go to a GSA meeting because she needs some hair advice. That one really pissed me off xD haha

19. fragomatrick

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I think it;s all about being politically correct.
    Say what you want to, with all it's pun, without getting your ass kicked.

For example, saying that you are good at fashion or a fairy is the same thing! (for me...!)
    So, yeah... it doesn't make me feel masculine enough..!I do more reps at gym with every POSITIVE HOMOPHOBIC comment that I encounter!

20. Smile

I would probably react badly to it because I hate letting people down. If they expect me to have amazing fashion sense because I am gay when I don't think I do then I am not meeting their expectations, which I hate not meeting.

But also slightly offended because of the stereotype but the majority would be the expectations thing.