1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Speaking of colleges...

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Kimi, Oct 6, 2007.

1. Kimi

Do you guys think it is important to get in a nice/famous college??

My dad is asking me(When I say he is asking me it means he is forcing me) to go better/famous college. And I still don't really get why he is so assing about it.

I mean, I know what he mean, like if I graduate from nicer college I can get a better job and make more money. But if you don't graduate from nice college, does that mean you won't gonna get a better job nor make more money??

He sounds like if you don't get a better job and make more money you won't be happy...

2. davo-man

Personally I dont think the college you go to makees that much difference, cos assumably theyre all going be teaching the same course...Of course if you go to Harvard or Yale or something, then I guess there is a certain amount of respect or something that goes along with that cos its so hard to get in.

I think it must be a bit different here in Australia, cos ive basically been taught to go to whichever university/college has the course you wanna do, not looking firstly at the actual college. For instance, if only an interstate college does vetinary science, then you would move there to do it, not cos the college is any better, but just cos thats where the course it...anyway i go off topic easily

I don't think it really makes much difference which college you go to, as long as you do the course that is best for you

3. Jim1454

Parents want the best for their kids, and if you're smart enough to get good grades and get accepted to a 'better' university, then they will naturally 'encourage' you to do that. A 'better' school (which is to some degree is a matter of opinion) will open more doors in terms of job opportunities, so that's not a bad thing.

How they 'encourage' you though can be problematic I guess. I never had any pressure from my parents, so the decision was mine. I didn't go to an Ivy League kind of school, but I think I've done just fine career wise. The diploma only gets you in the door. You have to prove yourself once you start working.

4. Jerr

It does make a difference. The name helps get jobs. Sad but true. Maybe take the basics at a local cheep college... then transfer to a more "recognized" school. Unless of course you get a scholarship and you don't think you could get a better one later.

5. Bryan

The simple answer is no.
    Will it help you get a slightly better job down the road yes. But, you will be spending four years there. It is a very big choice, and it is also your choice, you need to find a school that fits your personality. Also, you learn the same thing at every undergrad school anyway (be it CUNY of harvard). Just pick a place that fits you.

6. joeyconnick

joeyconnick Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I think that other than some of the very well-known brand name schools (i.e. the Ivy League ones and Stanford, MIT, etc.), it really doesn't matter where you go, especially in terms of your undergrad degree. I think which school you go to (and often which person you work with) if you do graduate work makes a lot more difference than in your undergraduate "career."

If you are really into the whole school thing, I would focus much more on finding a program you like and that is good for you, as davo-man indicated. If you're at a brand-name school but you don't like it, chances are you will do a lot more poorly than if you're at a school that is less known but you love the program and the people in it.

If you have the opportunity, I would recommend making trips to schools you are interested in attending. I know that's not always possible but you really can't get a proper feel for a program or school unless you've had some personal contact with it.

Reputation and name-recognition do definitely count but they're not essential so more than anything you kinda have to figure out for yourself how much you buy into it. I got accepted to a few well-known schools but ended up going to effectively the "state" university here for financial reasons (granted it's one of the top 5 Canadian universities) and I've managed to do okay.

I would have to say I completely disagree with your dad about needing to have the best job and make the most money to be happy. Yes, money is definitely a component of enjoying your life but I have had one or two jobs that have paid (for me, at least) lots of money and I've left them all because ultimately, even with the good money, they did not make me happy. Unless you are truly superficial, money will not buy you happiness, especially if you end up doing a well-paying job that you aren't passionate about.