1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Algebra 2 Help

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by PeaceLoveJoy, Nov 28, 2010.

1. PeaceLoveJoy

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Random place to ask this....but I need help with an Algebra 2 question, if someone can help that'd be great....I have to find the real number solutions of this equation
    x^3-5x^2+8x-4=0

2. alan t

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    The roots are small integers. Just guess and you'll find them

3. Bryan90

The answer depends if you're in University or high school.... For high school, you can just guess as alan_t mentioned.

In university, it depends if they want you to just find the roots using a graphic calculator or actually solve it using like Cardano's method or Legrange's method. Wikipedia will shed some light...

4. theJosephDean

The only thing I see to do is factor out an (x - 1), which you can do by either long dividing into it or synthetically divide. Either way, you're gonna get (x - 2)^2.

So it turns into [(x-2)^2][x-1] = 0

So x = 1, x = 2.

Reallyyy small integers :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

---

Edit: After posting, I realise that exactly what I said might sound confusing depending on what you've actually been taught in class. xD I'm too tired to think of the explanation; I only see the answer. Yay for being a math major x_x

5. Bryan90

That's kind of cheating isn't it? It's like figuring out the roots and then just factoring it out of the cubic equation :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: But I guess again, it depends what level he is at. But looking at the equation and at the roots, I suppose it was not meant to be difficult...