1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Libraries and book stores

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Notreallysure, Nov 29, 2010.

1. Notreallysure

Today I went to 2 different book stores and looked at the gay section for books about coming out. I was looking for different men's perspectives and challenges and what not. When I found the section (at both stores), it seemed like both were in a wide open area! Not in some nook or cranny, but in front of a reading area with chairs or beside the cafes. At the first store, it was a little less obvious, so I picked up a book and walked a little ways away to look at it. The name was "The Best Little Boy in the World Grows Up," and I'm actually planning to buy it online. I identified with the guy.
    Anyway, it just was a little funny to me. Maybe I felt more conspicuous than I actually was, but it seemed like I was standing in the middle of the store looking at "gay" books. I had to laugh and couldn't wait to post this on here. It led me to a question, also. At libraries or book stores, do you find the "alternative" section (as it was called in one of the stores) more open or is it more discreet. I'm curious to know if I am the only one here.

2. alan t

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Yes I have noticed that. I think the book stores just don't realize this is an issue when they're planning the layout so it just gets put somewhere by chance

3. George1

George1 Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    The best thing you can do is just act normal. If you get squeamish looking at that section people will think you're looking at something considered taboo and then they'll start looking at you funny. Most of the time the LGBT sections in book stores aren't really noticeable. For example, the only way you can tell the Queer magazine section at Borders (at least in Australia) is what it is is because there's always a copy of DNA sitting on the shelf with some half-naked guy. Apart from that it just looks like books/magazines.

4. Ander Blue

Copenhagen, Denmark (normally Troy, New York)
    At the Barnes and Nobles I know, the section is titled Gay And Lesbian with a big sign but they have always been a bit out of the way.

5. Holmes

A while back they would only have been found in a nook or cranny. These days, LGBT issues are considered relatively mainstream, so most bookshop owners wouldn't think twice about having them in an open area.

6. Allecto

I don't really care if someone sees me in the LGBTQ section. I'm comfortable enough with my sexuality that it's not much of an issue.