1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Work Rant

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by JB1986, Dec 7, 2010.

1. JB1986

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I have a rant about this douche I had to deal with at my job today. Now, dealing with difficult customers is nothing new for me, but this just pissed me off.

Anyway, a brief little history. We have to wear Santa Claus hats, since it's the Holiday Season. They're itchy, but whatever. Normally, I would wear a boring red one. This year, I decided to wear a purple sequined one. Why? It's just meant to be funny, and I've gotten numerous compliments (real, genuine compliments) and some laughs out of it. The way I dress is pretty dull, this just adds a*little*pizazz, and it makes people and myself smile. I'm out at my job, and it's great. Enough history, onto the story. So, I'm at my photo department putting away some electronic items, when this guy came up to me, and had a question about*film*developing. And I was nice to him, and everything. This is how our fun little conversation went:

Him: How much is One Hour?

Me: For a roll of film? (I know, dumb question. But I do have to ask these dumb questions.)

Him: No, for a disposable camera!

Me: For a disposable camera, 27 exposures will be $X.XX for single prints, or $XX.XX for double prints. (Disposable cameras ARE a roll of*film, but that's really not important to the story.)

Him (Now in that nasty tone that customers tend to have when they think you're charging them too much, or something.): Why are they so expensive?!

Me: Sorry, corporate sets the prices.

Then he just looked at me, and the fun began.

Him: Why are you wearing a girl's hat?! (In the same nasty tone, just sprinkle in some extra Homophobic nastiness.)

Me: It's just for fun, so why not? (Said jokingly, but now I'm a little afraid of where this may be heading.)

Him: It makes you look gay!

Me: Well sir, I really don't have a problem with that. (I'm getting kind of irritated now. I'm also just thinking that this had better not be heading where I'm sure it is heading.)

Him: Well, you must be GAY, then!!

Then he glared at me with the biggest look of disgust on his face. And now, I'm officially PISSED. Not that he called me gay, which I am, so I don't give a shit about that. It's his tone of voice, and the look of disgust on his face that I find insulting. I decide that I don't need this, so I'm going to at least stand-up for myself.

Me: Actually sir, I am gay. So what?

He just glared at me, and stormed out. I may be making a little bit of a big*deal out*of this but, WHAT. THE. FUCK.?! Seriously, what did I do to deserve being insulted? I realize maybe the purple hat lends itself to that somewhat, but I'm allowed to wear it, and it's just meant to be a little funny and fun. What's wrong with that?! And his tone was not of the "oh you're gay, awesome," or "I really don't care that you're gay,I'm just making a little fun of your hat," variety, it was the "I'm insecure with my masculinity, and gays are disgusting, etc" tone. And my sexual orientation has nothing to do with our prices, or my ability to do my job, so why insult me like that? Sorry for the long post, I had to get that off my chest. Do you all think I handled that okay? Thanks for letting me rant and bitch. :angry:

2. yourillusion

It sounds like you remained respectful of him (in your responses) while he was disrespecting you. That's not easy to do. I think you handled it well!

3. TheRoof

that guy was a douche. forget about him and move on with your life with your cute hat :slight_smile:

4. Lady Gaga

Lady Gaga Guest

Oh god. Just another story of retarded customers.

This is why I want to avoid people as much as possible if I get the job I am applying for. BRING ON STOCK BOY!

5. Z3ni

Z3ni Guest

Omg you should bitch slapped him!

Mines even stupid.. I'll make it short, this guy wanted gravy on his food.. So I told him:

Me : Sorry we have no gravy left

Him : No gravvy!?
    *phones his friend*

Him : No gravy! in your chippy! (meaning he always comes here)

So I give him his money back...

Him : 20p short..!

Me : No, it cost less with the deal

Then he raised his voice, then I raised my voice, and bla bla bla.

Him : I'm going to sue you bla bla bla

Me : *big smile* here you go thanks bye

I know its ony 20p but he pissed me off, plus it was quite fun arguing lol

6. Filip

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I think you handled it perfectly, really. You stayed calm, and refused to let him get away with pushing you to the defensive.

Unfortunately guys like that exist. They're usually just out to make you feel bad so they can feel better about themselves.

Just forget about this guy and whatever problems he might have and focus on the appreciative comments instead!

7. GoinStag

In Loving Memory

You stayed calm, and he showed he was pissed off. Good job.

Believe me, I understand. Detroit is a DOUCHE in itself lol. Typical Wayne County asshole. You handled it better than I would have lol.

8. JB1986

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    /\
    Tell me about it. I've had my head ripped off because I forgot to give someone their change. Which was a whole penny. A penny!

Thanks for the awesome compliments, everybody! I really do appreciate them. :icon_bigg Just really bugged me is all, especially since it was out of the blue and unexpected. I had a much better day today. That douche isn't worth it, I just needed to vent. Thanks again for listening. :icon_bigg

9. Echidna1

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I painted my nails once for Halloween, they were black. The day after on campus I was talking with a friend of mine and one of his friends asked me, were you a faggot for halloween (he didn't know I was gay)? I told him, to use his word, I actually was a faggot; I don't pretend to be hated upon.

I didn't hurt him physically like I wanted to, but I sort of feel as though I hurt him when I "surprised" him as to who I am.

People think being gay is a joke; I hate it. But sticks and stones... blah blah blah.

10. xequar

I know it's a bit further on now, but I think you did great! The thing that people like that can't stand is when someone actually stands up to them, which you did with aplomb!

11. mnguy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Yep, you did great and that guy was a jerk. I talk to customers in my job, but on the phone instead of in person. It would be harder in person dealing with a jerk so kudos to you.

12. Frer3

We should turn this into a work rant thread, where everybody who has to rant about work can do so.

13. wherewulfe

I'm pretty sure we're not supposed to link off site but whenever someone says something homophobic to me i always make this face http://myfacewhen.com/71/ and say "Problem, sir?"

14. stad90

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Oh geez, the stories I could tell :rolle:

I've had a lot of guests who end unhappy arguments with myself (or others) by saying something along the lines of "Well I guess I should've expected this s****y service, seeing this place is run by f*****s."

Apparently, if you're gay, you can't properly sell ice cream or balloons. Who knew?

15. IsItSo

Out Status:
    A few people
    I laughed at how insane and plain stupid this guy is.

16. JB1986

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Sounds good to me. I think I could write a novel given the sheer amount of assholes I've had to deal with over the years. :rolleyes:

17. SlickyPants

Even though this happened a week ago I must say that you handled it very well and from the sounds of things it seemed like he was really fuming when he stormed out.

Sometimes customers are pricks sometimes but by acting courteous even when they're being a dick then you've elevated yourself beyond him in terms of respect. Plus it sounds like you got the last word in too which probably angered him even more. Good job. :slight_smile: