1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Does anyone speak Norwegian?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by MusicIsLife, Dec 12, 2010.

1. MusicIsLife

Soooo I'm writing a book, and some of the characters have norwegian names. However, I don't know how to pronounce them(and yes, it has to be norwegian). I was wondering if anyone who knows how to speak it could tell me how to pronounce the words so I don't sound like a moron when I'm explaining the book to someone else. Thanks in advance :slight_smile:

Herredømme, Vellyst, Ødeleggelse, Grusomhet, Sol and Geirangerfjorden

2. Lady Gaga

Lady Gaga Guest

The member Scandinavian is from Norway.

So I say just PM them. :3

3. Stuie

One day, I decided randomly to learn Norwegian, right before my English exam in fact. What relevance this has for you is, there are quite a few websites that are out there that can tell you the phonics for Norwegian. A quick google search for something like "learning Norwegian" should help you and you'll find something that should help you pronounce it by giving you sounds that are similar in English.
    Hope that helps. :slight_smile:

4. Daniel

Herredømme - Herre-like the Greek goddess, Hera. dømme- douh mm-eh.

Vellyst - "Vell" rhymes with "Well", "y" making a light "ya" sound, folowed by a "ss-t"

Ødeleggelse - "Ou" followed by a soft "ll" sound, then "ell", then "egg"-"elle"-"sah"

Grusomhet - "Gr-uh-some-et"

Sol - rhymes with English "soul"

And lastly (sweet lordy)

Geirangerfjorden - "gah-ear-an-gur-fa-your-den"

And Norwegian is bouncy. Speak English, shove a potato in your mouth, get drunk, and sing. You then have Norwegian.

---------- Post added 13th Dec 2010 at 02:42 AM ----------

I can't lie, this one is really fun to say out loud. Give it a nice bounce and you can't stop smiling while saying it. And I used to giggle at the Limpfjord's name!

5. MusicIsLife

:grin: thank you soooooooo much!

6. mischa91

[/COLOR]
    I can't lie, this one is really fun to say out loud. Give it a nice bounce and you can't stop smiling while saying it. And I used to giggle at the Limpfjord's name![/QUOTE]

I'm sitting at work sounding this out and i agree, it's making me smile just saying it!

7. Daniel

Det var sa lidt!