1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Transgender terms

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Ridiculous, Dec 12, 2010.

1. Ridiculous

I've been wondering what the difference between these terms is (I think I have a rough idea, sort of):

-transgender
    -transexual
    -transvestite
    -intersex

I don't want to use the wrong term, considering that I'm not particularly pleased when someone mislabels me. So if anyone can tell me, that'd be great.

2. British Lad

British Lad Guest

-transgender = is somebody who feels like there male when there female or the other way around.
    -transexual = kind of the same thing as above.
    -transvestite = Male who mostly dresses female or female who mostly dresses male.
    -intersex = Born both male and female.

3. MusicIsLife

wrong. A transsexual is someone who actually transitions. Transgender is how you feel, prior to the physical transition and/or for those trans folk who choose not to trasition.

4. Stuie

Intersex is when you have both male and female sexual characteristics. Normally only one set of these genitalia will be functioning to some extent. More people would probably be familiar with hermaphrodite as a synonym for intersex, but hermaphodite is a little too medical and loaded with negative connotations.

5. Ridiculous

Cool thanks. I was pretty certain on the last two but the first two I wasn't.

6. Cnidocyte

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Transgender- An umbrella terms for anyone who does not fit the usual gender binary. Those included are but not limited to: transsexuals, cross dressers, gender queers, androgynes, intersex, agender and many more.

Transexual- A person who's gender identity does not match their birth sex. This includes those who feel they have no gender or something between the binary of male and female. Many seek hormonal treatments to match their gender identity as well as surgery to change their looks to match their gender.

7. Darkwing65

What you described here is more along the lines of Genderqueer. Moreover, people who identify as genderqueer may think of themselves as being both man and woman, as being neither man nor woman, or as falling completely outside the gender spectrum.