1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Living in an icebox

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by mnguy, Dec 13, 2010.

1. mnguy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I was just outside and thinking about how living in MN at this time of year is like living in an icebox. It's not actually winter yet, but it's 0 deg. F outside right now and is forcast to be -15 F when I leave for work tomorrow morning. That's colder than the typical home freezer. Standing outside, I'm surrounded by snow, much like you're in a giant freezer that hasn't been defrosted in a long time. I'm sure the members in cold climates can relate.

On the other hand, I couldn't stand the extended heat of summer in TX, for example, so I'll try to appreciate the variety of the vast change of seasons we get to experience. :slight_smile:

Merry Christmas!

2. ok455

I'll take heat anytime i loved the hot humid weather we had last summer everything is so much better Its so nice walking outside w/o a coat and jacket. I am miserable and lazy in the winter time

3. Dare2bProud

Haha, I can't wait to fly back to Minnesota in January! Much colder in the Northern Country then the Hoosier Country, that's for sure! :slight_smile:

4. RaRa

I like the cold...not necessarily freezing but overcast and in the 60s. :grin:

Yes in California cold would be in the 60s. ^^

5. Courtneyyy

Lived in phoenix for the first 20 years of my life, now i go to school in the most ADD climate ever. last year at this there were blizzards that canceled finals, and today it was sunny and 66 f/19 c.

i MUCH prefer hot weather. i can see a forecast of 115 F and not freak out, anything under 50F and i pretty much refuse to go outside.

6. Miss Modular

That's the best kind of weather! It's exciting!

7. Daniel

Cold I can handle, but snow in Buffalo is ridiculous. Not the quantity, but the type. Wicked wet.

8. Shevanel

Exactly v_v

9. Stuie

Melbourne weather is always exciting! The weather here is entirely unpredictable a lot of the time. Quite literally I carry around an umbrella and a thick jumper, while wearing a t-shirt and shorts.

10. Revan

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It's not horrible. I'm in southwestern Ontario and we're getting like blah weather. I mean just last week we got 100cm dumped on us of snow. University was canceled for three days, it was insane.

11. Nomad187

You are all wusses. Suck it up its just the cold :wink:
    A few weeks ago my town was the secibd coldest place on the planet. It was -46 degrees celsius

(Btw I am just teasing about the wuss part)

12. Nomad187

I love the cold btw =]

13. mischa91

I hate the cold; i have reynauds so this time of year i spend a lot of time in pain. Plus i can't ride my horse much when it's this cold outside, he loves the cold though so i guess someone's happy.

I will move to a warmer part of the world when the opportunity comes along.

14. maverick

I live where it's 103 degrees in the summer, and we live without air conditioning. Cold weather is hellacious to me, I can't stand it...Snow is pretty and all, but I could live the rest of my life without seeing it again.

15. Courtneyyy

no air conditioning? i had never heard of buildings with air conditioning till last year when i came to college, none of the dorms on campus have AC. it's such a foreign concept for me.

16. Harve

The first negativeF temperature i ever experienced was this November, it then went on to happen another 5 times, the lowest being -20.5C/-5F in the valleys (a balmy -17C when i was down there though... at 11am), the coldest morning here EVER.

It hasn't reached 25C/75F here for about 4 years, our summers are quite cool ^_^

17. TheRoof

I too live in the cold area. I wish I could move to california or something.

18. mnguy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Yea, the wet snow is the worst. It's like concrete at the end of the driveway when the plow dumps it there. Our snow totals don't compare to all that lake effect snow you get. I'd really need a two-stage snowblower if I lived there.

---------- Post added 14th Dec 2010 at 05:42 PM ----------

How are you all dealing with the snow over there? Isn't that unusual in the UK? Take care. :slight_smile:

19. Lady Gaga

Lady Gaga Guest

We just got the snow storm you just had there. Only it wasn't as bad where I live, only about 11 inches came down. The temperatures aren't as bad either, it'll be around 2F in the morning, but windy. :/

20. Harve

Almost anywhere can get lake-effect snow, and some hills have ski runs, its certainly not unusual in a select few areas :slight_smile:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Safe to say i like snow.