1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What's Atlanta like for LGBT life?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by RealityCheck, Dec 13, 2010.

1. RealityCheck

Thinking about moving to ATL next year. I haven't lived in a city in awhile and think I might like it down there. Anyone familiar with the area that can give pro's and con's? I'm going to fly down there in January and check it out, so let me know what you think about it.

2. Pseudojim

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    well... it IS the south.

3. Lexington

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Never been there myself, but I know one gay guy who lives down that way. He's not overly pleased with the scene, but as a black gay death-metal fan, he's kind of a niche market. :slight_smile:

Lex

4. maverick

I've heard fun things about the Underground in Atlanta, but honestly after living in Alabama I wouldn't move anywhere in the Deep South as a queer. It is quite literally the worst place in the United States to be gay. All of the chivalrous Southern folks you come across in the more progressive cities like Savannah, Atlanta, Huntsville, Birmingham, etc... do not make up for the occasional crazies you come across in the South, some of whom may or may not take it into their head to give you a hard time or leave you bailwired to a fencepost.

Think about the South's reputation for the way blacks were treated in the 60s', and you'll get an idea of what it's like to be gay there now.

As for my personal experiences, I literally had a guy refuse to work on my car a few weeks ago. Granted, that was in rural Alabama, but you will still occasionally run across those kind of folks if you leave the city limits.

5. RedState

Well, from someone who has spent ALOT of time there I would say that it is a pretty good area. Other than NY, it is prolly the biggest gay city on the East Coast.

I go there maybe every 2 or 3 weekends and have a lot of good friends there and a lot of good times. I would recommend it. Mid-town is the gay area. Just beware of the friggin traffic...some of the worst in the United States.

6. RealityCheck

Thank you for the responses. Glad to hear at least one positive opinion. I don't think that I would be heavy into a club scene. I'm thinking this will make it a lot harder to find potential dates, but I guess I would just like a rather large area where I can feel confident in meeting people with similar interests (and not be beaten to death of course). Right now, I'm looking at the Smyrna/Marrietta area only because I think that most of the traveling I would do would be West and North of there while still having easy access to the airport. I think flying down and spending 4 or 5 days will help to get a feel for it. Personally, I think Nashville would be my favorite city in the south (no I'm not obsessed with Country Music). Atlanta will be my best option for work and travel though. I love traveling to Denver and doubt that it would have a feel like that, but anything close in the south would suit me fine. Time for me to leave the cold weather, and that's a fact! Again thanks, and if you can think of anymore info that could help I will be forever grateful.

7. maverick

I have to say, if I had to relocate within the South, Atlanta would be high on my list of cities. Probably it and New Orleans are the only two I'd consider a relocation to down here. So if you're moving to the South, Atlanta's not a bad place to consider, in my opinion.

(I just live here so I'm like OMG California.)

8. RealityCheck

Thanks for the advice. Since I'm closeted at the moment I guess I just haven't been able to see much of the prejudice in my travels in the South.