1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Photo project: first time

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by x2x2x2x2y2, Dec 14, 2010.

1. x2x2x2x2y2

So my mom wants pictures of my sisters and I and their kids for Christmas. Everyone agrees that I can take the pictures. So does anyone have tips of how exactly to do this?? I don't want these picture to look cheesy. I really want them to come out good and look somewhat professional.

2. Z3ni

Z3ni Guest

Your not being specific enough. Is it a family photo? A photo album??..

3. x2x2x2x2y2

Well a bunch of family photos. Like sis #1 w/her kids. Then sis #2 and her kids. Then all together. Etc.

I plan on putting them all onto an sd card and buying a digital frame. I want any tips that would help make the process of taking the pics smoother. Like advice on positions, angles, lighting, anything that could make the photos look nice.

FYI, one of the photos might be by a Christmas tree.

#3 x2x2x2x2y2, Dec 14, 2010
    Last edited: Dec 14, 2010
  4. Z3ni

Z3ni Guest

Positions?? lol yeah have them all lie down on the floor xD

Ermm the standing next to each other? You have an SLR so I don't see a problem.

You can have the kids at the front, your parents in the middle etc, take a pic of them opening their presents, somewhat posing lol,holding the presents.

5. x2x2x2x2y2

Funny, Paramore(a band) actually did that, except they were laying in the middle of a road. Came out really good too, although I doubt that'd work with a family photo. XD

I honestly have no idea what I'm doing, which is why I made this thread. I don't even know what an SLR is. lol All I know is that I have a camera and a family. :confused:

I think I'm just nervous that they'll look stupid and cheesy. I want to make these photos look good for my mom.

Also, I'm not used to taking pictures of people. I usually like to take pictures of flowers, the sky, etc.

6. Artemicion

If you don't want it to look cheesy hrm..Well part of it is actually...waiting for the moment to close the shutter. Like it shouldn't be something thats fully planned out. Like lets say, its dinner time, you should have your camera with you. You should be able to capture some shots while they're eating but not looking at the camera. Or when they're opening presents. This of course would make it a bit odd for you, as it's a bit hard to make yourself an invisible person and just take pictures (hehe...almost like a paparazzi xD).

Anyways...AVOID FLASH as it tends to blow up the picture too much and gives unnatural tones. To compensate, decrease shutter speed, and maybe increase the ISO a bit if your camera allows you to.

TRY to have a good light source for the scene and pre-setup your camera to the lighting of the room/space you're in. Therefore you'll have to take test shots then adjust the camera until you get it to the right setting. AVOID backlit ppl as the people will turn out dark and the background bright...of course your camera might have features to light up the dark area after the picture is taken OR you can further process it on the computer (photoshop? if you have it and know how to use it). But i wont count on photoshop. Since editing is a pain in the ass specially if you take like hundreds of photos...

Oh and...of course have your camera with you handy all the time! As you don't want to miss the moment...but then again, don't know exactly how you're doing these shots. My idea is...ten days till christmas...so...maybe a build up of pictures thats christmas related? Shopping? Dinner? Christmas tree decorating time? I dunno, i tend to find the process more interesting than awkward pre-planned moments....

But above all, you should not have to overly worry too much. I am sure your mom will know you are putting a lot of effort into this and will like it regardless :slight_smile:

I hope i didn't ramble too much...GL with your photo project!

7. x2x2x2x2y2

Thanks so much!!! :slight_smile:

8. Jiggles

Jiggles Guest

What I do it make sure the subject is nicely lit then just take LOADS of photos then go though them taking the best ones :slight_smile: (its what the real photographers do. xD)