1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

So what?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Lotty, Dec 18, 2010.

1. Lotty

Maybe this isn't the best place to post this, but I wouldn't know where else. Okay, this is my point:
    People make such a big deal of it. I mean, yeah, I'm in love with a girl, so what? She's human. I'd understand it if she was a dog or something. But she's just a girl. A lovely HUMAN girl. I found it very hard to come out to my friends because everyone always seems so upset about it. I'm bi. WHATEVER. I haven't changed. I'm no criminal, I don't use drugs, I'm just bi. Get over it.
    So my question is: why do people make such a big deal of it? Any ideas?

2. djt820

Probably the indoctrination of religion several centuries ago that had several outdated and hateful ideologies but hey, Drugs aren't always bad. Haters gonna hate.

3. Miyaga

It could be because of how society has viewed it for so long. Being attracted to the same sex or both sexes is not the "Norm". So when it happens to someone people know they dont know how to deal with it. So this is when you get all sorts of questions like "are you sure" "is it a phase" "are you confused" "did a man hurt you really badly", things like that.

Over time people have become more acceptable but those societal stereotypes still exist and will probably always exist. So unfortunately when you share that part of you there will be those people who question it even though they dont have a right to.

Hope this helps (*hug*)

4. maverick

^ This part really bothers me, the assumption that because I am not necessarily attracted to men (as a woman) means that I must have been a) molested as a child or b) sexually mistreated in some way in a past relationship.

I don't know what to tell you Lotty, other than that I know exactly what you mean. I'm so frustrated at my mother right now for the way she's reacting to my coming out that when she cold-shoulders me, I just want to scream at her, What business is it of yours anyway?! You didn't seem to care who I was dating before, why do you suddenly care now!!?

5. Bang Bang

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I understand just how you feel. Sometimes it just feels like no one can understand what you feel for another person.
    I myself sometime wonder why people see same-sex love as something different. Love is love, is it not? It shouldn't matter who it is you're in love with.

Honestly, as much as I try to keep my intolerance for religion to a minimum, I can only point my finger at them for this. I believe religion is (slightly changing now) the leading contributor to the negative and inhumane attitude towards homosexuality.

But you have to know that not everyone is like that. There are more people than you could expect that would support you and not even notice (or care) that you're bisexual. Just keep your head up, you'll eventually find these people. :slight_smile:

6. happy

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I feel the same way as you, Lotty. And...telling people has been pretty easy for me wih the exception of the woman I have feelings for. I do fear the consequences of the friendship by disclosing to her. Other than that, I have a "so what" attitude. And luckily, so have those I've told. I'm also bi. I see myself being in love with a human being. And I do think it has a lot to do with how much people are able to think for themselves and separate their upbringing and societal influences, from everything else.

7. Lotty

Thanks everyone:icon_bigg
    But, actually, I still don't understand. One of my friends acts different around me now. We wanted to go out yesterday night and she said she actually didn't want to go. She didn't say why, just 'I don't feel like it'
    On the other hand, I have a friend who's totally laid-back. We were actually talking about my crush as if I was in love with a boy. Exept a few questions: 'does it feel different to being in love with a boy?' and 'so if you see a poster with almost naked women, you think it's hot rather than disgusting?' I answered no to both questions. I mean, I don't think half-naked women are disgusting, but she doesn't think a poster with a naked man is hot either.
    But why do people think it's different to love the same sex? Don't they understand that love is love? They're also cool about a white girl and a dark boy being together. Then they also say: love doesn't know anything about race. Well, I think love doesn't know any bounds.