1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How do you do say hi or bye?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by TheEdend, Dec 23, 2010.

1. TheEdend

TheEdend Guest

Ok, so this may sound really trivial to many of you, but I'm having some trouble with it for some reason and I could use your input to help me think.

For some reason, I've been having a hard time saying hi and bye to gay friends. Its just awkward for some reason. I usually either fist bump (sounds lame saying it) or do the "bro shake" (sounds just as lame saying it out loud haha) with guys, but for some reason it feels weird doing it with other gay dudes. I've seen that most just hug it out, which sucks because I'm not a very huggy person xD I tried doing the "bro shake" once and he just looked at me like I was nuts and gave me a hug. I was like damn haha I'm lame lol

How do you guys go about it? As of now I just say hi and bye and just stand there with a smile xD

It was REALLY awkward when I was with my ex once. We were going to say bye and we didn't know what to do xD

Ok, I'll stop the ramble now :grin:

2. RaRa

I hug all my friends when I say hi or bye....

The bro shake looks pretty idiotic.

But I never thought "hey" or "bye" sounded awkward....

So this is only happening with your gay friends?

3. TheEdend

TheEdend Guest

Ya, thats the thing. I'm not a very huggy person.

And ya, only happens with my gay friends. The straight ones is pretty easy and the girls is just a hug. And its just awkward because you are suppose to make body contact when you say hi or bye. Maybe it be a hand shake or a hugg, but it looks better. Now all I do is say hi or bye haha xD

Like I said, very trivial thing that has been nagging at me for a while.

4. Lexington

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Depends on the gay friend.

For instance, I greet one gay friend at work by either saying "uh-huh" or "Brrrrrt!" I have no idea how we fell into using those as greetings, but that's what we say now. For goodbye, we say "later" or "later skater", or occasionally do one of these goofy long ones. "I'm outtie like Kurt Goudie." "I'm gone like the hair on Elton John." "I'm later like Christan Slater."

Some I hug hello to, some I hug goodbye to, some I don't do either. The generic one is "hey" for hello and "see ya" for goodbye.

Lex

5. Owen

In Loving Memory Full Member

Maybe we just come from different cultural backgrounds, but I'd don't do anything physical when I saw hello or goodbye to people; I just say "Hey" or "Hello" when I see them and "Bye" or "See you later" when we part. Gay friends are no different, and I use the same policy for them that I use for everyone else; I only hug them if they hug first, with the exception of friends who have explicitly sought out hugs from me and voiced that they like my hugs. I know these people want hugs, so I hug them, but they are few and far between. For 98% of the people I interact with, a simple "Hi" and "Bye" are sufficient.

6. Lady Gaga

Lady Gaga Guest

I think maybe you're just intimidated by the fact that they're gay too.

Same for me. And to go further, when I see my friends after a long break at school I will run up to them as soon as I see them, no matter how far away, and I will just hug-rape them.

7. straal1972

I've just recently decided 'Fuck it' and started hugging my male relations. I love these men in my life and want to express it this way. I know it doesn't answer your question, but that is what I'm doing. I haven't done anything beyond hand shake with non-family members, wait thats not true. In our culture (ukrainian) it is common around festival times for all the men to hug as well.

8. Shevanel

Unless it's with someone close, I usually do a little kinda wave thing when saying Hi or Bye. xD With close friends it's a hug usually.

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DpMD9FrHe0o[/YOUTUBE]

9. Daniel

How I say hello and goodbye to people depends on the person;

-Formal: Handshake
    -Informal but distant: Wave or a nod with a smile
    -Informal: Hug
    -Informal and close: Kiss (cheek)

10. Elven

I tend to nod or do a wierd finger twizzle wave for hi and bye, through with anyone I know fairly well I often tap their shoulder or just intergrate into a conversation to make them jump :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: For some reason hugging feels false like it means more to me than it does to them...

11. Kirakishou

A wave. Sometimes more spastically than others depending on my mood.
    I hug people sometimes too, when I know I can hug them without seeming weird.

12. maverick

"See you on the flipside."
    "Peace out."
    "What's up buttercup?"
    "What's shakin' bacon?"
    "What's up home skillet?" (A: Hashbrowns.)
    *hug*

13. Maddy

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I don't really have anything between saying hi and hugging. If someone's a friend I hug them, if they're an acquaintance I just say hi. (Or hug them. I hug strangers sometimes.)

14. Zontar

"'Sup Brothaman!"

15. GoinStag

In Loving Memory

well with my girlfriends I usually give a polite handshake. With my guy friends on the other hand, I like to pull them close for a hug where we grind groins and I grab his ass....

jk. With my guy friends I just say "wussup" or "hey" or something. No contact needs to be made. With most of my girlfriends, we just say "hey" and hug.

16. Adam

Don't really have any gay friends but this is how I greet/bye

Hey and sometimes a handshake

I do one of these for bye-
    Peace out
    Peace
    Cya
    Do a handshake or shake/half hug thing with the guys
    Hug the girls and say bye

17. Nodnarb

I pretty much always use a generic "hey"/"see ya". I only have one friend that I hug when saying hi/bye and that's just because she's a really huggy person.

18. Miyaga

I love hugs so I hug everyone... but i have two different hugs

1. "straight Hug" lean in and hug
    2. "gay hug" fully body hug

weird I know but thats what I do, sometimes a kiss on the cheek

19. Filip

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Well, I mostly don't really do anything physical with friends. I say hi, and then immediately launch into conversation (so it's more like: "hi, nice to see you, how've you been since last tuesday?") And when I say bye, I usually say "see you later!", turn and leve.

If I haven't seen them in a really long time, I usually give a handshake to the guys, and a kiss on the cheek to girls.

Technically, the local convention as I understand it (yes, in Belgium we have conventions for everything) is that if you're both gay (and out), you kiss each other on the cheek. I only have one gay friend that I meet regularly, and I usually only kiss him on the cheek when in front of our straight friends to shock them xD
    Otherwise we just usually lounch into conversation right away.

But usually, I want to talk to my friends, or have other things to do after meeting with them, so I don't bother with a lot of greeting ritual.

20. Lychee

I hug all of my guy friends, kiss most of my girl friends on the cheek but hug a few.
    However, my best friend and I never ever hug or kiss or anything when we see each other. Neither of us are particularly affectionate people, although we do it to adhere to social conventions, but we just don't bother with each other. The other day was the last time we were going to see each other for about a month, and there was this awkward moment when we were saying bye when it was like "should we hug?" and we were both like "nahhhh" and walked off.
    I just find hugs awkward, especially if they are not for saying hi or bye.