1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Guys

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by TWFit, Feb 2, 2006.

1. TWFit

Im finding it really hard to find a guy, any advice?

2. Paul_UK

Paul_UK Guest

I bet many people here wish there was an easy answer to that one! Unfortunately there isn't. The options depend on your age, location and circumstances. It also depends what you want a guy for - by which I mean whether you are looking for a boyfriend or a one-nighter.

If you are above the legal age of consent and live in a fair sized city in a country that doesn't have a homophobic right-wing government there may be one or more gay or "mixed" bars or clubs - maybe only gay on certain nights of the week or whatever. Go along and enjoy yourself, and you may get lucky. If you go along specifically looking to find someone you are likely to come across as a bit desperate which seriously reduces your chances. It's a horrible generalisation but people in gay bars and clubs seem to be more likely to be looking for one-nighters than longer term relationships.

In some larger cities there may be other gay interest groups such as gay choirs, amateur dramatic groups, cycling groups or whatever. If you are lucky enugh to live in one of these areas and there is a group that interests you, this would be good. The great thing with this sort of group is that people are there for the activity rather than "to be gay" so you will get to know people as themselves. You could make some good friendships and maybe more will come of it.

Someone mentioned coming-out support groups in another thread. If you are coming out or are fairly recently out this may be something to get involved with. They are obviously not intended as dating groups, but the whole point is to meet other gay guys as the more you meat the more likely you are to find the right one. Maybe directly, maybe a friend of a friend, whatever!

Meeting people in person is by far the best approach, but try not to judge people by first appearances. A pretty/cute/hansom face is great for first attraction but what is important is the person behind the face.

If you have no options for meeting gay guys in organised groups etc, then things get more tricky. There are numerous online gay dating and meeting websites etc, but from what I have seen and heard the chances of success there are minimal. A lot of people at these places are not who they appear to be (using photos from when they were younger or photos of other people, lying about their appearance, age etc) so you'd need to be very cautions and not fall for the person in a photograph. From people I know these seem to be more effective for straight people than gay people.

I met my partner over 14 years ago through a personal advert in a gay magazine (Gay Times) in the UK. That was in the days when personal adverts were just that, and you replied via a PO box provided by the magazine. Now these have largely been replaced by premium rate phone lines where you listen to the person and leave a message if you are interested. Good for making money for the magazine, but I don't know if they are so effective at finding partners.

I dunno if this has helped at all. There is probably nothing there that you weren't already aware of. Let's see what others suggest. Maybe if you gave your age and some indication of where you are (country and perhaps city or area) someone may have some ideas more relevant to you.

Good luck!

3. TWFit

Im 15 in Kent,UK

4. Micah

Even though Paul covered everything nicely, I'll just add my own experiences in meeting gay guys.

Every couple of months in my city an underage gay 'dance party' takes place. This is where, for 6 or so hours, gay teenagers can meet up at a specific nightclub and dance/talk etc. It was through these dance parties that I met one of my boyfriends of the time.

I also met one of my best gay friends over the internet. Long story short we met in a chatroom and are now awesome friends IRL. While that takes a truck load of luck, it goes to show that friendships and relationships can indeed develop over the net.

Another one of my best gay friends goes to my school - so not much to explain there.

Point is, that there are heaps of different ways to meet guys, but it usually involves getting out there into the gay community and making friends, who will introduce you to their friends etc. Also remember not to just be on the look out for potential boyfriends - it's awesome to have gay friends too.

5. Paul_UK

Paul_UK Guest

I just got this in my email from www.gayboysupport.nl which may be worth looking at.

At the moment the network page seems to be full of identical fake signups with no real contacts there, however that may be what it does when you aren't signed in?