1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Laptop suggestions

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by xCrazyInsanity, Dec 27, 2010.

1. xCrazyInsanity

I've got $320 saved, and $125 on it's way.

$445 is enough to get a laptop usually, and my mom is willing to throw in up to $100

I need laptop! Preferably windows, simply because I don't want to have to learn how to use a mac and id like to keep my media files.

What do people have/like/hate?

2. maverick

I can't suggest a laptop I like, but I can suggest one that I absolutely hated - Dell.

**** Dell. Cheap piece of junk.

3. lostinthought9

Hm, Toshiba seems to be a good brand. At least for me anyways.
    Then again, we all have those stories/experiences where we dislike a certain brand for watever reason.

4. maverick

My main issue with Dell is not being able to get the LT fixed at a store like a normal person, you have to do everything through their customer service and it's a total pain in the ass to have to ship your laptop back to them, etc...

Also, my Dell fried a motherboard the same year that I bought it, and with a lot of non-backed-up writing material and whatnot on it. It was unrecoverable. The laptop also had a tendency to run extremely hot - it was obvious the cooling system was not adequate. (Either that or I spend waaaay too much time on the computer.)

No, I'm not bitter. :dry:

5. xCrazyInsanity

yeah i was thinking "not dell" - partly because my school uses them and they're a piece of shit

6. Mirko

Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Um.. let me add Acer to that list. :wink:

If you want one with MS Windows, the Toshiba or Sony laptops are pretty good and maybe you can find one that is on sale at the moment and that you like.

I myself have a Gateway laptop and never had a problem with it. I have it for four years now and it is till working pretty good. Those would be my suggestions. :slight_smile:

7. Eleanor Rigby

May I asked that Mac laptops are extremly easy to use ? I own a macbook and I am more than happy about it.

8. xCrazyInsanity

I have 500+ music files in windows media player format, which won't transfer if I get a mac
    Id rather not purchace/download all my music again

9. Shevanel

You could just convert them. Just saying.

10. csm123

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Hi,i would add acer to the never list and avoid dell.

On a more positive note,my latest laptop is a HP with winows 7 and has been extremly good and always seems to run cool,it needs to be on for several hours before the fan can even be heard.In my opinion this is the best of the 3 laptops that i have owned.

11. Jiggles

Jiggles Guest

Flip for mac. means it will play all your windoz file formats. WMV and WMAs. :slight_smile:. If my technophobe dad can use a mac with out me teaching him, they have to be easy to use lol..

12. xCrazyInsanity

And my Word documents, which havve to be transferred from home and school?

13. browneyedboy

ive got Microsoft office on my macbook, it comes with word, excel, powerpoint etc, it works almost exactly like on windows, and ive never had trouble opening a file on it.
    Although not sure what macbooks are going for price wise, but if i covert mine was a bit over your budget, you might be able to get a relatively new 2nd hand one with office already on. However i do understand that macs not for everyone, id suggest using one a bit first just to see.

"Once you've gone mac, you'll never go back" :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: :slight_smile:

14. ANightDude

If you already have them, I'm not sure if you can transfer them.
    But you can buy a little package to go with a Mac that comes with Pages (Mac version of Word), Keynote (Powerpoint, I think) and Numbers (Excel). Pages you can save them as a .doc or a .pages, the .doc will work if you need to transfer it to PC. It's actually really easy. :slight_smile:

15. Jiggles

Jiggles Guest

On a mac there are just about no issues with transferring or compatibility. :slight_smile: There is always a replacement for all apps thats normally just as good if not better! My sisters macbook cost £550 second hand. ($850) Chances are at this time of the year there will be a few that people are getting rid of due to xmas thus cheaper!

16. xCrazyInsanity

Holy SHIT. Macs are completely out of my price range. Something that's used that would be cheep enough would be obsolete technology.
    Quick google search gave $800-$1000
    (Versus 300-500)

Incompatability with word 97-2003 is the issue there. Home PC has 03, and the school is liable to stop using word 07 at any time.

#16 xCrazyInsanity, Dec 28, 2010
    Last edited: Dec 28, 2010
  17. 507bro

here a link I suggest this one : click
    if you don't like that one there are tons more here: click

18. fallendream

Funny, I've never had an issue with any Acers, and not met anyone who has.

19. Lady Gaga

Lady Gaga Guest

Why must people no read the first post? He has about 500 dollars. Macs are about...1500.

:/

If you can find an Asus or Toshiba, I suggest go with them. They have the highest quality machines, lowest fail rate (meaning you wont have to fix it as often), and they're very reliable.

However, even though HP is generally crap, some of it's laptops are fantastic.

The HP 625 is very good for every day computing. My mom has had one since the day it came out, and it still runs like it did on the first day. The case is also very sturdy, which usually isn't the case with HP (case-in-point, the HP Mini 1116nr netbook, it's screen falls off from normal opening and closing.) But the HP 625 is good. Not to mention it's a pretty sexy looking laptop. See? I think it looks a lot like a Mac, which is nice because I love how they look.

Asus's are very hard to find new and cheap, so I don't have any.

My brother has a Toshiba Satelite that he uses for school. It's actually really fast. I was very surprised at it's speed to be honest. Also, he's dropped it multiple times (and stepped on it actually) and nothing has broke, so I assume that's good lol. It also is very good for every day computing.

I think the video card is better in the Toshiba Satelite, but the processor is better in the HP 625.

Those are the two laptops I am eyeing when I have enough money. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

20. TheRoof

without the money constraints, i would def recommend mac. considering the money constraint, you could just get good samsung netbook. I bought samsung netbook few months ago bc my laptop died, and i actually prefer netbook (in terms of college study purposes) bc it's more convenient than laptop, bc it's lighter and smaller, so it's easier to carry around in bag. and it's pretty fast too, so I really dont even use laptop these days...you should definitely research using amazon or bestbuy or other internet websites, and see the ratings, price, computer system...etc and find the best option. Good luck!

#20 TheRoof, Dec 28, 2010
    Last edited: Dec 28, 2010