1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Golden Girls

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Miyaga, Dec 27, 2010.

1. Miyaga

Ok, don't hate me, but what is up with gays and Golden Girls?

I have seen a few episodes and I don't think the show is that great.

So am I just missing something here or what?

Also, why is it that most gay people I know love this show? 80% of them were not even born when this show was on air.... Let me know what you guys think.

2. Gerry

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I don't quite know the answer to this but I must say that I really love this show and find it funny and just enjoy watching it all the time. I own all 7 seasons on dvd too. :lol:

3. RAJ Aladdin

RAJ Aladdin Guest

I hate the word "Fabulous" and I hate the colour pink. I love "The Golden Girls" but I also love science fiction and comic books, which if we're going to get stereotypical is a heterosexually male thing...

Don't give into a stereotype. You don't like "The Golden Girls", then good for you, it is an opinion and you have your right to express it. It doesn't mean as a gay man you're missing out because you don't like it. A lot of gay men HATE "Queer as Folk".

"The Golden Girls" is an amazing show, straight or gay, black or white, Christian or Jew. I loved it since I was a child and I don't believe for a second I gravitated towards it because of it's gay appeal...I was 2- I was more concerned with eating glue.

4. Owen

In Loving Memory Full Member

Personally, I enjoy it because it's the only sitcom I have ever seen that is consistently actually funny. You don't need to be gay to appreciate that. It was also one of the first sitcoms to deal with homosexuality (in addition to many other issues) and portray it in a positive light, which could explain why its so popular with our community. And though I can't say this from personal experience, I know that the gay community has a history of gravitating towards strong female figures, and the show had four females as its main characters, so I'd say it definitely qualifies for that category. As for people who weren't born when the show was on the air, they probably got told about it by friends of theirs who liked it; that's how I found out about it.

5. excuseyou77

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Not only this, but all four actresses have been for gay rights and have been gay friendly. For instance, one of the last things Bea Arthur did before she passed away was donate some money towards a gay homeless youth shelter.
    I don't really see why the age of the show matters. I'm 25 (which is just as old as GG), and I love a lot of classic TV shows. Not to mention GG has been rerun in syndication for a long time... 12 years on Lifetime and now on Hallmark. If they never saw it originally on NBC they probably caught a syndicated rerun or watched on YouTube.

I've loved the show for a very long time and am about ready to complete the DVD collection of it. Not only a funny show but very well acted. It basically shows that life doesn't stop at a certain age or a certain time in one's life. One of my favorite shows ever, I'd feel this way gay or not.

6. JB1986

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I love "The Golden Girls" because it's hilarious. Every episode has at least one part where I laugh hysterically. It's one of the few shows that I can see an episode tons of times (which I have, especially since I own the entire series on DVD) and laugh myself in hysterics. Blanche's revelation that a man in a Santa suit sets her "body aflame with unbridled desire" (quoted from the show) sens me into hysterical fits of laughter. Plus, Bea Arthur, Estelle Getty, Betty White, and Rue McClanahan were perfect in their roles. They were comedy pros doing what they did best. Plus they did shine a positive light on gay people several times. And this was the mid eighties to early nineties. This was a very progressive show. Plus like other posters have said, the actresses themselves were vocal gay supporters. Me being gay had nothing to do with me falling in love with the show nine years ago. I would have loved it even if I weren't gay. Maybe my being gay does make me see some of the episodes a little differently, meaning I love the episodes where they discussed gay issues even more. But the show was so funny, and so wonderful, I would have loved it even if I weren't gay. The show is a classic, and one of the greatest shows of all-time. It's the best comedy series ever, in my opinion. :slight_smile:

7. Daniel

I've seen every episode at least 17 times. And I mean every single episode.

For me it's a comfort thing. I originally watched the show out of boredom. But then some of the topics endeared me to the show, such as Blanche's brother coming out, Rose's HIV scare, etc. The show was extremely progressive for the time period and featured some great actresses.

The characters were well developed with strong histories and even stronger relationships.

I guess the reason it's a "stereotype" is because a lot of gay men enjoy the show because it featured such a GLBT friendly crew. All of the women were vocal supporters of GLBT equality. Also of PETA. But I digress.

Anywho, it's a funny show and not everyone has to like it.

8. Emberstone

three words: Perfect Comic Timing.

9. Miyaga

thanks for all your comments. I have decided to give the show another shot, does anyone know where i could watch it online? like from the beginning?

10. Courtneyyy

i enjoy it. but my mom watched it when i was growing up, so i'd see it then, same with mash and law and order, those too are some of my favorite shows just because they were on when i was a kid

11. Mirko

Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Yep, I'd start with the first couple of episodes where they move in together into Blanche's house. It sets up the series. :slight_smile:

12. Owen

http://www.youtube.com/user/GoingGoldenAgain

Every single episode (minus the first part of one of them, but that's easy to find elsewhere on youtube). You're welcome. Don't judge it based on just the first episode; it was pretty different from the other episodes, in that it had more serious moments and a character who never showed up again (to my knowledge).

13. Miyaga

(*hug*) thanks

14. Owen

No problem. :slight_smile: