1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I need some tips on Travel Safety in canada...

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by MusicIsLife, Dec 29, 2010.

1. MusicIsLife

So this summer I'm travelling to 5 different Canadian provinces, and I want to make sure I'm not going to get harassed. I don't "look" gay but I do have a pride wristband that I wear, and my Pentagram to kind of show off my Pagan pride.

I'm going to Winnipeg, Manitoba, and my friend and I (also pagan and gay) are road-tripping through New Brunswick, Nova Scotia and Prince Edward Island before moving on to Newfoundland, where we will be spending most of our time.

My questions are, Should I exercise precaution in how "out and proud" I am in any of these places, and how safe are they?

In terms of safety I'm not worried about Newfoundland, my family are all newfies and I know what to expect, but for the other provinces, I'm not so sure as the furthest east ive ever been is Tadoussac, and the furthest west is sudbury.

Sooo advice?

2. maverick

I don't think you'd have problems in any of those places just for wearing a necklace and wristband, but use your common sense. If you're in an area that feels hostile or sketchy, go on the downlow and put the pride symbols away. In areas that are dangerous for queers (or anyone who is "different") anonymity is pretty much the only way to ensure you're not a target.

3. Fintan

Honestly, I'd be really surprised if you have any trouble travelling. Canadians in general are pretty accepting of different faiths/traditions/orientations.

I come from a pretty rural community in Ontario and I never saw blatent discrimination against pagans/gays/ethic groups etc. But, don't be surprised if you dress in a very different manner than the locals that you will be noticed and perhaps whispered about?

As for safety, I don't think this will be a particular concern. However, as with all travelling be smart and don't put yourself in possibly dangerous situations.

I think as long as you mind your own business, they will be happy to mind their own.

#3 Fintan, Dec 29, 2010
    Last edited: Dec 29, 2010
  4. straal1972

At this point I would say something really witty, possibly sarcastic that would make everyone fall off their chair laughing, but I can't think of anything, so blah

5. Revan

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I think the best thing to do is just use discretion plain and simple. Don't be blatantly gay, but wearing pride symbols are fine, as long as you're probably not like...wearing a full on rainbow outfit, you should probably be quite fine lol.

6. SlickyPants

I don't think you'll have any problems in Winnipeg. Myself or friends have never had any problems. As with any city though there are always some rotten apples that might say something rude or something like that.

As most have said though just use a bit of common sense. Try to always have a friend or two with you becuase wandering around alone is never good in a foreign city. Don't give change to the beggers, they'll probably just spend it on booze. There are places where they can get food if they need it but giving them money just makes their problems worse. This generally isn't a problem except for downtown.

I wouldn't say any particular part of the city is homophobic but I would just avoid the North End (Main Street north of City Hall/The Planetarium/Museum), it's a bit of a dump.

You might enjoy Osbourne Village. It is definitely a very gay-friendly place for the most part. It's got a good mix of people down there and nearly every restaurant or business has a gay pride flag on the door or window. You might enjoy wandering around the Exchange District. It's an older part of town but there isn't much to do. (There probably is but I don't go there that often to know) The Forks is kind of neat to wander around. The city centre basically, where the two rivers meet. St. Boniface is a french community in the city you might like. There are a few gay bars/clubs if you're into that sort of thing. Gio's on Smith St. and Club 200 and Fame are both on Garry St. All three are within less than a minute walk of each other. I haven't been to any of these places in a while so I don't know how they are nowadays. Everything is pretty much accessable on foot from downtown.

Enjoy your cross-country tour. Have fun and be safe.

7. LostandFound

LostandFound Guest

I think out east you may get a lot of stares (depending on how 'out' you are) and most people probably won't approve but I think it's highly unlikely that you'll experience any violence or harrassment.

8. SolitaryKnight

You really won't have much problem in NB, everyone is pretty laid back.