1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I want a job >.> (uk)

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Ty, Oct 11, 2007.

1. Ty

Ty Guest

Urm i have no idea how someone under the age of 16 (working age) can get a job in the UK.....i really need like spare cash instead of borrowing off my parents all the time ~ ive already done a paper round before but quit that....any suggestions?

2. Tom

Tom Guest

its hard to get ur first job, only way i cud manage to get 1 before i was 16 was thru my family, thts y i work formy uncle atm

3. Dantir

I would also like to keep an eye on this thread... I'm interested in finding a job too. >_<

4. Ty

Ty Guest

What ever happend to good ol' child labour ? =/

5. Jamie

Drammen, Norway (from England originally).
    14 year old, you can only work for a few hours a week as you'll also require a work permit from your local education authority (something your employer will apply for). The majority of employers unfortunately won't touch a 14 year old with a barge pole, so short of some part time waiting tables at a local restaurant or a paper round - there's not much more you can do.

6. bvtsjm116

bvtsjm116 Guest

I don't see why you wanna work :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: I don't wanna get a job yet xD

7. neverover

im dying to get a job! i need a new powerbook... but its hard to get a job in my country here, u need to at least graduated from high skool.

8. davo-man

Im sure how different it is in the UK (so sorry if its terribly different and then just discount my post), but in Australia pretty much 12-15 yr olds can work at fast food places like MacDonald's and they hire them really easily. Then 15 upwards, I recommend places at large retail stores like Coles, Target, K-Mart, Big W, Woolworths etc cos you are at an age where you're desperate for money, they need lots of staff around Christmas time (and they hire ppl at around this time) and they only need to pay you minimal amounts

So advice is, get your resume organised, and put it into place like Coles, Target etc (sorry if you don't have those exact stores, but I think you get the gist)

9. tanisha94

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    i could get you a job

10. Louise

If companies won't employ you because of work permits etc, try to be a bit enterprising.

It's not the right time of year for it but you can give out flyers offering to mow peoples lawns, wash their cars, wash their windows, go house cleaning, dog walking, gardening jobs...even accompanying an elderly person on the bus to do their shopping to help them carry it, the list is endless when you sit down and think about it.

The targets (well target maybe isn't the best word) for finding these jobs are elderly people who have difficulty doing some household or garden chores and they are often very happy to have a young person around, it can bring them lots of happiness and most of them are really interesting to be around. Some can be grumpy old sods but if they are, don't work for them!

The money of course is cash in hand and you can do these jobs after school or at the week-end when it suits you instead of getting up at 6am to do a paper round. Ugh! been there, done that!

Good luck

11. Jamie

Drammen, Norway (from England originally).
    Having worked as an management at a theme park here, you can imagine on my staff we had a fair number of 'children' and 'young persons'. Apologies or using the legal terms there:

children = people under 16
    young person = 16 -18
    adult = 18+

Within the UK (not sure about other countries) there are so many rules regarding the employment of children as their health and safety and of course studies are really important. As mentioned before, all employers need to apply to the local education authority and council for a work permit to be able to employ each child. With that they must submit risk assessments, action plans, etc to show that the child will not be working more than the allowed hours, will not be doing anything dangerous, etc.

As Davo-man suggests above, fast food is a great opportunity for work for many young people. But unfortunately you're unlikely to get a job at 14 in these areas. As for legal reasons you wouldn't even be allowed to fry chips, so the most you could do is basic cleaning and till work. I know that at a push the theme park where I worked would only employ 15+ but this is when they're really close to becoming 16. As the reduced hours, added health and safety and increased breaks you're required to take are just too costly to the business and inconvenient.

So.. as said before in the UK your best bet would be a paper round or waiting some tables at a local restaurant. As these are usually flexible, can be done in the couple of hours a day you're allowed to work and present very little danger.

12. davo-man

Wow, I didnt realise there were so many rules governing working in relation to young people...I havent heard of those in Australia, but then again Im pretty naive in the field of law, so there might be the same laws over here

Good luck in the job department to all thos who are looking for one

13. Paul_UK

Paul_UK Guest

It was about 20 years ago so things have probably changed, but my sister got a job in a local cafe when she was 15. It was taking food to customers tables, clearing the tables and loading/unloading the dishwasher. I don't know whether they did all the permit stuff properly, but she was paid cash at the end of each shift so I doubt it. They did get written authority from my parents though.

You would probably do better looking at small local independent shops and cafes, rather than ones that are part of big chains or groups. The biggies will have to follow all the rules whereas the smaller ones may conveniently "forget" some of them.

If you do end up having to get a paper round but don't like the early starts, look at the weekly free newspapers which are usually delivered in the afternoon or evening. You can do that after school.

I like Louise's suggestions too. Your parents may know neighbours who could use a bit of help and may be able to make the initial introduction for you.

14. Ty

Ty Guest

Hmmm i might ask at a pub or something.....ill see how it goes, when i get back from africa ofcourse

15. Jerr

I'd suggest trying to find odd jobs that people need help with. Moving things, cutting grass, cleaning cars. That stuff

16. Jeimuzu

I totally second most of the stuff here. Company policy in major companies is set at HQ - and that's not gonna change for you. In a one-off little shop you'll find that policy isn't always so stringent, because if you inquire there, there's a good chance that the person you'd enquire to would be the same person who sets the rules.