1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cursing?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Lady Gaga, Dec 31, 2010.

?

Cursing..is it bad?

1. Who the hell cares?

84 vote(s)
    86.6%
  2. Yes!

13 vote(s)
    13.4%
  1. Lady Gaga

Lady Gaga Guest

What are you opinions on cursing?

2. Remk

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm going with who the hell cares. The only time I don't curse is in the presence of kids and in front of patients at work.

3. Ridiculous

I don't really like it when people swear directly at or about someone, but if it's just a passing comment (like "shit it's cold!") then it's fine.

4. Lady Gaga

Lady Gaga Guest

Personally, I see nothing wrong with it in most cases. Unless they are derogatory towards a person.

The way I see it, curse words are just viewed as bad because so many people say they're bad. If those people didn't say they were bad, would they be bad? No.

Why is "shit" a curse word? "Crap" means the exact same thing and is used in the same context. Yet, that's not a curse word. Hypocrisy.

Same with "fuck". So many words that aren't curse words can replace that depending on the context. Personally, "fuck" is my favorite word because of it's wide variety of uses.

What about "dick"? What makes "penis" so much better than "dick"? I feel bad for dick.

And don't forget about "bitch, bitches.

The way I see it is that if you use them in a mean way towards someone such as "Fuck you, bitch!" or "Go die you fag!" then it's bad. But if you say it like "Fuck! I dropped my god damn pencil!" or "I'm a faggot, yes that means I like asses. They pleasure my dick." then it's perfectly fine.

5. justinallen5

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Lol I agree entirely. I have this argument at least once a month with my mother. I think it may be a generational issue...

6. Maddy

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I have a little bit of a potty mouth when I'm with my friends, but don't swear at all at home out of respect for my mother, who doesn't like hearing it.
    My sister doesn't curse at all, pretty much, because she thinks they're powerful words which lose their meaning if they're thrown around like commas. I definitely see where she's coming from. She said fuck out loud for the first time in her life when she was diagnosed with a brain tumour, and nothing could have expressed how she felt about it better.

7. Lychee

The only word that I do not approve of, and will never say is the one starting with c. And no, not crap.

8. ok455

It don't bother me people cuss all the time at my job i know one guy whos a christian going to school to be a pastor and he cusses more then i do.

9. Ben

Ben

I very rarely curse, and it's not too difficult to find other ways to sharpen sentences just as or more effectively.

I think of curses as being reserved for very emotive situations rather than casual conversation. But I know that's a view not really shared by everyone of our generation, so I'm not insulted by people who swear all the time.
    I just think that casual swears every other word can get monotonous and blunt, rendering themselves meaningless and creating an empty, unnecessary place in speech for those who aren't offended and a potentially vulgar and uncomfortable place for those who are.

10. Z3ni

Z3ni Guest

I don't mind it much, part from when people use it in every sentence, to "try" and act like a bad arse.

"Yeaaah man, I went to that fucking place what the fuck do you call it? Yeaaah thats the fucking one, fucking fuck fuck fuck fuck~~~~~~~" etc etc

But I used to swear quite a bit, but I now I don't swear much, maybe I should do it more often, people starts to see me as a soft guy.

11. Ethan

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I rarely swear unless there is something insane (good or bad) happening or for comedic effect with my guy friends. Even then I pretty much only use shit, bitch, ass, and damn.

12. LostandFound

LostandFound Guest

I rarely swear. I don't see anything wrong with it but I like to keep the words for times when I really need them, when I need to show I'm intense about something.

13. malachite

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I have quite the potty mouth myself :***:

14. Steve712

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    It's just like any word. When directed at a person maliciously, I frown upon it. Otherwise, I don't care.

Well, that isn't true. It does sound really unprofessional in a work or formal atmosphere. Other than that, I don't care.

15. Fintan

I feel the same way. And I can't stand people that curse every second word. What's the point? Sometimes I feel like I should buy them a dictionary so that they have a few more words to choose from :icon_wink

16. Enaithor

It's a bloody word :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:
    The only word I avoid all the time is c*** because although I still think it's just another word, I know that a lot of people would kill me upon the utterance of it
    But with most other words if someone gets a tad annoyed you can calm them down but with c*** they're like GO HOME YOU CHAUVINISTIC T***
    And then I'm just left thinking "Um, what makes c*** so much worse than t***"

If I know someone is sensitive to swear words, I'll make an effort to avoid using them though, but I'll still think that they are rather silly

17. starfish

It really doesn't bother me, but I do think that people swear too much no days. My self included. I've been working on it and I have gotten. a lot better.

As a friend mine says, if you swear all the time how will we know when you are mad?

18. maverick

I swear liberally, but not around people who are offended by it. I've just always hung around men growing up, and a lot of young men in general like to swear (usually just for comedic effect - think Stifler in American Pie).

But I consider swearing at someone to be extremely rude and aggressive. I never let arguments evolve to that point. I'll walk away first.

I usually use swear words as descriptors. Like, "It's cold as a welldigger's ass out here" or "That'll be on the twelfth of fucking never" or "Don't shit kittens, it's not that big of a deal."

I try to not curse around people who are offended by it though. My friend at work is fundamentally religious and she considers it profane, so I am careful not to curse around her out of respect for that.

19. Zontar

I fucking love cursing.

20. GoinStag

In Loving Memory

My parents have allowed me to curse since I was like 8. Most of my teachers are cool with it aswell.