1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Vermont is weird... (Just a funny dilemma)

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Ichi42go, Jan 1, 2011.

1. Ichi42go

Okay! Hi. I really don't know what is possessing me to post this other than it's late, I've been reading a lot of threads, and it occurred to me that ever since the whole gay rights movement in my state... (YES! VERMONT IS A STATE! I have met so many people who asked what state Vermont was in, and one person in response to me saying that I'm from Vermont, welcomed me to America because they thought I was Canadian :dry:slight_smile:. Anyway, what I want to say here is that I am experiencing crazy Twilight-Zone thing here because in my school, the straight kids have all gone crazy.

Alright, so, in my school, apparently, because we are Vermonters and gay-marriage has officially been legalized here, a lot of kids came out of the closet all caught up in hype, and now my school is full of students who are suddenly realizing they are straight, and are backing themselves back into wherever they came from, because they certainly weren't in the closet. Now, this has created an interesting dilemma at my school; gay kids have to PROVE it :roflmao:. I mean it. Here, for some crazy reason, nobody will believe you are gay because you say it; everyone is speculative whenever a kid comes out now.

It's because in my school, it is entirely accepted to be gay, and a lot of kids had some form of identity crisis, and in an attempt to re-create their image, or get some attention, or to try to make themselves seem more interesting without the fear of being ridiculed, a lot of kids decided they were gay (and I do believe they thought they were at the time because of band-wagon affect and normal curiosity, and some came out with their friends who really were trying to be "supportive"), but now, a lot of them are regretting saying it because they realized it's not true, and they are having a heck of a time convincing people they aren't now.

Now, this is where the twilight-zoney weird thing is; it's still not safe for a person who is really closeted to come out because people no longer believe them! I know a couple closeted kids (me for instance) who just don't bother now because coming out will change nothing, but there are going to be the kids who don't believe them and call them confused or needy for attention. And now, closeted kids are questioning of they are actually gay before they come out! (Thought process: I think I might be gay... I'm afraid I might be gay... Okay, I'm gay... I'm gonna come out of the closet... wait! that kid wasn't gay!?!?!.... I think I might be gay.... Lather, rinse, repeat)

It's really weird, but honestly, it is getting amusing. It is like the baby-boom for the gay-rights movement, but since the battle was won and marriage is legalized, suddenly a lot of straight kids are "coming out of the closet" in the opposite direction, and they are finding that having they are getting more chastised for admitting they are straight than they did when they came out as gay:eusa_liar. Any thoughts from anybody? Because in all honestly, the only word that comes to mind is "facepalm". Or are there any strange situations in other parts of the world that are just as weird as this? I'm curious, because sometimes, I feel special and like those other kids are just wanna-be's. Genuine article here baby!:sunglasses:

2. higby442

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Haha thats so true-I recently lived in New Hampshire, right on the border of Vermont and I know exactly what you mean. And yeah, some people dont know New Hampshire is a state as well....The funny thing is, New Hampshire, though so close to VT is a totally different place in my experience-much more conservative with some obvious exceptions though.

I have some freinds who are gay that live in VT and they tell me the same exact stuff you just posted. I will never understand the wanna be's in this situation. I mean, I am proud and out and all that, but it took me a while to get there and I cant imagine coming out and having to prove it!

Thanks for the interesting post-I think its definitely a VT thing, but maybe in other places too that have won the marriage battle-but I dont think anyplace else is quite the same as VT-they have been a liberal place for a long long time-thats what I love about "Groovy Uvey"

3. Lady Gaga

Lady Gaga Guest

Thinking Vermont is a place in Canada is just as stupid as when people think Canada is a state in the US.

4. Ichi42go

Ha, yeah. I love it here. It's better than cable because you see all the stuff ON cable and are like.... ugh.... things are different here...

Nearest mall: Travel to the next state and drive 30 minutes.
    Cheerleaders in my school: Unpopular among the student body and not all that special.
    Band kids in my school: We rule, we are everywhere, and stay OUT of our way (!)
    Views: WE CAN SEE NEW YORK FROM OUR HOUSE!!!!..... :dry:
    Gay kids: Come out come out wherever you are!!!
    Straight Kids: A good portion are so accepting some of them would probably go through an orientation-change operation. :grin:

It's all strange, but, in the end, it's still not safe to come out unless you are 100% positive you like people with the same parts as you. Not to mention... I've always wanted one of my friends to do the following: :eek: followed by (*hug*)

The best I've gotten so far was an "oooooh..." and then, "you sure?", and then "Okay, why did you take this long to say it?"

5. Johnnieguy

Who is dumb enough to think Vermont is anything other than a state? I'm sorry, but that is 5th grade geography....

6. Meropspusillus

You think Vermont has it bad? "WAIT!? There is a NEW Mexico?"

7. NoPlanB

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I once told my friend that I lived in Vermont as a child and he asked me what state it was in. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

8. RedState

Vermont...isn't that somewhere in California?

9. IrishJ

4th graders learn state geography here. What a great time to be in h/s in Vermont. Cannot even imagine what h/s would have been like almost 40 years ago in an environment when students would even mention the word "gay" Heard the word "faggot" alot. Enjoy your dilemma, so nice to hear that there is something going on in h/s other than all the negative crapola. Sure do make good syrup up there, enjoy the spring mud.

10. steel03

Montpelier is the smallest state capitol. Fun fact. Number two is Pierre, my birth city.

11. Revan

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I love how this topic has evolved from children coming out but then coming back in, to discussions of what states are actually states. Interesting though, I kinda wish posers wouldn't do this, it's difficult enough for most gay youth to come out, for straight youth to say they're gay...it's kind of frustrating to be honest.....v.v but oh well....to each their own :S