1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Do you know any...

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by mnguy, Jan 2, 2011.

1. mnguy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Do you know any men or women who might very well be gay or lesbian yet they date/marry people of the opposite gender? Maybe it's not as common for the younger generation, but with people of my age and older it seems to happen quite a bit. People continuing to do this prevents an accurate count of gay people. True, I'm not out, but isn't it better to do that than to bamboozle a woman/guy into a false relationship just to conform to society's expectations? :dry:

2. straal1972

Hey mnguy. In my own case I didn't realize that I was gay until recently. I did the whole dating, marrying and having kids thing. All before I fully realized that I was trying to live up to a stereotype. Yes this may have screwed up the census takers, but oh well, it happens. I'm working on being proud to be counted in.

3. mnguy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Let me clarify. My thought on this is about people who know they are gay or who don't understand why other guys are so into women yet they go ahead and get into those relationships and marriage. I'm not thinking of people who get married before realizing they're gay.

Strall, I'm glad you're moving forward and I imagine that your coming out was very hard. (*hug*)

I wanted to talk about this since there are people out there who know they're gay (I think I've known some), yet they knowingly choose to start and get deep into opposite gender relationships. If you know someone or you've done this, I'm just curious how they/you decided to do that instead of staying single. It seems like more people who know they're gay and don't come out, pick the relationship path instead of staying single and I'm just curious why.

My experience: I'm single and yes it rather sucks, but it has been bearable. It seems a lot easier and kinder than faking it with a woman.

4. Lady Gaga

Lady Gaga Guest

I have never even heard of someone faking it, when they knew they were gay in real life.

5. Lexington

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I know two guys who are roughly 25-30, and they both set off my gaydar something fierce. However, they both say they're straight, and I know at least one of them was dating a woman for awhile (not sure if he still is). Do I think they're heavily closeted? Nah. I just assume they've got that "gay vibe". They certainly don't have any problem having gay friends (like me). They neither try to cozy up to me to "find out what it's like", nor do they distance themselves from me. I just assume they're being honest - they're somewhat gay-acting straight guys. :slight_smile:

Lex

6. Paper Heart

I have LISTS of guys that are gay/bi but closeted. I tend to flirt with them a bit, just to tease them, which sounds bitchy but I think of it as good fun, and opens me as a possible gay mentor to them.

7. TheWanderer

I did for like 6 years. 4 of them I wasn't to sure and the other two I was afraid to admit it.

8. concklin

This doesn't quite fit but I know a guy who is bi, not out (not like he needs to be anyway) and is dating a girl. Which is no big deal, except for the fact he's secretly cruising for guys on the internet.

He goes to my college but I also went to high school with him. Me, and anyone else who knew him thought he was gay upon first meeting him.

9. malachite

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I know a few who were/are married and I get blip on my gay-dar

10. Ben

Ben

I know a guy who knows he's gay and has been in a relationship with a girl for ages.
    He's done sexual things with this guy I know. Scandalous!

11. maverick

^ I think guys like this are responsible for a LOT of negative stereotypes about gay people. Because of a few people who act downlow, the rest of us get painted with the "slutty two-faced seducer" brush.

I don't like it. :dry:

12. mnguy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I was thinking more about this and I had two thoughts.

-- There is a lack of education about human sexuality in public schools. I don't recall sexuality being explained even in basic terms in health/sex ed classes. It seems so simple to explain that some people are attracted to others of the same gender, some to both, and some to opposite and give the names to each type and that it's unknown exactly why, but they are all normal for each person. If I had learned this in 6th grade or even 9th grade, I would have understood my wanting to be friends with certain guys for what it really was.

-- It seems society values conformity over honesty, especially in terms of sexuality.