1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Are gays a hot current events topic, or just dramatically trendy?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by maverick, Jan 3, 2011.

1. maverick

I was really impressed with the amount of gay visibility in Glee. I have never seen anyone come out in a television show before, and never in such a heartwarming and sincere manner (though I'd heard about the whole Ellen thing).

Now I read in another thread that there has also been a coming out on Pretty Little Liars.

So it's got me wondering...so what's up with all the gays in TV shows lately? Is capitalization on the whole gay youth suicide tragedy? Is the "liberal media" pushing gays in entertainment to promote tolerance? Or are people in entertainment starting to recognize the built-in drama that comes with being closeted, and how that has the potential to serve as an emotional and character-building story arc in a TV series?

2. NickT

Mix and match.

3. Daniel

This.

It gives a dynamic story plot and can endear a character.

Also, it isn't 20 years ago. In the 90's you would not see a homosexual relationship on television, and rarely a serious homosexual character. Even Will & Grace removed the need for homosexual relations, as Will & Grace were a male-female duo, similar with Jack & Karen.

Major networks can "push the boundaries" with more 'racy' topics. As Western society is growing more accepting, networks are realizing that to grasp a broader audience, they need to have a broader character list. An example is Grey's Anatomy, where you have a racially diverse group, a homosexual relationship, and at various times, multi-racial couples.

You however do have a strong point. Homosexuality is becoming a large focal point in the media. With the gradual movement towards same-sex marriage and the removal of DADT the GLBT rights movement is a powerful force. Popular shows would be crazy NOT to take advantage of the topic.

4. Allecto

There were gay characters on TV before Glee. For example, Buffy had Willow and Tara (and I probably wouldn't have been able to figure out my sexuality if it weren't for them), and that's just the most well-known example.

5. secretstache09

I tend to believe that it has a little to do with progression and a lot to do with money.

Gays are some of the most loyal people when it comes to what they like in entertainment. When shows like Glee or artists like Lady Gaga embrace us, we return the favor by supporting them because we want to see them successful. Now I'm not saying that they are using us for our money, but as a business person, you'd be a fool not to embrace a group as loyal as the gay community.

6. EWU2012

7. secretstache09

Yea cool read, but I had to go down to the comments on that story, and the first one I see reads:

"If homosexuality were not a choice straight prisoners would perform gay acts in prison. Being gay is just another chosen perversion like drug abuse or pedophilia. In fact a lot of gays commit all three."

The person also put:

"Here's the deal. America is a democracy. In a democracy the majority decides. At least 95% of America is straight, hence we decide. The need of the many outweigh the needs of the few. If you don't like it move to France or San Francisco."

Absolutely amazing. Sometimes EC makes me forget how stupid and ignorant people really are about this issue.

8. NoPlanB

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    *facepalm*

San Francisco is in America. >_>

9. secretstache09

You know, I hate that I even quoted that tard. After reading it again, its painfully clear that he is trolling. I apologize that I helped you guys read that idiot's comments.

10. partietraumatic

maybe it's the difference between British and American television, but i have seen loads of gay characters in shows...

11. LostandFound

LostandFound Guest

It might just be because I'm gay myself, but I find gay characters really interesting. They're something different, going through things I haven't really seen on television.

I like too how it's moving away from really stereotypical stuff. I thought that a few years ago all the gays on television were there because they were comically gay, like it was funny that a guy was really into fashion. I find that shows nowadays aren't really like that.

12. maverick

^ This is kind of my take too. I've been aware of gays on TV for a long time, but in most cases through the gays were/are a comic stock character. And that's cool, because I do happen to think gays are pretty witty in general, but I find the new "coming out" characters in TV to be a much more humanizing look at homosexuals than in the past.

I mean, Jack from Will and Grace is a hilarious character, don't get me wrong, but how many struggling people in the GLBTQ community can actually relate to him?

I think most gays in TV and the movies have been for the benefit of the straights, and that's starting to change. I just don't know whether it's because gays are more visible now and are being accepted as a legitimate demographic with powerful buying power, or if writers are naturally sympathetic towards gays and are taking advantage of changing societal ideas about homosexuality, or if it's because the controversy itself sells TV shows.

How many watercooler conversations have gone down about Kurt coming out on Glee, and Emily coming out on Pretty Little Liars? Lots of people watch these shows, and they're geared towards families, and they're on major networks. And while Kurt is a comic character in Glee, his coming out with his father was taken very seriously and was done in a loving, compassionate way.

I'm just impressed with the "new" depiction of gay youth in TV these days, hopefully it'll give these kids some positive role models.

13. LostandFound

LostandFound Guest

I think that's quite a good point. It seems like Jack from Will & Grace was put there to make straight people laugh. It seems like Kurt from Glee was put there not necessarily for struggling homosexuals but because his experience is an experience shared by many high school students and in a show about high school students it makes sense to have him in there.

It's probably a little of all three. I think shows gain a lot of credibility by touching on these issues in a sympathetic way. A gay character like Kurt is something new and adds an element of drama that hasn't really been explored much before in mainstream television, that of the actual life experience of gay people (as opposed to sit-coms). I think this new element can be attractive to people and make the show a little edgier.

14. malachite

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    on one hand I do think the gay life style, or at least what people think is the gay life style, is the new trend.

There have been a few shows in the past few years that have had gay characters on them, and I think its a good way to get people used to the idea that gay people are around, and all the shit they go through just to be who they are.

Degrassi has had 2 gay guys on it Adamo and Riley. Both dealing with coming out. I remeber the first episode dealing him with Adamo it spooked me to see this kid going through exactly what I did when I was first discovering myself