1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

so i got a speeding ticket a few days ago

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by ok455, Oct 12, 2007.

1. ok455

I was issued a ticket a few months ago I missed my court date due to working. I didn't realize it until i got a failure to appear in court and it stated that there was a warrent out for my arrest. I got scared and have not followed up on what i need to do. I need to know what i can do and if i go to the court house to pay my fines will i be locked up? i'm very scared. Everyone said don't hire an attorney because they are ripoffs. Will i get locked up for not appearing in court? or will a police come to my house?

My aunt said something about when i pay the ticket i will have to sit in a room for a few hours.

2. Levi

Levi Guest

Get in contact with the court house as soon as possible and explain you missed the appointement. If there is any form of free legal help or gouverment sponsored legal help then why not hear what they have to say? im not qualified to answer this question however.. im not a lawayer nor do i have any expertice in the matter. *hugs* ill send though.

3. ok455

I will have to call monday and see whats going on they closed at 5

Thanks for the advice i really appreciate it

I meant to put a few months ago

4. panda

I doubt that they will come to arrest you over the weekend unless you live in a small town in N.D.However they will arrest you if you get stopped over the weekend for a traffic violation.
    I was once arrested for parking tickets($500) after being stopped for speeding.I spent a night in jail and the following morning,strip-searched,given prison blues and put on the "Range" with guys like Rocky and Gino and Killer before I got bailed out.
    Mostly I wouldn't worry most courts are very understanding and when you pay the fine on Monday every thing will be O.K. Don't Worry.Be Happy.

5. Bryan

Um, if there was a warrant out for my arrest I would get an attorney and go with that attorney to the courthouse

6. Jim1454

Um, ya. All those people that said lawyers were a rip off - do they have warrants out for THEIR arrest?!?!?

7. Jerr

Yeah... I should have gotten a speeding ticket seeing how yesterday I was going 70 in a 45... and I passed a sheriff and I was going 85 in a 65... and passed a sheriff... and then another... don't know the speeds but I know I passed him. lol

I was in a rush... the first time... the other times well... it is a bypass... it is the same road for like miles so... duh 65 is not fast enough! I usually push 90... not that fast but I'm in an effen Blazer... not exactly meant for top speed maneuvering.

8. Ilayis

Ilayis Guest

Yeah,attorneys aren't ripoffs,and you can get a public defender,only if your brought to court on the warrant i think.They will be looking for you!

9. Paul_UK

Paul_UK Guest

I agree (though I am no legal expert and not even in the same country). Contact them first thing Monday, explain and offer to go there and pay straight away. They may have a go at you for not contacting them sooner, but once you have paid the fine (and maybe a late payment penalty) that will probably be the end of it.

You say it was a few months ago. If it was a big deal and there was a warrant for your arrest I'm sure you would have been found and arrested ages ago. They know where you live and probably where you work, so could have got you if they wanted to.

If something like this happens again though I would advise you to contact them as soon as possible, and not put it off for ages.

10. ok455

Well i got pull over a few months ago and i through the ticket said court nov 10 and it was October 10. And i got the warn out friday.

Thanks i hope i can pay it and move on with life.Do you think i can pay the ticket and not go to court?

11. Paul_UK

Paul_UK Guest

It sounds like an honest mistake to me. You got the date wrong, they sent you a warning Friday and you will be contacting them as soon as you can after that, which is Monday morning. I'm sure that happens a lot. Phoning straight away is the right thing to do.

I don't know the situation in your country (in fact I don't even know what country you are in as you don't have it in your profile) but the best thing to do would be to contact them and ask.

In the UK we have a fixed penalty system which applies to speeding if it is not excessive. We just pay the fine and send off the driving licence to have the points added - no need to go to court unless we want to appeal. For more serious speeding (like doing over 100 in a 70 limit) we do have to go court.

It is not worthwhile them taking every minor speeding offender to court as the cost would be excessive. So there may well be a system where you can accept the penalty and pay the fine without going to court.

If it does have to go to court, find out if you can plead guilty by letter. Then you don't have to attend, the judge will set the fine and it will all be over quickly.

The best thing to do is to call them, explain the situation, apologise for missing the hearing, and ask them.

Also is there a free legal advice service in your country? In the UK we have the Citizens Advice Bureau which is a charity that can advise on legal matters, debt etc. If you have something similar in your country, give them a call and ask.

12. gabriel1

gabriel1 Guest

Just call the court, (there should be a number somewhere on the ticket) and tell them what happened and that you will be mailing in the payment. In WI, the only reason you would go to court on that date on the ticket, is to dispute the ticket, otherwise you just mail in the payment. Did you plan on disputing this ticket, hence the court date? If not just mail the payment in or go in person to see if it will clear up faster. The longer you wait, the more it is going to aggrevate you.