1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Queensland Floods

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by tomahto72, Jan 11, 2011.

1. tomahto72

tomahto72 Guest

Some people may not have received any of this news yet but Queensland's South East Corridor is suffering from the worst rain and flooding since the big '74 floods. Couple that with other remote communities in northern Queensland and you get a flooded disaster zone the size of France....and Germany . My house is not flooded but I many of my friends have been forced to evacuate their homes as the flood waters rise. There will be little reprieve as Wivenhoe Dam (the dam that has safeguarded us from these natural catastrophes after '74) is now at dangerous levels (190% capacity) and water rushing from the spillway is being measured in Sydney Harbour's.

This event has exhausted me and my friends who were involved in providing sandbags to Brisbanites. If you are Australian please remember to donate to the Premier's Flood Appeal. If you want to know more go to Ten News' youtube page where you can find out more about this. Premier Anna Bligh has been able to describe accurately how we feel, "It might be breaking our hearts at the moment but it will not break our will". My thoughts and well wishes go out to all those affected by the floods, especially EC members that may be affected.

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mTpvnQx_UTg[/YOUTUBE]

2. Pseudojim

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    i'm sad to say it's only going to get worse over the coming days, too.

3. mnguy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I'm so sad for all the people impacted by this. It's so devastating. :frowning2: I'm hoping for the rain to stop and a speedy recovery.

4. Aiken

The worst will be today and Thursday. Hopefully the flood will recede soon after, but that seems unlikely until the weekends.

I personally am not affected, as of yet, but my suburb is on the list and am taking precautions. I really wished that I could have volunteered to help out. =/

5. Porphyrogenitus

The sun was out today for the first time in a while, so hopefully the worst of the rain is done... but the major flooding in Brisbane is more because of the releases from Wivenhoe, and there's nothing that can be done about that.

My house isn't going to be affected either, thankfully :slight_smile:

6. straal1972

My heart goes out to you all. I get periodic flooding in my basement in the spring. I'm not making light of your situation at all. I know how much damage even a little water can do. To have that much, is mind boggling. All i can offer is sympathies and hope that things can clear up, dry up quickly.