1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Does it offend you when someone says they don't believe in homosexuals?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Hotspot, Jan 11, 2011.

1. Hotspot

Does it offend you when someone says they don't believe in homosexuals? Or if they hate homosexuals or do not agree with homosexuality?

Do you think it should offend someone if a person says they do not believe or agree with homosexuality, or hate homosexuals?
    Or because it's an opinion, it shouldn't offend you?

2. MMAnick

I'm not sure if this offends me but I do know that it hurts me. Im not one to get hurt easily but this is one thing that does. I think It might be because no one knows that Im bi so when it's said I cant defend myself without raising a few eyebrows as to why I would care.

3. Phoenix

Phoenix Guest

I've never had anyone say they don't believe in homosexuals. I mean, I don't see how anyone could not believe in homosexuals, it's not like they're like Santa Claus, there's concrete proof of their existence. But it doesn't bother me if people don't agree with being gay. It's when they act as if this gives them the right to tell others how to live where I have a problem.

4. RAJ Aladdin

RAJ Aladdin Guest

It pisses me off when straight people AND gay people say they don't believe bisexuality.

5. Echidna1

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    i'm only offended when straight guys i know say its okay for women to be homosexual but not for men because it disgusts them.

6. Nomad187

If I were in that position I would say I don't believe in idiots therefor I don't believe in them

and I have had people say that to me but I don't get hurt by people like that. I put very little value into the words of others

7. Jonathan

Whether or not statements like that hurt me depends on the person saying them. If it is just some random person that I dont know, well then I dont really care about their opinion. But if it's someone in my family (my parents are divorced and my dad's side constantly makes fun of/insults gay people) it hurts a lot :frowning2:

8. Beachboi92

I think we should alter it to responding with "well i can say i don't believe in idiots yet here you stand"

and yes i become offended in the way that ignorance offends me (i have a pet peeve for people talking about things that they don't understand). I would probably end up getting in a long discussion with someone like this until i have changed their mind. Unless of course they are fanatical about it in which case i'd use wit to make fun of them until they left.

9. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm not offended if someone says they "don't believe in homosexuals."

It's about as sensible as saying "I don't believe in Asians" or "I don't believe in grandparents" or "I don't believe in brown-haired people."

So... I just feel sorry for them :slight_smile:

10. Steve

Born in australia, but now living some where else
    homosexuality is not something you can beleive or not.

when 2 wo/men are in a sexual/dating relationship that itself is A homosexual relationship. So on that basis homosexuality does exist.

When some one says it dosnt exist do i get angry no.
    would you get angry if i told the sun does not exist, i bet you , you wont.

You know for a fact that it does exist and everyone has the right to think what they want. Do i get angry when people say its dirty, I dont get angry sometimes I ger hurt but only on rare occasion.

But, just so you know getting upset is a choice!
    Now for people who are going to say its not a choice think about it this way.

You can either get offended and start whining about it , you can take it in say okay and move on. Thats what I beleive in. I know it can be hard but hey you cant change my mind.

11. Filip

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm only very rarely offended, and almost never by opinions. That doesn't mean I don't think that some opinions are objectively wrong, though. Just that I either decide not to bother, or to try and enlighten people out of their ignorance.

And, I do think it's possible not to believe in homosexuality. There are aparently people who believe that, just like a depressed person is usually able to be cured of depression to expose the healthy core underneath, so are gay people able to be cured to expose the fundamentally straight person underneath. Though usually they take the more provocative: "homosexuality is a mental affliction" angle.

12. Black Cat

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Am I offended? No.

Am I baffled by their stupidity (well, okay, so everyone is entitled to believe in whatever they so choose…. But just try to convince me that these people don’t end up looking like total boneheads when they make a statement like that)? Yes.

It’s like not believing in air or something. Just because you can’t understand something doesn’t mean it doesn’t exist.

13. Zontar

I get more vexed by people who insist on perpetuating bisexual erasure. To me, that leaves a bisexual with no accepting community to turn to...to straight people, they don't belong and to gay people they don't belong either. It puts a lot of pressure on the bisexual to "choose" one or the other when that's not really best for them.

14. biisme

This.

I hate when people tell me that they don't believe in bisexuality. I'm not asking them to be bisexual themselves, or even to understand how I feel. I'm asking them to trust that I know what I am feeling. By telling me that it doesn't exist, they are telling me that what I feel and what I know about myself isn't true. I would not presume to tell someone else what they feel, and if I tell people I like both genders, I'd like the same courtesy from them.

I'm not asking them to believe it; I am asking them to believe me.

15. straal1972

LOL, hmmm a gay Santa Clause, all those elves....

16. Darkwing65

I'm not sure if it would offend me. It would, however, get me riled up. I don't like ignorance.

17. Mystery

It doesn't offend me so much. I find it funny actually. It just shows how stupid the person saying it really is. How convenient that a group of people you dislike can be perceived as NOT REAL lol.

18. Brandford

No, I find I pity stupidity and ignorance more than become angered by it

19. Lexington

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    No more than I get angry when they say they don't believe in the Holocaust, or radar guns, or the internet. It just shows they're not very intelligent, or extremely selective in what they choose to process. Either way, I doubt I'll be able to change their minds.

Lex

20. roybaby

Out Status:
    A few people
    yes it bothers me a lot.since I have repressed my gayness most of my life these words make me feel bad and inferior sometimes.

#20 roybaby, Jan 12, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 12, 2011