1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

LTRs and new sparks

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by liszak, Oct 15, 2007.

1. liszak

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Let's say you're happily in a long-term relationship when you meet a new friend w/ whom you feel an immediate spark. What would you do then? Would you cut things off pre-emptively w/ the new friend because you identified the potential problems that might ignite as you got closer? Or would you just keep it in mind but keep developing the friendship? Or something else? And what would you do if you were the "new friend" and you felt the spark too but knew that the other person was involved in a long-term relationship?

I just saw an episode of a show where these two people -- one coupled, one not -- meet each other, and there's immediate chemistry. They start talking about some painful experiences that they have in common, and so they connect on that level. Then they run into each other randomly a few times. Then they realize they have a couple shared acquaintances and hang out in the same group a few times. Then they decide to get together for lunch once or twice -- seemingly harmless, right? But one day, the coupled person has a fight w/ his partner, and so who does he turn to? The immediate-chemistry person, of course. And then they end up sleeping w/ each other.

The whole time I was watching their relationship develop, it was completely obvious to me where it was going. I knew it; they knew it; everyone knew it, and everyone knew it for a long, long time -- maybe even from day 1 -- but no one did anything to stop it. And I was so angry at both of them for letting it happen.

I want to say that both of them should have realized very early on where it was going and acted right then to prevent the situation from panning out the way it did. But is that realistic or fair in real life? Are coupled people not allowed to be friends w/ anyone that they might feel a spark w/? And what responsibility do single people have in not getting too close to coupled people w/ whom they feel the spark?

2. Ilayis

Ilayis Guest

single people,if they feel that spark with someone that is in a relationship with someone you know,should just keep it to themselves and never act upon it.

3. step49x

I agree with the above. If someone is in a relationship, you certainly shouldn't be sleeping with them.

I can certainly see this being a realistic situation in real life. I'd hope that everyone involved would have the self control not to act on any urges outside of the relationship. I don't think it's a problem if you become friends with someone who's in a relationship, I'd just make sure you'd keep it at that. Relationships can be wonderful things. You don't want to go around damaging them (at least, i hope you don't).

I think both the people in the relationship and those that are single have a responsibility to do whatever is best for the relationship. If one person thinks their partner is cheating on them, than things can get ugly.