1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Religion Poll

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Proud1p4, Feb 17, 2006.

?

State your religion

1. Christian

41.3%
  2. Catholic

4.3%
  3. Other Catholic Religion Branches (ie: United, Trinity, etc.)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Buddhist

2.2%
  5. Jewish

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. Musilim

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. Athiest

26.1%
  8. Other (specify)

26.1%
  1. Proud1p4

Proud1p4 Guest

Hey guyz i'm putting up this poll just out of curiousity in where the majority of the gay community is distributed when it comes to religion...please post your name and choice even after your have voted...it already will display who you are and what you voted for but just be a little social and post lol...anyway...myself...i'm a Wiccan...which i think (not 100% sure) is a branch off of Paganism....correct me if i'm wrong...anyway...i used to be a christian but got tired of the bullshit against gays...never reaally believed in that religion anyway...i always had my questions....anyway (i gotta stop saying anyway lol) this purely fun...and no bashing or trying to sway people from their beliefs...and if you want to dicuss in depth start a new thread...cuz' dicussion could turn into arguement...and i don't want that happening on my watch:eusa_naug

#1 Proud1p4, Feb 17, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 17, 2006
  2. chrisg

Christian--and I don't think that Christianity is against gays. It's just fools like Pat Robertson who make it that way. :biggrin: Seriously, one of the main messages of Jesus Christ was tolerance, and I think that living a Christlike life includes being tolerant of others; consequently, anyone who is intolerant toward gays is performing one of the least Christian acts possible.

#2 chrisg, Feb 17, 2006
    Last edited: Feb 17, 2006
  3. Micah

True, however there is a difference between tolerating something and believing it is the right thing.

4. Paul_UK

Paul_UK Guest

I chose "Other". I do believe in some sort of spirituality and after-live, but I do not associate my beliefs with any of the organised religions.

5. goratrix

I chose 'Other', since I don't believe in religion. And I think pulsatory theory is more likely, since everything we know has cycles, why wouldn't the universe itself have cycles?

Anyway, Religion sucks, and religions is one of the causes (and a great consequence) of everything that's wrong in the world.

BTW: I'm not atheist either, I do believe that there is something else that we can't explain, but nothing like the 'GOD' or gods that religions describe... it's something closer to TAO or something.

6. Proud1p4

Proud1p4 Guest

Hey guyz & girls...me again...i just wanted to say for future reference that when i said "Athiest"....i didn't mean you have no thoughts about a greater being or even an idea of whats out there or after life...i ment that if you aren't a follower of a constitutionalized/valid religion...the "Other" option was put there for any that i may have forgotten or some of the less-popular religions (no offense but it's fact) such as Pagans, Sadists, etc...i apoligise for my over-generalization and the confusion...many thanks and much love.:smilewave

#6 Proud1p4, Feb 18, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 19, 2006
  7. joeyconnick

joeyconnick Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Atheist means, specifically, "does not believe in a god or gods/higher power(s)/divinities/etc." What you're describing is more along the lines of an agnostic, someone who is not sure of the existence of the divine.

Merriam-Webster's definition of "atheist" (which is bad because it's a monotheistic definition but oh well)

M-W's defn of "agnostic" (again, super Judeo-Christian and monotheistic *sigh*)

"a" meaning "without" (as in amoral [being without morality])
    "theist" meaning one who has/believes in god(s)/divine (same root as theology)

8. Proud1p4

Proud1p4 Guest

Yes sorry for the misuse of the term Athiest...feel really stupid now...i knew the term agnostic even while i was making the poll and feel really, really stupid:icon_redf ....again sorry that i screwed up a perfectly good poll

9. joeyconnick

joeyconnick Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hey don't beat yourself up over it! I'm just a word nerd.

10. Proud1p4

Proud1p4 Guest

me...yes i know....again...well i got nothing better to do rather than bore myself with homework so i come here insted...well how are things looking in the poll...well not much activity but i hope that'll change...so far "other" is winning...by two votes over christianity...yeah i'm just posting basically because my social life is non-existant in the winter:astonished: ...hehe...well i think i better get at that homework....ugg...see ya people...

11. nisomer

buddhist...kinda...i mean my grandparents are buddhist and we sometimes practice with them...beside that i guess i could fit in the "other" section...lol

12. joeyconnick

joeyconnick Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm "spiritual" which I know sounds like a New Age cop-out but really it's that I believe in stuff that's "bigger" than me but I've never really put any effort into sorting it into a specific theology. My beliefs are definitely NOT Judeo-Christian or at all monotheistic. I tend to gravitate most towards polytheistic practices like the Greek gods or Hinduism, so I guess I'm a very uninformed, non-practicing neo-pagan.

13. chrisg

That's certainly correct, but let's keep in mind that Jesus said nothing to suggest an exclusively male-female relationship in marriage.

14. Proud1p4

Proud1p4 Guest

Well i'm not christian/catholic/united etc. but i know alot of my friends are and church doctren (spelling?) says that homosexuality is a sin (thats why i'm not under that stupid umbrella....no offense to any who are)...the pope or w/e that old guy's name is says that homosexuality is a disorder and a sin. And sorry and no offense to anyone who says "yeah well god loves me for who i am cuz thats what it says in the bible"....umm....so what? it also says it's a sin to commit a homosexual act (a little muddier than that but still undeniably there)...you can't pick and choose so that it suits you best...it's a package deal....you can't say i like this, this and this but i'll choose to ignore that...sorry but a religion is a religion...the pope's the head honcho and says no so it's a no...i'm not trying to start an arguement but i've heard the whole pick-and-choose thing alot around this forum and i just had to get it out there...i'm not trying to convert anyone or drive them away from the catholic umbrella...but this is how it is...sorry if i offended anyone but surely i'm not the only one who thinks this...but catholic/united/christian faith and homosexuality mix about as well as alcohol and driving...

15. imad

You have a very good point, proud_2b_gay. The funny thing, though, is that the people who say that Christianity denounces homosexuality as a sin are selectively choosing from the bible. The Old Testament is the only place in the bible where homosexuality is even mentioned (as chrisg said, Jesus never talked about it), and there are many funny things in the Old Testament...

One passage I remember reading talks about how God likes the smell of a burning bull, and it details the way to present it on the altar as you burn the animal. There are many other sacrificial rituals listed in the Old Testament. Here is an example (the rest of the passage can be found here):

And he brought the bullock for the sin offering: and Aaron and his sons laid their hands upon the head of the bullock for the sin offering.

And he slew it; and Moses took the blood, and put it upon the horns of the altar round about with his finger, and purified the altar, and poured the blood at the bottom of the altar, and sanctified it, to make reconciliation upon it.

And he took all the fat that was upon the inwards, and the caul above the liver, and the two kidneys, and their fat, and Moses burned it upon the altar.

But the bullock, and his hide, his flesh, and his dung, he burnt with fire without the camp; as the LORD commanded Moses.

And he brought the ram for the burnt offering: and Aaron and his sons laid their hands upon the head of the ram.

And he killed it; and Moses sprinkled the blood upon the altar round about.

And he cut the ram into pieces; and Moses burnt the head, and the pieces, and the fat.

And he washed the inwards and the legs in water; and Moses burnt the whole ram upon the altar: it was a burnt sacrifice for a sweet savour, and an offering made by fire unto the LORD; as the LORD commanded Moses.

And he brought the other ram, the ram of consecration: and Aaron and his sons laid their hands upon the head of the ram.

And he slew it; and Moses took of the blood of it, and put it upon the tip of Aaron's right ear, and upon the thumb of his right hand, and upon the great toe of his right foot.

And he brought Aaron's sons, and Moses put of the blood upon the tip of their right ear, and upon the thumbs of their right hands, and upon the great toes of their right feet: and Moses sprinkled the blood upon the altar round about.

So, why don't we kill animals and play around with their blood? How can a source that even mentions something like this be cited in order to prove that homosexuality is wrong? The only people that are selectively excluding parts of the bible are the people that use it to call us sinners.

Christianity comes from Jesus' teachings, from the New Testament. I'm guessing that the Old Testament is there for the stories that are in it, the ones told to children to convey morals. For Christians, the New Testament is there for religious guidance. (someone correct me if I'm wrong, because I have nothing to prove this idea other than memory)

In any case, all of this doesn't matter to me because I'm agnostic. :biggrin:

16. joeyconnick

joeyconnick Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    doctrine

Just thought I'd be helpful.

17. chrisg

Let's be careful saying "christian/catholic/united" because there are many Christians who do not follow the Pope and who reject the authority of the Pope. He is only the leader to the Catholic faith, while other denominations choose not to accept such a hierarchy.

The alleged passage that homosexuality is a sin is not "undeniably there" in the Bible but requires a great deal of crafty interpretation. A site that I like to visit is http://www.religioustolerance.org/, which includes interpretations of the Bible that do not denounce homosexuality--with extremely good points to back up the assertions.

And imad, I couldn't agree more; going further than that, though, Christian teachings should be taken only from the sayings of Jesus. Paul and the others were merely evangelists who interpreted the Word.

18. TriBi

Ah - I thought I had answered this - but obviously not.

Actually, my feelings are quite close to those of PaulUK. To me, "belief" is a very personal thing. I do believe in spirituality - but I am a looong way from being a fan of any sort of organised religion. I do applaud a lot of the precepts involved with Buddhism - but I am not a Buddhist.

19. hakeem_uk

hakeem_uk Guest

hi
    i voted Christian

20. lost

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I am a christian and I have spoken elsewhere about my struggle with it. But basically I can just echo what has been said above. The Old testament was written in excess of 2000 years ago and look at how society has changed since then. Only 700 years ago, we were still burning witches... Times have changed, society has changed and therefore I feel that the way that the bible and especially the old testament is interpreted should change.

I take the bible for a metaphorical sense rather than literally and I feel that that is often where religion falls down - I still uphold the core beliefs and principles of christianity, but in a much more 21st Century way.