1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Born this way blog

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by mnguy, Jan 23, 2011.

1. mnguy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I read about this site in an Advocate article http://borngaybornthisway.blogspot.com/. It's interesting to read stories of other GLBT people and see the pictures of them when they were happy carefree kids, unspoiled by the pressure to conform. So many innocent, happy smiles, unaware they would later be told that how they feel is wrong and they should change. I found this one really moving http://borngaybornthisway.blogspot.com/2011/01/john_2127.html#comments I can relate to this part of that post, "He is clearly and naturally being himself. I love him and admire him, but I don't remember him."

I don't recall wanting dolls or to dress like a girl, but I can relate to a lot of what people posted. I did play with girls at recess more than the boys (until my mom said I shouldn't so much), I liked to wear preppy, matching clothes, I always wanted to be close with the boys I thought were cute, the first one happened to look like Ricky Schroder on Silver Spoons. It's funny that several guys from my generation mention Ricky as their first famous crush. Eric Estrada was another one on TV I liked back then. Ah the memories of so long ago. :icon_wink

2. TheEdend

TheEdend Guest

My first reaction to the blog was "Oh, some blog just focusing on stereotypes" but as I read some stories and kept looking it is actually a really cool idea for a blog. Some pics are just too cute haha and the stories are fun to read. There are also people posting stories about how they weren't stereotypical but that they felt different either way.

Really cute blog overall. Now I just have the sudden urge to go through my older pictures and find one that just screams gay!

3. mnguy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Agreed. I had the same first reaction and conclusion. I don't have any pictures to look through here at my place, but I'm sure there are some where I'm happily and unwittingly showing my gay side as a little kid. :icon_wink

4. alan t

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Interesting site. I think until the age of 4 or 5 I was like that guy. I liked wearing bright colours and dancing around. I always played with the girls in school until I noticed none of the other boys did and felt like I was standing out too much.

As for the stereotypes, sometimes I feel annoyed reading people attack stereotyping (I'm not referring to any post in this thread). I understand people want to squash stereotypes (which is a good idea) but when anyone who focuses on some stereotype is criticized for doing so I feel like they're criticizing those of us who are really like that.
    What I mean is, it's true that if someone says "All gay people are like XYZ" then they are unfairly stereotyping people. But if someone just wants to talk about gay people who happen to be XYZ, then why not.
    There are gay guys who were born wanting to look stylish, or act like girls, or whatever, and what's so wrong with that? We should let people be a stereotype if that's who they are.

5. mnguy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    That's really true, Alan. The gay people who show the stereotypes are the strongest ones I think because they've often been through so much shit to get to where they are now and that really is inspiring. :slight_smile:

Reading the posts on that blog I found it interesting that most of the guys who had fun with "girly" dress/toys as kids didn't grow up to be transgender. I was under the impression that it was more related to gender identity than sexuality. I was surprised by how many people my age and older had a very good response when they came out.

6. roborama

i just checked it out sooo cute oh my goodness. now i want to go through my old pictures!!!