1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

TV vs. The Net

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by maverick, Jan 28, 2011.

1. maverick

So, it seems to me a lot of major cable channels are putting their media online for free (with advertising) so you can easily see all of your favorite television shows without actually needing a TV or cable.

Do you guys watch TV on a TV, or do you watch it online? I have cable for the first time in over a year and a half, but I still do most of my TV viewing online, where I can find back-episodes of pretty much anyone show I'd ever want to watch. At this point, I'm like, why wait for something you want to watch to come on when you can pull up anything you'd want to watch online?

I'm just curious to see to what degree people are turning to online media these days versus classic television viewing.

2. Z3ni

Z3ni Guest

Well I rather watch everything on t.v., coz its nice and cozy on the sofa xD

3. QuantumBoi

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I watch regular cable most of the time, especially if there is nothing in particular I want to watch right then. However, if I have an idea to watch something available online, like Desperate Housewives, I might turn to the awesome Hulu.

4. Zontar

I do not watch many television programs. Most of my media is consumed via the Internet and radio talk shows. When I move out, I do not plan on subscribing to either cable or DBS television.

5. Owen

In Loving Memory Full Member

In the months leading up to me leaving for college, I went from watching broadcasted television to watching the On-Demand material almost exclusively. This was the start of my giving up television, because made me lose patience for waiting for shows to air and making time to watch them. When I did leave for college, the roommate who brought the tv didn't hook it up to the cable properly, so we get about ten channels, none of which were any good. So I took to the internet, my studies, and my newly expanded social life to occupy my new surplus of free time. The rest is history.

A year and a half later, I don't miss TV. Oh sure, when I go home, I'll watch some of my favorite shows on my parent's on demand, but at this point, the customizability of my internet experience (i.e. the fact that I choose exactly what I want to experience, and there is much more diverse media to chose from), combined with the fact that everything on here is available when I ask for it has soured me to tv permanently. I don't even seek out episodes of tv online anymore due simply to the fact that I don't find many tv shows to be worth watching these days.

6. roborama

still with a tv, not suprising though. just got a omputer this year and i listen to records, like the big black things that nobody knows how to play ahaha soooo yeah

7. starfish

I canceled my cable TV service a year ago.

I still do all my TV watching on my TV. I have a PS3 that I use to watch Netflix on demand. I use a TiVo to record the over the air stuff. I also have a PC attached to my TV that I use for Hulu and the torrents of Top Gear that I download. I also buy Burn Notice on iTunes and use my AppleTV to view it.

Between all of those I don't miss cable TV one bit. Best part is that I am only spening $20 a month instead of $100 a month and I get exactly what I want.

It won't belong until telephone and TV service is completely carried over the Internet. It is too expensive to maintain 4 separate physical infrastructures. Landline phone, mobile phone, TV, and Internet.

#7 starfish, Jan 28, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 28, 2011
  8. ok455

I still watch tv i like the noise and stuff i only watch foreign tv shows online.

9. Darkwing65

I'll watch T.V. occasionally, but most of my viewing happens online. Even the current shows i watch i don't catch on the air, i'll usually stream them later.

10. Black Cat

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Me too. I'm a fan of traditions, so I like sitting on the couch with my tea and a snack to waste time in front of the TV. And plus, I don't like the whole 'on demand' thing, I think getting what you want when you want it sort of spoils everyone - even when it comes to TV.

11. Beertruck

I like to sit down and watch TV. I really like the idea of every Thursday (when I'm not doing anything social) sitting down to watch Community, The Office, Parks and Rec, and 30 Rock as they come on. There's something thrilling about it being revealed to everyone all at once, isn't there?

I'm also one of those crazy people who loves to go see movies in the theater instead of at home or on my shitty laptop.

12. partietraumatic

It's useful to be able to catch up on things online if i miss them, but i still prefer the tv. It's a much more communal activity than watching something online.

But then in may aspects I am more old fashioned than alot of my friends, i prefer tv to internet, i prefer cd to downloads, i prefer the cinema to watching at home.

13. MIJ VI

MIJ VI Guest

I stopped watching TV/formulaic pap in Mar. '08.

"Television – a medium. So called because it is neither rare nor well done."
    — Ernie Kovacs

14. Idonteven

only thing I watch on TV now is sports. (go Pack!) everything else I watch is online. I like to watch what I want when I want to watch it.

15. mnguy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I'm still watching on TV. I like the surround sound system I have and haven't taken the time to figure out how to get that from my computer into the receiver. I also like to flip around the channels when commercials come on or listen to radio during them. I've watched some movies on my laptop from Netflix, but the sound is too quiet (probably my computer) and it's not as nice as up on the big TV so I prefer getting the DVDs still. I get free online use from Comcast, but haven't tried it yet so I don't know if it's any good. I also like that I can watch a show on TV, surf the net, and eat all at once :thumbsup:

16. theJosephDean

I really only watch real TV (like now) when I just want to go sit in the living room and get a change of scenery (now that we have our furniture back from our old apartment). A lot of times though, I'll have Hulu/Netflix/VLC-playing-something snapped to one side of my monitor and whatever I'm working on at the moment snapped to the other (yay for big scene). Also, it's easier to cuddle in bed to watch movies than it is on the couch :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

17. Markio

I have a personal computer but not a TV. There are TVs around my school's dorms, but people tend to be inconsiderate when someone is trying to watch TV in a public space, so I just stay in my room to watch shows.

18. TheEdend

TheEdend Guest

I do like watching TV for certain things and I use the comp for most other shows.

I just like having a set time and day when the whole family drops what they are doing and we all just watch a show together. I know, super corny, but its something that I really enjoy doing :slight_smile:

---------- Post added 30th Jan 2011 at 04:01 PM ----------

Oh and documentary channel <3

19. excuseyou77

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I prefer TV and watch TV more but watching shows online and downloading them still has its perks for me. Online/digital downloads are a great way for me to sample shows and in some instances it works out because there are certain channels, like Logo, that I don't have, so to watch their programming I go on their website.