1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

don't think her politics are worth a damn, BUT

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by RedState, Feb 2, 2011.

1. RedState

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sWS0GVOQPs0[/YOUTUBE]

Thought this made a pretty good point.

2. yeah, that's definitely a good point.

honestly, based on what I'm hearing out of the mouths of young people in my area, I think "that's so gay" is pretty much on its way out, though.

Does anyone disagree? I'm interested in hearing it.

I'm trying to figure out if the lack of hearing it around here is because of a greater acceptance of gays or if it's as simple as the swift passing of slang terms...but it's hard to tell.

3. Brad

This video is a bit old. I agree with you that it is on it's way out. I haven't heard it said in awhile.

4. maverick

I haven't heard it said since I was much younger, but it was my brothers FAVORITE insult growing up. It was his "Whatever".

I never really took offense to it though, because in context it never had anything to do with gay people. :lol:

My response was usually, "So why don't you marry it!"

5. My sister is in Junior high and I disagree that it's on it's way out. I've spent time with her and her friends and it seems like every other insult seems to be "That's gay" or "You're gay" or "stop being so faggy". They don't do it as much anymore since I pointed out that A.) It's rude and B.) I'm gay
    I think B. stopped them more since they see me as the cool older sister who will hang out with them downtown and get pizza so me being gay is "cool", but it may not stop them when I'm not around.

6. Thanks for the info, and yeah, I think the only real way to deal with it is to get the word out that people are not interested in this phrase being socially acceptable anymore.

7. Moonstrike

Moonstrike Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I dont agree that this video makes a good point.

If someone says that something is "gay" and they mean "stupid", I think that it is entirely acceptable. "Gay" has taken on another meaning and so I deem it to be a different word when it is used in a different context.
    This advert annoyed me. If she said that to me I would've talked back. Its like if someone came up to me and told me not to call myself "gay" when I mean "homosexual" because "gay means happy".

Words can mean a variety of things. "Bat", for example, can mean "something that looks like a flying rat" or "a stick of wood that you hit a ball with".

8. Lexington

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    >>>If someone says that something is "gay" and they mean "stupid", I think that it is entirely acceptable. "Gay" has taken on another meaning and so I deem it to be a different word when it is used in a different context.

I've argued with somebody recently about this self-same topic, and his argument was as yours - "I didn't mean it as in 'homosexual' - I meant it as in 'lame, weak, not desirable'." Although to muddy the waters further, he didn't use "gay" - he used the term "horribly queer" (although he added "gay" later in the discussion).

My argument against this is that the contexts aren't unrelated. People didn't start calling lame things "gay" because they equated them to happy things, or because it's short for "God Awful - Yuck". It's because they were attempting to equate them to the most undesirable thing they could. Just like we call something "shitty" because to equate it with fecal matter is to devalue it as much as possible, for many years, to equate something with homosexuality was to indicate it was horrible and undesirable.

Lex

9. Maybe to you, but try telling that to the kids who hide their sexuality because their peers at least appear to be equating homosexuality to things that are stupid and wrong.

Yes. Words can mean lots of things and meanings of words DO change but keep in mind that even if you think it means one thing doesn't mean that everyone does. This usage stems from hate even if that's not what everyone means now.

And also, teens are fond of saying "fag" and "no homo" which ARE used hurtfully as well as not. So, respectfully, I disagree with what you've said here.

10. Moonstrike

Moonstrike Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I think the fundamental question that needs to be answered is whether "gay" used in the "stupid/lame" context is STILL equated immediately to homosexuality by a majority of those who use it and those who hear it.

If I was convinced that it was immediately equated to homosexuality then I would agree with you but it has been my personal experience that it is not. I used to use it and, indeed, I think, on occasion, still do. My friends used to used to use it and I, personally, never, as far as I can remember, thought that it was used to describe something as relating to homosexuality.

What are your personal experiences?

I can see that this could be an issue for some but I dont think that it is an issue which warrents bringing an end to this use of the word. Did you feel this way about the word "gay" being used in such a way when you were in school?

I havent seen this used many times. How can it be used in a hurtful manner?

11. maverick

"No homo" just makes me laugh. And want a shirt that says, "Yes homo."

12. Moonstrike

Moonstrike Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    HAHAHA! That would be great! I demand that you make me one immediately :lol:
    It would be a good way to come out of the closet too :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

13. LOL that would be pretty awesome.

But the reality is, kids are hiding, they're hurting, they're being bullied and they're killing themselves all over the place. I think that ANY effort should be made to stop that, including getting derogatory or even seemingly derogatory language out of being socially acceptable. It's not okay to call something retarded, why is calling something gay better?

And fyi, I brushed most of this off when I was young, but some kids can't and I know that from experiences of those close to me, that's why I'm sensitive to the issue.

14. maverick

I don't brush it off at all, anti-gay remarks like "dyke" and "faggot" really bothered me in school when I was younger, especially if they came from an adult. (I still remember being crushed when my mom told me I couldn't join the football team as a kid because, "everyone would think I was a dyke." As if "dyke" was synonymous with "child molester" or "serial killer".)

I just think "no homo" makes the speaker look silly as hell since it usually follows something the person said or did that couldn't possibly be interpreted as them being gay unless they were so homophobic as to be ridiculous, a caricature of insecurity.

Like, "OMG, does this hat make me look gay?!?!"

Um, no, the fact that you're obviously obsessed with other people's perception of your sexuality makes you look gay.

#14 maverick, Feb 3, 2011
    Last edited: Feb 3, 2011
  15. TheRoof

well, some guys in my highschool called each other nigger(excuse my language), and although I am sure they aren't being serious, as I know (I think) they are simply joking around and whatever, but that doesn't mean that calling someone with N word is okay thing to do. no matter what they truly meant it to be, it still is an offensive and inflammatory word to use.
    same thing with "oh that's gay" or "no homo". Some people may just brush it off, but some people will get hurt and offended. I mean, I didn't get all upset and hurt when some people say things like that, but still it annoyed me. How does "oh that's stupid/lame" equate to "oh that's gay"? So yea, saying it's okay to say those things just because it wasn't meant to be taken serious doesn't make much sense to me.