1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Gay in Taiwan

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by ProfessorLepus, Feb 5, 2011.

1. Hey guys!

Interesting news update: I'm very likely moving to Taiwan this year. I'm wondering what life is like there for a gay expat, however, so I thought I'd ask if anyone here knew about that.

So, any tips?

2. silvousplait

silvousplait Guest

Well, I know gay life in China is rather... lol... but, Taiwan is pretty different cultural-wise than China. I am not sure how it would be. I know in China, there are many gay people but you have to find them. I don't know if I'm picky, however, but it also seems that many of them are not as attractive as homosexuals in the west. I had a relationship with a Chinese guy once and he was very clingy, but I think that is a cultural thing. They believe in China that if you are dating someone you should be commited to them and be with them nonstop. I had no life outside of that person for like 3 months, and it got to the point where I was mentally and emotionally exhausted. I am sure it is not this way for all Chinese homosexuals, and also Taiwanese homosexuals, but I have not had another experience. Then again, I haven't opened up to another experience. Also, be aware that because you're moving to an asian culture, the likelihood that they came out to anyone besides their friends is slim. I am not saying there is not the occasional homosexual that will tell their parents, but it's a very conforming society, and don't usually like people to go off on their own little tangents. I am not sure about the groups you could go to as I've never tried, but there may be groups you can join. Also, if you happen to like going to clubs, I guarantee you will find a lot of gay guys there.

3. Thanks for the tips, silvousplait. I've read that Taiwan is far more progressive than other parts of Asia when it comes to being gay, but I also know from experience the conformity in most Asian countries. My (straight) Armenian friend made me promise not to "marry a Chinaman" (his words).

I'll definitely look around. I hear Taiwan has a strong expat community, I'd be interested to see if there's a lot of LGBT involved in that.

4. endless poetry

physically in Taiwan, the gay males tend to be more camp. this comes from the tradition that the most desirable male in Chinese culture being skinny, competent in arts, pale, elegant and by extension, somewhat effeminate.

gay males are stereotyped to being hair stylists, makeup artists, clothing designers etc. (and many indeed are)

lgbt life wise there are certainly gay pubs and bars in Taipei and there is gay culture, it's just there isn't much variety in type S= Taiwan is a pretty homogenous island people wise.

I don't know about your Armenian friend but my bf (who is a Brit btw) stands me just fine S= and I'm really not that clingy so I think it is more of an individual trait thing more than a cultural trend.

Gays are typically looked down upon especially by the older generation. The topic of being gay is somewhat of a taboo... it is far more common to refer to gays by the English term "gay" or an indirect term like "brokeback" (from Ang Li's film) than the proper Chinese term.

=) I'm sure I'm not the last gay male of Taiwanese ethnicity able to be in a relationship, so if it is your deisre to defy your Armenian friend, power to you and I do hope you have fun over there.

5. Artemicion

I personally would be interested in this topic as well. Being born in Taiwan but moved to Canada at an early age...so I wouldn't know much about what goes on back there in regards to LGBT life.

However, what i've heard from my bi friend, she says the LGBT people are friendly...Although that doesn't say much either...:S Of course like endless poetry says, there definitely are LGBT stuff, but I would guess mainly in Taipei. And definitely way lower key (I do go back to Taiwan once a year as of recent years) from the observations I've made in past trips back. You don't see anything gay in the public, well not anything even close to it where I go in Taipei...

6. gregorpavlik

Hi guys, I would appreciate if you could help me. I am a student and trying to research for school.
    I have created a 10 questions survey that I need people to fill out. The aim is to research current situation of homosexuals and tolerance towards them in Taiwan and Europe. I would be grateful if you could fill out these questions. It´s anonymous.

1. When did you figure out your sexual orientation?
    2. Your friends' reaction when you told them you are a gay/ lesbien
    3. How did your family accept it?
    4. Do you prefer social network or public places in case of meeting new gays/ lesbiens?
    5. Are you interested in foreign homosexuals?
    6. What do you think about current situation of gays/ lesbiens in Taiwan?
    7. What do you think about tolerance towards homosexuals in Taiwan and tolerance in the Middle Europe?
    8. Do you think that the way of accpetting homosexuality in Taiwan can be caused by religions (confucianism, taoism, budhism) ?
    9. Have you ever communicated with anybody from Taiwan? Have you realized any differences in their behavior?
    10. Have your homosexual behavior/ attitude toward homosexuality ever been influenced by your state of your country´s habits?

I would appreciate your own experiences especially with homosexuals from Taiwan (experiences about their behavior, habits, etc).
    Thank you so much for filling out this questionnaire. Your input will help us so much with our research.

Please send me an email with your answers to [email protected]

thank you!!