1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Writing a Novel

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by British Lad, Feb 7, 2011.

1. British Lad

British Lad Guest

I am going to wright a Spy and espionage novel which I will make the main character a (not obvious) bisexual assassin, any thoughts and maybe some good material to work with. Also How long is a descent novel

2. kem

kem

I think you'll do great if you put effort into creating an excellent plot. You shouldn't really worry about the length at this point.

3. Beertruck

The average first novel is around 90,000 words or so. Later novels run as high as 120,000, but publishers won't necessarily take that chance on a first time novelist.

But I agree with Morphim, get your plot and writing down first and don't worry about length. Even if it ends up being shorter (novella or short story length) there's a burgeoning literary magazine market.

4. British Lad

British Lad Guest

Good job I know what I want

5. browneyedboy

hey sounds great, like the idea of him being a non-obvious bi, those stories of guy spy saves gorgeous girl they make out is so overdone. But non-obvious bi spy (who has a friends with benefits relationship with an assistant girl at his hq), saves hot guy they make out.......now theres some reading id be interested in. haha those were just my thoughts running wild. Good luck with the novel :slight_smile:

6. silvousplait

silvousplait Guest

Length does not particularly matter, the story does. You could write a novel that was 50 pages as long as it's a good read.

7. maverick

^ I think this is a cool setup, actually.

And yeah, if it's your first novel, you should shoot for about 100,000 words - it'll end up longer or shorter than that after revision. That's the average length for the first draft of a first novel.

Fiction editing/publishing is what I went to school for. :thumbsup:

8. RaeofLite

Start with your characters! Every character in your novel has to have a motive and do something in your novel. Write their backstories, descriptions etc. Then try writing the setting of your novel. Then write major occurances or organizations involved etc. You'll get a skeleton idea of what you want and then you can fill it in.

Remember to write as if you were describing everything to a blind person who can't see anything. :slight_smile:

That's what I usually go by.

---------- Post added 7th Feb 2011 at 10:42 AM ----------

Also, I wouldn't jump right into the fact that your character is bisexual. Maybe just leave little hints along the way until revealing it later in the novel. I don't know, I'd be iffy about jumping right into it incase you lose some interest at the beginning. Just my two cents.

9. British Lad

British Lad Guest

I will revel he is bi later in the noval

10. British Lad

British Lad Guest

I am hoping to finish the book by october dafts and all (I am using a pc to write it as me hand writing is crap) and get it pubished soon after that, just out of intrest who would buy it?

11. zeratul

zeratul Guest

I dont read any book thats less than 700 pages paperback. I like well-developed characters, worlds, and situations and believe that anything less than 700 pages is going to lack in some way.

I have read awesome stories that are less than that and felt that they lacked a sense of fulfillment.

12. midwestblues

Yowza! Talk about limiting your literary experiences. I strongly disagree with your notion that well-developed characters, worlds, and situations cannot be expressed in less than 700 pages. Yikes.

13. British Lad

British Lad Guest

I am writing it on A4 paper, and It will have twists and turns and a lot of discricption, but don't expect it to be out for a while and I have no deadline so it will be out when it is out.

14. maverick

The only problem with this attitude towards literature is the fact that most publishers won't even touch 90% of drafts half that long, and unless you're the next Stephen King or J. K. Rowling, none of them will even entertain the thought of publishing something that is over 700 pages long. Especially if it's a first-time author.

Hell, they'd have to spend twice as much money as usual just to print the damned thing, and that's money they're already gambling on an author who will, in all likelihood, have a short run and then end up on the remainder table. I don't know a single publishing house that would take that bet, unless they knew for sure they had the next John Grisham on their hands. (And 99.9% of writers just aren't that successful or popular - cold hard fact of life.)

15. TheInquisitor

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    I highly recommend reading The Writer's Journey by Christopher Vogler. It explains the common archetypes and general structure of the Hero's Journey, which applies to pretty much every story ever told. I found it immensely helpful in understanding how to put together a well-paced and enticing story arc.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Writers-Journey-Mythic-Structure/dp/193290736X

16. InaRut

Holy SHAZZZLEBOTS!

James Bond Coming out? I think if anything the story could even become a parody of gender representation within the James Bond "Spy Thriller."

I mean you don't actually have to make it ANYTHING James Bond but I find the notion of James Bond having to come out pretty funny.

As someone who is "Hobby" writing as a means to keep myself feeling creative during times of excessive student writing. I.E. "Furthermore the logical deduction of the anayltical thesis in Bordwell's understanding of classical cinema concludes its description in that the comparative misinterpretations of..." I find myself continuing one particular story that I find myself developing into an actual novel.

I recommened getting on writing sites where you can submit your work chapter by chapter by chapter. By doing this, I've actually really have been able to keep myself motivated to finishing the darned thing as more and more people read, favourite, and review my story.