1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

military job ads appear on gay sites

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by surfrboykai, Oct 18, 2007.

1. surfrboykai

2. xxAngelOnFirexx

:roflmao: leave it to the military...

3. Jerr

I'm fine with homosexuals in the military... as it is now.

Don't ask don't tell... why? Because think about it... during boot camp they are insulted and broken down mentally and physically then rebuilt as soldiers... some stupid fag... Yes. I say fag because only someone deserving such a horrible name would do this, anyways that fag would complain that it is because they are gay... no it is because they are breaking you down! If they show extra hate towards you... it is because you are talking back or complaining or not doing what you're suppose to do...

THAT is why you sign that contract... to prevent some stupid fag from starting a scene getting a lawyer and just making a media frenzy...

4. surfrboykai

no brah. they make the soldiers sign it because a lot of soldiers are homophobic (paging joeyconnick: i've just stated something, so yer free to come in and tear my post apart!) and some soldiers have been beaten down before. it has nothing to do with a "stupid fag" starting a media frenzy.

also, as an aside...if i had made that post, i'd have been ripped to shreds.

5. Jerr

You think the guys in the army can't tell if someone is gay? How stupid do you think they are? Yeah, SOME may get away with it but for the most part everyone knows who is gay... and ya know what? They say the exact same thing "as long as you don't hit on me, we're cool." If they even say anything. Some JOKE about it with each other...

...Can't believe you really think they are that stupid.

6. surfrboykai

don't make assumptions on what i believe, and don't twist my words. i never said i thought they were stupid and that they couldn't tell.

7. Levi

Levi Guest

Gays in the military is not a problem in any other western country but the US.

I don't like how you say that all people joining the military are stupid though jerr. I might agree with you on joining the military to fight for GWB is stupid.. but to join to defend liberal democracy is honorable in my mind.

8. Zec24

Actually, don't ask don't tell was put in place to stop witch hunts. Clinton signed the policy into being in 1993 I believe, prior to this it was assumed that you couldn't be gay and in the military, but people of course were and are. The problem was that people getting into trouble were outing other soldiers to get reduced punishment, hence the witch hunts.

Don't ask, don't tell was supposed to protect gay servicemembers. However it goes against the army value of integrity b/c it forces someone to lie or equivocate. That is the problem I have with the policy I live under.

Jerr is right, most soldiers can tell when another soldier is gay, some don't care and some do. Its harder though if you are female b/c people generally assume most females in the military are lesbians, which is not the case. For all of its homophobia seeming ways, many people in the military joke about being gay, though most would never want to be. Its a strange thing.

I don't know if I can speak for all gay people in the military, but I agree (and I believe most would) wth what Levi said. Most of us didn't join the military to go kill people and destroy things and enjoy war. We joined to defend others rights, and because of a sense of duty to our country.

Anyways, hope that helped.

9. EthanS

EthanS Guest

oo I WAS thiking bout goin into the military, bcoz afta 2 years u can quit ^_^, n u get good pay

10. Steam Giant

"Don't Ask Don't Tell" is a compromise from what the army used to be like. The first question recruiters used to ask people is if they liked the opposite sex. The way "Don't Ask Don't Tell" is enforced is, if you are discovered to be homosexual, you're discharged. The US armed forces discharge an average of 2 soldiers a day for this very reason.

So say you sign up for the average term, 6 years active and 2 years inactive. That means that, during that 6 years, you pretty much have to completely shut yourself off from your sexuality. No boyfriends/girlfriends, no LGBT websites of any sort, nothing.

It's because of this that I'm so against this policy. Straight soldiers can act as straight as they want, gay soldiers have to act straight. The idea disgusts me.

11. Latinokid

Latinokid Guest

You get a good pay....if you survive....if you do go fight

12. Jerr

Read again. I asked Surferboy how stupid he thought they were. That was my response to him when he claimed it was because of homophobia. I mean honestly... they know... and those who do care... aren't even worth the time of day.

I don't dislike those in the military... I think they are all amazing people even if there is a percent in there for all the wrong reasons. The only person I care about is in the Army. I almost went into the Army but he wouldn't allow me. We both saw how it changed him and he didn't want me to change.

It doesn't mean you have to shut yourself off from others... I mean like me and my ex could have gotten away with it if I was in the Army. You can't make out in public... you can't hold hands in public or anything like that but you can still have sex... just keep it to yourself. Basically what me and my ex did. It was our business. Now people knew at football games because I hugged him... and I avoided other guys at football games (I was forced into spandex pants so yeah... lol) But really it was just a short like friendly hug.

13. Steam Giant

Good points, Jerr. Just a couple more words in me before we can leave it at "that's what you think, this is what I think." One, I dunno if I could get by on friendly hugs for 6 years ^^` and two, if you're active duty, you're living on a military base, in a barracks. Having sex without anyone knowing would be extremely difficult. We're also talking about the same military that punishes even straight soldiers for having sex in any way other than missionary style. Either way, I can see where you're coming from, this is just how I view things.

14. Levi

Levi Guest

After rereading i see how i misread. I'll read more carefully in the future Jerr.

15. Jerr

Just in public. Me and my best mate give hugs like crazy... we could do them in public if we wanted because well... I try to keep at least 2 feet away from him physically because I don't want anyone questioning his sexuality but our hugs are like... well they can go on for a few minutes. Only time people see them are when we say goodbye if we have to in front of someone.

No one, other then military personnel, are allowed on the base. You go off base for sex unless you have made yourself a "friend" on base. They are fine when you have sex. Hell, they took my best mate's squad out to a Hooters one night and he got TRASHED and ended up having a one night stand with one of the waitresses... He was late to drill the next day but when he got there they just applauded him. (Oh, I hurt him bad for being stupid like that...)

As long as it doesn't interfere with your duties and you keep it behind closed doors... they don't honestly care.

p.s.
    He is only 18 and they buy him alcohol like that. Now he can't drink all the time on base but they have no problem turning a blind eye if he is drinking... unless he is raising hell and waking people... then they get a free opportunity to kick his ass! (He has done it to a few drunk guys so I'm sure they'd want revenge. Plus... he gets a little cocky when he is drunk.)

The way I'd written it could have been easily misread so no problem. :icon_wink