1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Pansexuality

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by adam88, Feb 9, 2011.

1. adam88

I was reading this thread here and there was a great discussion started on the topic of pansexuality, it's relation to bisexuality and so on. So I made a new thread.

So, what does everybody think? In the thread, I think Maverick nailed it on the head - Bi and Pan are pretty much the same thing. In my opinion, they're two different definitions (or expressions) of the same thing.

However, also as mentioned in the thread, you get all sorts of stereotypes: pansexuality is just a hipster version of bisexuality, or pansexuals fetishize people who are trans, etc.

So... opinions?

2. maverick

I'll be the first one to say I don't know anything about pansexuality. I just have always thought of them as very sexually flexible people who tend to gravitate towards certain personalities, rather than people based on a physical attraction towards them.

But I think you can find that aspect of pansexuality in all of the other sexual orientations. For example, there are heterosexuals who primarily seek a member of the opposite sex based on their personality, rather than looks. But they still act within a heterosexual spectrum. Likewise for homosexuals for whom "personality trumps looks", or bisexuals.

3. Pseudojim

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I somewhat identify as pan, in that i don't give a shit what gender somebody is, if they are lovely and wonderful and compatible with me, i will be attracted to them.

however, i DO find myself physically far more attracted to women than to men. The idea of sleeping with both very much appeals, but faaaar more women take my fancy than do men. This also goes with personality. The personalities of women far more often attract me than do the personalities of men. But there are exceptions to ALL of these rules.

i think pansexuals are just people who absolutely ignore the gender of people when deciding whom to be involved with. Bisexuals perhaps have a bias in one way or another.

I feel i am both, i ignore the gender of people altogether, at least i think so... but i do find myself attracted to more women than men.

It's a label thing, people feel comfortable with all different types of labels.

4. GlindaRose

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I disagree that pansexuality is the same as bisexuality. This is because bisexuality implies gender, whereas pansexuality doesn't.

I think 'pansexual' would be the closest term that describes my sexuality, though I have yet to fancy a guy, because my belief is that anything could happen and I cannot discount anything. For me, love is about the connection you have with a person, regardless of gender, and one day I will meet that person, and be with them and love them no matter whether they're a guy or a girl. Because when you love someone, things like gender will become insignificant compared to the connection you have with that person.

#4 GlindaRose, Feb 9, 2011
    Last edited: Feb 9, 2011
  5. British Lad

British Lad Guest

Pansexuality is were 1 person loves another person regardless of gender and love peoples personalty and well date people between genders with no problem what so ever.

6. Chandra

As I said in the other thread, I think (originally, anyway) the coining of the term "pansexuality" had less to with a new kind of orientation, and more to do with a way of being more inclusive.

The "bi" in "bisexual" = "two", thereby implying there are only two possible genders/sexes.

The "pan" in "pansexual" = "all", thereby allowing for attraction to those who do not identify on one side or the other of the gender binary (ex. intersex, genderqueer, two-spirited, etc.). <-Note that this is not the same thing as transgendered! Trans folk (in my understanding) generally do self-identify within the gender binary - just not with the side that matches their biological sex. (Sorry if I didn't explain that very well.)

#6 Chandra, Feb 9, 2011
    Last edited: Feb 9, 2011
  7. Charme

Charme Guest

So... bisexuals aren't at all attracted to individuals who don't identify within the gender binary? Because, I thought, considering they are attracted to both sexes that they would still be attracted to someone who shared characteristics of both sexes.

8. maverick

Guess I just assumed if someone is open enough about their sexuality to consider sleeping with either a man or a woman, they would have a more open mind than most when it came to sleeping with people who are gender variant or transgendered.

9. I identified as bisexual for six years, but have realized I'm actually gay. This means I don't really know for sure, but I gotta wonder if maybe pansexual and bisexual are really different words for what is basically one thing. People who identify as bisexuals have gotten the short end of the stick in straight communities for being thought of as sluts and in gay communities for apparently not having the balls to admit that they're actually gay.

I'm not saying that this is the case everywhere (obviously, not so much on EC, but in lots of places). I'm just saying that when I identified as bisexual, I wished that everyone would take me more seriously, especially if that meant it was only a different word for the same feelings. (Feelings that I was emotionally attracted to people who I was compatible with and physically could be with anyone, no matter what the gender identity of that person was.)

10. Pseudojim

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    i LOVE genderqueers =D they're so hot. if i can't tell what gender someone is, they're probably hot.

11. Chandra

I didn't say bisexuals aren't attracted to those not within the genger binary. I said the term was coined, as far as I'm aware, to sound more inclusive.

12. TheInquisitor

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    I think bisexual is a more accurate term, because the pan- prefix means all. I don't think people who identify as pansexual are saying they'd screw anything. I guess it's implied that only human beings are included in that though. I'm just being pedantic I guess.

Also, while we're throwing out terms, how about omnisexual?

Also, I've never heard the word monosexual, but it seems like a logical extension of the idea of bisexuality (i.e. a monosexual is someone who isn't bisexual).

13. kwyjibo

If you want my opinion, somebody is pan if they say they're pan. If they say they're bi, they're bi. I just accept what people say.

14. Shevanel

+1

15. Chandra

This.

16. I agree with this, but the point of saying what you identify as is telling people something about yourself. And if no one knows what that actually means, you're not really saying anything. It's confusing and that's why we're talking about what the actual definitions could be for these words people use to describe themselves. Through this, we can all have a better understanding of our diversity.

17. MyPansexualBox

Out Status:
    A few people
    the way i look at it, Pansexuality does have to do with not judging on gender or sex however each person has their own tastes for those the perfer like some like tall people and some like those with blonde hair. Pansexuality just has more to do with not caring about if you are a boy, girl, both or neither. some of what was said is interesting but i find that saying bi and pan are the same is like saying that a house cat and tiger are almost the exact same animal. i have heard the whole Bi = loose morals and i really don't have any role models on the but i don't believe it is so just like i don't think that anyone that isn't straight is desperate or finds the opposite gender to be too hard to be with. i like Pseudojim feel like i am more inclined to like one gender over the other though i am not limited to there.

18. OMGWTFBBQ

Out Status:
    A few people
    l listen to the words that come out a person's mouth and let their actions teach me much, much, much more about them than any label they could have ever will.

---------- Post added 18th Jan 2013 at 05:45 PM ----------

yes and no.

a bisexual person might have a pretty specific attraction pattern even if it does include men and women. OTOH they may not. l think there's room for more variation in it than people are allowing.

l think there's something to be said for not obsessing about one's label which is the vibe l get from some bisexuals more often.

Not necessarily because they're more open but because l think that many wait to see how they might feel about a situation until it happens and take the attraction from there, rather than spending so much time announcing to the world what they're interested in(a little mystery goes a long way, sometimes).

That's kind of the vibe l got from your posts :wink:

#18 OMGWTFBBQ, Jan 18, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 18, 2013
  19. Pret Allez

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    My opinion is that pansexual people should feel free to identify how they want, but they don't get to redefine bisexuality in a way that tars us unfairly.

For example, they don't get to say that we believe in the gender binary and won't date trans* people. They don't get to say that they care about the whole person, whereas bisexual people just care about gender. They don't get to say that pansexuality is somehow a less discriminating bisexuality.

If you think any of the above is true, you're suffering from a belief in crappy politics.

Also, yay for thread necromancy.

20. FollowtheFreeman

[​IMG]