1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Gay love stories are always so tragic.

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by maverick, Feb 10, 2011.

1. maverick

It seems to me like all queer love (not sex, I mean actual head-over-heels love) has this yearning tragic Romeo-and-Juliet tinge to it. Even if you manage to find somebody, the very fact that you love that person is viewed as illicit.

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_y9Vd4tGPi0[/YOUTUBE]

^ Replace Juliet with a dude and have him dutifully dancing with a chick, and tell me that teenage gay dudes can't relate to this situation.

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y2cGX8Safy8[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D92Lyxj7U7Q&feature=fvst[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A57jwqmxSB4[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZA2VZqyP7zQ&feature=related[/YOUTUBE]

Does anyone else see the need for some really hilarious gay romantic comedies?

(Sorry guys, I looked for more "Romeo and Romeo" clips, but female homosexuality is a lot more screen-friendly, apparently. :dry:slight_smile:

#1 maverick, Feb 10, 2011
    Last edited: Feb 10, 2011
  2. Oh my gosh, you are right. I didn't even really realize it at the time because it's so rare for me to see something with openly gay relationships even on it.

Not only would it be refreshing to see something more cheery, also I think it would be good for those who worry that being in a queer relationship means that the relationship is doomed from outside pressure. If all I knew about it was from movies and tv, I'd be terrified.

3. maverick

I really want to write a screenplay for a gay romantic comedy, I'm just not sure what I want to use for a main plot yet. If anybody has any ideas for a cool plot, feel free to share 'em and I'll give you credit if there's a movie. :grin:

4. Beachboi92

whats the last clip from i want to watch it xD

5. maverick

The Mudge Boy.

6. Revan

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Tara and Willow is one of the best. It was my first exposure to homosexual relationships and when Tara was killed, I raged like Willow minus the whole turning someone inside out. Well I think Will & Grace were on the same time but that's not a homosexual relationship lol.

7. MyDecember

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Part of the tragedy in my opinion has to do with two things:
    1. The movie industry is still homophobic. Gay people having successful relationships would alienate people who are curious about homosexuality but don't agree with it. Look at the companies who make these films. The only real positive company is "TLA REALEASING." A lot of their movies have a lot of happy endings, comedies, because they are not mainstream and they are catered to anyone in the GLBT community people.

2. The second reason for these tragic endings has to do with money. Bollywood and Hollywood are famous for having happy endings in every in a great percentage of movies because happy sales and tragics don't. A friend told me this once "would you rather live a happy lie? Or a tragic truth?" Most people would take that happy lie to get away from the truth and that is why people watch movies, go get away from reality. Reality doesn't sale in the U.S. The Anit-ollywood would have to be Japan where they only have 3 types of films, Tragedies (Sale), Gore (sales) and (comedy) doesn't really sale because they have enough of it in in their culture and television.

I'm going to sound hipster but I'm not into the mainstream movies anymore, indie movies are just so much more interesting and real.

9 dead gay guys-Trick-Another Gay Movie- are the only comedies in my library :/ The rest are tragics.

#7 MyDecember, Feb 10, 2011
    Last edited: Feb 10, 2011
  8. Dave

I guess you haven't seen Adam and Steve?
    One of the most funny Gay romcoms I've seen, though it's slightly disturbing...
    My youth group did a screening of it last year

9. RaeofLite

WATCH "Imagine Me & You". It has a happy ending! So does "Better Than Chocolate"

10. Black Cat

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I've seen plenty of gay movies that end happily. Shelter comes to mind immediately, as does Latter Days (they end up together and no one dies), Save Me (it's sad, but it ends happily), Mulligans (it's about an older man finally coming to terms with his sexuality), and I know there are many more. Those are just some of the more popular ones I’ve seen.

Lesbian movies often have happy endings (at least the ones I've seen did). Personally I like when most movies don't end happily. That's why Romeo and Juliet is still so popular after hundreds of years.

11. Kidd

Kidd Guest

I've been complaining about it for the last two years. It isn't just limited to movies and film though, books are the same way. I got a Kindle for Christmas and I've been using it to read a lot of LGBT themed books that I haven't been able to find anywhere else and a majority of them so far have had extremely sad endings or they contain so much sex that it's seriously out of control. It's almost depressing. I've also noticed that gay characters are extremely two-dimensional. I feel like we only have gay characters and not characters who just happen to be gay if you know what I mean. They are totally defined by their sexuality. They can't be a football player or an artist who is also gay, they have to be struggling and tortured souls that face discrimination at every turn. :rolle:

I want to read a story or see a movie about a gay character and I don't want their sexuality to be the main attraction or the engine driving the plot. The only movies I have ever seen like that are Shelter and The War Boys. I don't think I have ever read a book like that except The Perks of Being a Wallflower, maybe.

12. fiendintransit

Hey man! Unsure if you'll see this as it's such an old thread but I identified with what you were sayin' there.. A movie I've just seen popped into my head. Have you seen the made-for-tv movie Gia??

It's a biopic about a supermodel who has a tumultuous life and HAPPENS to be in lovey love love with a woman. The film makers never make a big deal out of her sexuality, it's treated as matter of fact and I was thinking as I watched it "this is so refreshing! It's exactly the same as if she'd been with a guy, but it's a woman."

Unfortunately you do get the tragic climax BUT it's not due to gayness, just the nature of her life and her choices.

Great film, would recommend! (!)