1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Of COURSE my dorms block this site...

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by stad90, Feb 11, 2011.

1. stad90

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    So long story short, I go to BYU-Idaho (it's like a satellite campus). I used to go on here every day, but because I'm living at the dorms, they block and monitor some sites on the web--EmptyClosets included.*

Fortunately, now that they *finally* got 3G for AT&T, I can at least on my iPhone. It's slow and a bit of a pain, and I usually end up typing stuff in the notes app and copying and pasting it onto the site (like right now!) but it's better than nothing.*

Thank you guys so much for all the support. My life is kind of a mess here, and it's great to know that I have access again to a community that understands. Stay awesome and I'll hopefully be out of this jail cell by July!!

2. NickT

Any way you could appeal to the people who handle what's blocked and what isn't? I mean it's not like this is a hookup site or anything...

3. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It's BYU. Totally owned and operated by the Mormonsl, and let's not forget who funded 90% of the Prop H8 campaign. My guess is they know full well what it is and believe we're all heathen :slight_smile: So I doubt that even the most evenhanded appeal would get any meaningful response.

However, this does raise an interesting larger point: As far as I know, BYU is a private nonprofit school, and I don't know if nonprofits that receive federal funds (or federal tax exemption) can filter the Internet legally. It would be an interesting ACLU case if they'd take it.

4. LNahid2000

LNahid2000 Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    You could always use a proxy server to get around the block.

5. InaRut

^ That is a good idea.

6. Revan

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Using a proxy server is quite a good idea. Just search proxy servers on Google. But yeah it's a dumb school. After all Stephenie Meyer graduated from it >_> Though hopefully stad still gets an okay education, I mean anyone who isn't sucked into the whole crap of the Mormon church, they stand a chance of learning and being intelligent individuals :slight_smile:

7. Moonstrike

Moonstrike Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
  8. peaceandlies

I agree with the proxy solution. They used to block Facebook and several other sites at school (until they realised we used proxies, at which point they gave up). I sugest trying http://www.unblockbook.net/ but I have no way of testing it since I don't have any blocked sites. We used it before the blocks came down a few months ago, though. It was geared specially towards unblocking facebook, but it works for other sites.

9. kwyjibo

Web based proxies are very quickly blocked. I recommend Ultrasurf, from www.ultrareach.com - it's faster than most, runs as an exe rather than a site which can be blocked, and is so heavily encrypted it's imossible to view the traffic. Its site may be blocked, but there are plenty of mirrors. Also, you could tether your iPhone to your PC. I don't know if AT&T allows this, but it works.

---------- Post added 12th Feb 2011 at 09:49 AM ----------

Oh and remember - it's impossible to block something completely, if you have the right tools any block can be evaded.

10. xequar

This bears repeating. BYU is a Mormon enterprise, much like the Concordia universities in the US are run by the Lutheran Church Missouri Synod. The Mormons know damn good and well what this site is and what they're doing. They don't want the message that being gay is normal getting out.

11. LNahid2000

LNahid2000 Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Great program! This is what I use as a proxy server.

12. kwyjibo

If you need any help with getting round filters, wall message me. (I can't accept PMs as a regular member) If there's one thing I hate, it's being beaten by a piece of software, and I'll happily help with proxies and the like.

#12 kwyjibo, Feb 13, 2011
    Last edited: Feb 13, 2011
  13. stad90

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Thanks for the advice guys!
    I tried to go to those sites you mentioned (as well as others I found on google) but they were all blocked. I don't want to risk looking up more sites like that, mostly because they do track how many times I visit blocked sites. The last thing I need right now is a visit from the Honor Code board. And I don't plan on being here after next semester, so I'll hopefully be gone by July and transferred to a different college (maybe Oregon State, of they accept my credits!).

Typing like this on the iPhone isn't too bad... I was looking into getting a tethering plan but it's pretty expensive. And the last thing I need is for my parents to start questioning why I suddenly want to bypass school Internet.

Thank you guys so much for your support. I almost feel afraid while I'm here that I'm going to lose the personal progress I've made towards coming out (since nobody here that I know of is out and nobody here knows I'm gay). You guys really do give me hope that I may, one day, be able to come out to everyone and actually be happy with my life. Stay awesome!!