1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

what are your opinions on the following words?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by DougieBoy, Feb 12, 2011.

1. DougieBoy

DougieBoy Guest

What are your opinions on the words faggot/fag, homo/homosexual, or any other discriminatory words to our community. My views are simple, fag and faggot reminds me of sticks cuz in the medieval times thats what they used to burn witches, it's also not part of my vocabulary, neither is homo which for some reason reminds me of the straight people who hate us. All opinions are welcome, and will be respected. :lol:

2. doughts

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I hear someone use f*ggot derogatorily, and it makes me very very angry very very quickly. I don't know why, but it's not cool to wander around using the N-word, so I don't see why f*g should be any different. And homosexual just sounds like someone has a stick up their butt, and not in a fun way.

3. DougieBoy

DougieBoy Guest

Thats respectable, thanks for your input :icon_bigg

4. Enaithor

Yeah, I treat faggot basically the same as the N word.
    Homosexual, to me, sounds like the word people would use when they don't have a problem with it, but don't really want to talk about it...they would sort of mouth the word, treat it a bit like how middle class people are about the NHS (or at least they are in Miranda - I'm working class so i love the NHS <3333)
    I use homo a lot, but although it does depend on the context, I generally don't find it offensive. Sometimes I actually prefer it to gay (usually only in real life conversations), I think because every 5 seconds I hear someone describing a crap pair of trainers or a stupid looking pokémon like Palkia as gay.
    In my opinion, it is acceptable to call, say, a rainbow-flaming Ponyta gay because it is a bit like a unicorn and has rainbow fire coming out of it...but Palkia hello why is that gay

5. Ridiculous

Palkia's head and neck looks like a giant penis. Which in itself isn't inherently gay... but, well, you know.

6. Ethan

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I've never noticed that... D:
    IMO,
    Fag/ Faggot = Highly offensive.
    Homo = I guess depends on context and speaker, but generally derogatory.
    Gay = Meh. I notice it but don't really care.

And that's just the three basic ones...

7. maverick

The words themselves don't really bother me, it's the context they're being spoken in.

8. Mr.Pushover

This is pretty much my feelings on them.

9. ADTR fan

ADTR fan Guest

I take it the same way I take the N-word, if you're claiming it as your own okay, but don't use it as a derogatory term. Like, I go to a school with a high percentage of black students, who call each other nigga. So I don't see a problem with a gay person saying "that's so gay" because they are gay.

10. Saikou7

I agree. It isn't about what you say, but how you say it.

11. maverick

For some reason proximity matters. Like if someone says to me, "He's a fag," when speaking about someone that isn't present, that doesn't really bother me as long as they're not deliberately trying to slur that person, as in, "Yeah, he's gay"....but if someone yells, "Hey fag!!" at that same guy, I'm ready to throw a punch.

12. Zontar

People overvalue certain words too much. I know the difference between being called "a fag" and being called "a fag." Not every group needs "their word", and what makes me much more angrier than being called "a fag" is the hate that they threw behind it.

13. TraceElement

^^^^what they said.

14. jrnewton2

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    One of my best friends calls me her fag sometimes and for some reason it always makes me super happy. Same for when someone calls me their "little homo" or something like that. It really isn't about the words.

15. Kidd

Kidd Guest

^^^^

Totally agreeing with this.

16. DougieBoy

DougieBoy Guest

All are valuable opinions, thanks!

17. Pepsi

Pepsi Guest

You guys like being defined and objectified by your sexuality? That's really interesting because I would be furious if people did that to me. I don't mean to sound like a jerk, I actually think that's really interesting.

18. Kidd

Kidd Guest

I don't think that way. Only my closest friends ever say it and it's meant as a joke or a term of endearment, and I like it. I'm going to be this way for the rest of my life, why not laugh about it and enjoy it with the people I love? People can define me however they want to, I know what I am and am not. :rolle:

19. Elven

Well I suppose you can think like, "No one can make you feel inferior without your consent" so really they're just words, it's your interpretation that matters but personally I don't care about the word it's the amount of malice behind it I notice. Similar to how maverick said that if it's just passivly reffering to someone, I won't care, but if it's direct abuse, you tend to notice.

20. VampConspiracy

I kinda ignore unqualified words. If you're going to try to insult me, at least form a sentence. It's the same reason I have very little problem with profanity.