1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Meeting The Family!

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Ben, Feb 19, 2011.

1. Ben

Ben

So yesterday, my mum met my boyfriend for the first time, because she was up visiting me at uni. I imagine it's pretty scary for your parents to meet your lover for the first time, especially if they're your first partner and same sex. Anyway, I was really scared that they wouldn't get along, but we had a blast, thank goodness.

Wonderful! Now next week I meet his parents for the first time, only he's not out to them… yet. I think this is a set up for a potentially juicy story.
    And the week after that, he's going to meet my grandparents~eep!

So has anyone got any good stories of meeting their lover's family, or their lover meeting their family? Or anything along those lines ^^ ~

:grin:

2. Eleanor Rigby

That's cool :slight_smile: I'm glad you mom and your boyfriend get along well. That's always making things easier.
    I clearly remember the first time my husband met my parents. He was supposed to come home for having an aperitif, then take me to the restaurant, then go back to sleep at his brother's place that was 45 min away by train.
    He and my parents were nervous, and as from me I could have jumped out of my skin. Everything went well and as planned until the moment where he was supposed to take the train, because we have misread the train times and it happened that they were NO train whatsoever for him to get back at his brother's place.
    So we came back at my parents place, and had to explain them the problem, and finaly he stayed there for the night. That was the first time I took a boyfriend at home, so that was kind of awkward. And as we had a family meal the next day, my mum invited him to stay. So from meeting my parents around a quick drink it turned out that he spend the night, and met all the family (parents, brother and grand-parents) around a sunday meal.
    The funny thing is, on the same day, I met his mother and youngest sister at his brother's place where we had to stop by for my husband to collect his things when we were on our way back to my place.
    So it was quite an eventful weekend, but all in all I'm glad it went the way it did :slight_smile:

3. GoinStag

In Loving Memory

Good luck! I'm glad it went well for you when he met your parents.

I wish I had a story to tell lol

4. Revan

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Good luck with meeting your bf's parents...

5. olides84

Nice one Ben! And good luck for next week...some juicy drama would be nice to post as long as it's tied together with a happy ending of course :grin:

6. Maddy

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Good luck Benji :grin:
    I met the girl I like's parents a while back. I brought them cake so I think that helped with the first impression, but it seemed like her father didn't like me for some reason.

7. Flyers2011

My ex lives with her grandma and the meeting story is a little funny. I went to my ex's house when she was moving in. So we get there (I took my ex home after school one day) and her grandma said hi to me and asked me how much I could lift xD. Then, we start moving stuff around in the house, like this huge wooden table.

Now grandma was pretty strong, almost as strong as I am (which for an old woman is intense). Then as we're lifting this table up the stairs she says to my ex (who was checking me out the entire time xD) "your friend here has some serious muscle!" and my ex says (to her 80 something grandma) "Oh yeah, I know. Trust me".

Awkward. . . Lol. But it was really funny and her grandma liked me, which is what matters, right?

8. Lychee

I met my boyfriend's mum before we started dating - it was a brief "Hi, I'm at your house for 3 minutes and am about to go skateboarding with your son, bye" sort of meeting. Anyway, she is probably the most epic person I have ever met, ever, as she suggested to my bf that he invite me over for a sleepover. Which is where it all started :wink:

A week after we officially started dating, his mum suggested that I go on their week long family holiday to the beach with them. Where she had organise for the two of us slept in a completely separate part of the house to the rest of the family.

Anyway, the scary part is that I get along with his mum so well - we're practically the same person. I wonder what Freud would say about that.... :|

His dad I'm not that close to, but he's still a pretty cool guy.

And his 14 year old brother behaves like most 14 year olds do. Makes sexual jokes, etc.

9. flymetothemoon

I met a ton of people from my girlfriend's family all at once which was absolutely terrifying. I met her mom, her sister, her niece, her aunt, and her goddaughter all at once at her college graduation, which also meant I had to sit with them while she was doing her graduation and so I didn't know any of them and didn't have her there to comfort me or help me make conversation with all of these random strangers. Completely nervewracking experience, let me tell you. Everyone really liked me, and I liked them too. Except her niece decided at one point after graduation while we were in a store that she was unimpressed with me spending time with her aunt over her (which is funny because my girlfriend had spent almost the whole day with her niece rather than me at this point), and she kicked me in the leg when she thought nobody was watching. She likes me now, and now it's just a funny story to tell.

10. Ben

Ben

So I thought I might update on how the first meeting with his parents went, just an hour or so ago.

They still don't know we're together—they know we're good friends, but we went out with our good female friend as well with them. And it seems like they've got the wrong vibe. It seems they think those two are together, which is kind of awkward xD
    Sooooo I've got a feeling at the moment that they might think I'm a creepy gay stalker.
    They're staying all weekend, so I guess I'll update on how it progresses. This might be interesting~

11. Enaithor

Ooh sounds like fun!
    Good luck :grin:

12. Aya McCabre

My ex told me about what happened to the boyfriend she brought home to meet her parents..... whilst we were in the car on the way to see them. They live a couple of hours away. It was not a relaxed journey.

On the up-side, I didn't get to hear about the full extent of their homophobia until after we broke up. And they did eventually decide that her sister's boyfriend was worse than I am... So that was nice.

13. Ben

Ben

I'm absolutely shamelessly bumping this thread.

I just stayed with my boyfriend in his house with his family for a few days. His parents still haven't seemed to have picked up on anything, despite his mother washing and ironing his "I AM BISEXUAL" t-shirt… xD They know I'm gay, but I don't think they think of me as a stalker. Maybe just a bad influence; I got him watching 'Britain's Next Top Model'.
    It'd be kind of cool for them to find out before the summer is over, but I don't think my boyfriend is going to come out to them anytime soon. Goodness gracious!
    Anyway, who has more stories? :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

14. TheLilyTribe

@_@ When I met my girlfriends family I was very... surprised. They had known we were dating for a little while, and I was very excited to meet them, I was positive they were quiet pleasant people, just like my girlfriend. So I was invited to have dinner with them and everything started out normal... Then the topic of adopting children came up. Now... at the time I was 15 and my girlfriend 18, and that was the last thing we were thinking about, and I defiantly wasn't expecting the question. So I said "W-what? Isn't that kinda... a long way away?"

I have never seen a woman get so upset in my life. XD After I said that the whole image I had of her parents being quiet was destroyed. Her mom was ranting about how she wasn't going to be a grandma, and her dad was shouting at her telling her to "calm down! They're just kids! She never said we weren't having grandchildren!"

Let it be noted that me and her mom are cool now, but her parents still aren't quiet by any stretch... I find it odd/funny assumed we'd be staying together and adopting at some point. We'd only been dating for like a month and a half.. >.>;

15. Chandra

My gf met my parents and brother a couple of months ago, and all went swimmingly! :slight_smile:

Based on this, I'd say it's entirely possible (even likely?) that they suspect something, but are waiting for the two of you to confirm it.